Downgrading from 4G phone to 3G phone on MyVerizon

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone, I will hopefully be picking up a one-month-used Incredible 2 today! I have had enough problems with my 4G Droid Charge (data drops, poor GPS), to warrant a switch.

Coming from a phone with 4G SIM card, will there be any issues activating the 3G Incredible 2 through MyVerizon.com ?

Also, when I go to sell my Charge, do I leave the 4G SIM card installed, or is it only specific to my phone number?

Thanks...

Eighty_3#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
You will have no problems activating the 3g device using My Verizon. You will be going from 4g to 3g. Its only a pain in the butt switching from 3g to 4g. The sim card will have to be replaced by the new owner. It is free, so dont let them try and charge you.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey, thanks Eight_3, it worked like a charm. No problems at all! I guess I'll just hang on to my 4G SIM card then in case I ever need it again...

By the way, this phone is FAST!!

grvthang

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Aside from the other problems you had, what did you think of the battery life on the Charge? Everyone I know with 4g VZW phones complains about poor battery life.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi grvthang, When it comes to battery life, the Charge is a decent phone, especially now that it finally received Gingerbread (yes, just last week). Because the 4G would eat battery so quickly I always left the phone in CDMA mode (3G), so it was essentially a 3G phone for me, and battery life as a 3G Gingerbread phone seemed comparable to the Inc 2.

People get excited when their 4G phones can stay on for 12 hours at a time, and I say really?? It is a requirement for me that my phone's battery last all day. At this stage in the technology I am really believing that 4G is overrated for most people's smartphone use, unless you are doing lots of video streaming or big downloads all the time. It is no surprise to me that Apple decided to hold off another year on 4G for the iPhone.

Speaking of Apple... as a company that has historically set precedents for technology (iPod, iPhone, iPad), I think the fact that Apple stayed with a 3.5" screen another year gives credence to the thought that mega-screens are not necessarily what the masses are looking for. Echoing the voices of others on this forum, I think the Inc2 hits the sweet spot for screen size.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi grvthang, When it comes to battery life, the Charge is a decent phone, especially now that it finally received Gingerbread (yes, just last week). Because the 4G would eat battery so quickly I always left the phone in CDMA mode (3G), so it was essentially a 3G phone for me, and battery life as a 3G Gingerbread phone seemed comparable to the Inc 2.

People get excited when their 4G phones can stay on for 12 hours at a time, and I say really?? It is a requirement for me that my phone's battery last all day. At this stage in the technology I am really believing that 4G is overrated for most people's smartphone use, unless you are doing lots of video streaming or big downloads all the time. It is no surprise to me that Apple decided to hold off another year on 4G for the iPhone.

Speaking of Apple... as a company that has historically set precedents for technology (iPod, iPhone, iPad), I think the fact that Apple stayed with a 3.5" screen another year gives credence to the thought that mega-screens are not necessarily what the masses are looking for. Echoing the voices of others on this forum, I think the Inc2 hits the sweet spot for screen size.

I'll agree with that. I bought a Palm Pixi Plus (off contract for $55) last June to lock in unlimited data, I was thinking I'd look at the new superphones (Razr, Rezound & Nexus) and get one of them. The Razr and Rezound are both great looking phones. They're just TOO BIG. Even though I'd still like to look at the Nexus I picked up one of the Red Dinc 2's over Thanksgiving weekend. Been very pleased with it so far. I like a lot of the Sense features, phone seems fairly quick (for those worried/talking about lag, I guess I have a different definition than most - the phone may take an extra 0.5 - 1.0 seconds to do some things but I don't really mind or care). I'm firmly convinced that the sweet spot for phones (if you really want them to fit comfortably in your pockets) is 3.5-4.0". I'm hoping (I have another line upgrade my wife will never use) that when the next superphones come out next fall (Tegra 3, etc.) that second gen mid range phones will have dual core and 2nd gen LTE (.28 nm process). Until then, my Dinc 2 looks great (I love the red - looks like no other phone on the market) and easily lasts me a day+. As far as the unlimited data I only use about 100 meg a month - I'm on WiFi a lot and I really don't stream much. I must say that Netflix looks great on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez