mtcowdog

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Inc2 looks great to me. I need to upgrade my OG Droid and global would be very helpful. Although LTE is theoretically global, that's a long ways off, and I live in an area that will be LTE free for some time.

If I can get Verizon to unlock the phone, does that mean it is fully functional (voice and data where available) on GSM networks by purchasing a SIM card? Verizon roaming seems stupid expensive. And then what happens when I come back to the US? Do I seamlessly go back to Verizon's CDMA network? My hope is that the only thing that happens is I get a temporary local number when I travel (via SIM card), but that everything else works and transitions back when I come back to the US. Contacts, email, files, etc. are good to go, even if they changed while traveling?

Finally, any tradeoffs with a global phone worth worrying about? For example, battery life is fundamental for my mobile needs. Is there a battery hit with both CDMA and GSM radios?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Sugrat

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about the battery but i'll be surprised if you can put anyone else's sim in to this unit..

I remember from my storm 2 that the sim was already in place and the only way to get it active was to call Verizon and have them turn it on for the period i needed it globally and then disabled it when i returned to the US.

Reactions: chassum

CharlotteJacket

May 28, 2010
Visit site
My Global Roaming Experience

This is a collection of experiences on a number of different phones, but I hope it helps.

- I've been a VZW customer for more than 10 years (back to GTE days), so when I call to tell them that I'm leaving the country for a week and I want to unlock my SIM, they've let me do it in the past. None of my current VZW wireless phones are SIM locked now, but I think that depends on the length of time you've been with them.
- I also have an AT&T Galaxy Tab that I bought specifically because I'm spending a lot of time in Europe. There is a thread on XDA that explains how to unlock a Samsung SIM because AT&T would not do that for me (not a customer long enough). I have a Vodafone SIM that I use when I'm in the UK/Europe, and I put my AT&T SIM back in on the plane on the way home. It can take an hour, sometimes more, for everything to work correctly after I land going either way, but my contacts and all of my other data work seamlessly regardless of the carrier. The battery life is better than the Aria, but it's not driving two radios.
- My work phone is a VZW Tour, and the battery life is similar overseas to what I get on CDMA at home, but BB's have rock-solid battery performance anyway.
- I also bought an HTC Aria off eBay and use that, but it does not have the 3G frequency radio for Europe, so that gets limited use, but it does work just the same way with SIM card changes.

I hope that helps some. I'm planning to dump the Aria, get the DI2, and run the Tab Wifi-only to the DI2 when it comes out. At that point, I'd see the Tab as a book reader, wifi browser, and movie player, so even the tether requirement isn't solid.

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm concerned. I was under the impression that the Inc 2 would allow the user to use a prepaid mobile service when abroad. Comments in this thread and on page 12 of the User Manual (below) make me think that all mobile service abroad has to be provided by VZW - and we just WILL NOT bother with that (too expensive).

*This smartphone comes with a SIM card installed, which along with a Global Feature activated on your Verizon Wireless account, enables you to make calls and access email in GSM networks while traveling overseas. See verizonwireless.com/vzglobal for information on rates, coverage and destinations.
We're disappointed, but hopeful that the Inc 2 WILL allow for use of local mobile services abroad. Guess it's back to BlackBerry for true global users.

Balthazar B

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm concerned. I was under the impression that the Inc 2 would allow the user to use a prepaid mobile service when abroad. Comments in this thread and on page 12 of the User Manual (below) make me think that all mobile service abroad has to be provided by VZW - and we just WILL NOT bother with that (too expensive).

We're disappointed, but hopeful that the Inc 2 WILL allow for use of local mobile services abroad. Guess it's back to BlackBerry for true global users.

The service overseas is provided by Vodafone (and perhaps others with whom VzW has agreements), but yes, it's pretty expensive (much more than prepaid local services). After thinking through the alternatives, it seems to me the best way to go -- if you use an Android in the States -- is to get a relatively inexpensive unlocked Android device (like one of the ZTEs) that supports UMTS 900/2100 and the standard GSM frequencies, get a cheap prepaid voice/data SIM, and you'll have seamless access to all your stuff. You can resell the device on eBay or Craigslist when you're done and probably recoup most of the cost.

I just decided that the tradeoffs with the global phones available simply aren't worth it. If you like everything else about the Inc2 and are willing to bet that you'll be able to root/unlock it someday, it might be worth considering, but I still believe getting a device that takes advantage of all the Euro 3G frequencies is better.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I think you're on the right track, Balthazar. Although, I confused you by saying "abroad" - our coverage needs are in South America. :)

When the Inc 2 is released & VZW starts answering questions about the phone, I am going to ask them if they will unlock the sim card in the Inc 2. If they don't, they lose a sale. When my contract (the main one) expires in December, I'll re-evaluate Verizon's ability to meet our needs. hehe