Phone/Contact Question on Incredible

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
When I dial someone's phone ## without using the area code the person's contact info doesnt show up? I programmed all contacts using area code so if I needed to text someone it was much easier. Is there anyway to set the area code on the device so I don't need to dial area code first each time to see the person's contact info?

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Cell phones require area codes to be dialed, no matter what. Now, there's probably something I don't know and I'm about to be proved wrong, but I've never been able to dial just ###-#### and complete a call.

Limjelo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I never dial an area code when the person I'm calling is in my area code.
Cell phones require area codes to be dialed, no matter what. Now, there's probably something I don't know and I'm about to be proved wrong, but I've never been able to dial just ###-#### and complete a call.

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I can dial within my area code without dialing the area code.
As for the OP's question, I tried doing the same thing, and realized when you dial in a number, Android is treating #'s like letters in doing a contact search. So I guess the answer is no.:(

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
When I dial someone's phone ## without using the area code the person's contact info doesnt show up? I programmed all contacts using area code so if I needed to text someone it was much easier. Is there anyway to set the area code on the device so I don't need to dial area code first each time to see the person's contact info?

I think the answer to your question is no. I'm curious why you aren't texting a contact by typing their name vs. typing in their phone #?

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm talking about dialing their number.. say I live in an area code 643 and I wanted to dial my friend who had the same area code I would have to dial 643-333-3333 to get the contact name to come up because I programmed all my contacts with the area code in it for texting purposes but I do just type the contact name when I am texting.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Type their name to call or text. When you see intended name in the list, just tap it to call or long press their name and choose sms or email etc etc. No need to use their number.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Surley this is easily updated. All other phones do it....and no, you don't have to dial an area code INSIDE your area code

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I know on the Blackberry platform there is a setting for your area code. I believe this is used for just such a situation. Perhaps there is a similar setting for Android - I don't know since I am waiting for my Dinc to arrive :(

jnick#AC

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the issue at hand here is the fact that the phone is not designed to work that way. When you are in the phone app, you should not be typing in a persons number to search, instead, start typing in their name. Push '2' for ABC or 3 for 'DEF', etc. Then your friends number will automatically come up.

brina042

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Surley this is easily updated. All other phones do it....and no, you don't have to dial an area code INSIDE your area code

You do in some places now b/c some areas are getting too big and now have 2 area codes in that certain area. I have to now, and it's a pain :(

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

You do in some places now b/c some areas are getting too big and now have 2 area codes in that certain area. I have to now, and it's a pain :(

This.

They're known as Overlay Codes, or sometimes as "10 digit dialing" and most densely populated areas have them now because they've used up all the exchanges available, and the number of phone numbers keeps growing in leaps and bounds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89