"message not downloaded" "generic network failure"

nopants

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Some background:

New Incredible, setting up and downloading everything in sight on Thursday. Late last night (Friday) started having issues with mobile network and internet access while not on wi-fi. I have been using wifi predominantly so I think this issue was in the background but I didn't notice because I wasn't using 3g internet access. When I shut off wifi, I was getting access errors and, in my QuickSettings app, it said that there was no APN configured. The HTC settings app, under mobile network, simply said "turning on".

Searched around and discovered that this might be a problem with the app itself (QuickSettings) so I uninstalled it, did *22899 and rebooted. 3g problems went away but now I'm getting intermittent status bar messages that say "message not downloaded - generic network failure".

I am using Handcent and I *think* I'm getting all the messages I've been sent but how could I tell? I've been getting some, at least. I turned off the auto-retrieve for the HTC native messages app but I'm still getting the status message periodically. The phone will vibrate and notify like I've gotten a SMS but all I'm getting is the error message - about every 10 minutes.

From searching around it appears that this has been a thing with the Eris but the fact that it *was* working and now it's not is confusing to me. Is there a known conflict out there with an app combination that does this? I searched the forums and the google but I'm coming up empty.

Help?

Over the course of the day, I have linked this to MMS's for certain but I don't know if it's only an MMS issue. Handcent and the native HTC messages app both show an incoming message and the option to download but Handcent simply can't download it and the HTC app is the one giving the status bar error message.

If a hard reset is required to fix this, so be it, but how did this occur in the first place? It doesn't seem to matter if I'm on wifi or not, I simply can't download MMS's...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If it were me, I would probably do a hard reset and start over. Afterwards, I'd stay away from the QuickSettings app, and possibly Handcent as well.

Before you do that, you could go into the messaging settings and check under MMS Connection Settings to make sure

MMSC = http://mms.vtext.servlets/mms
MMS proxy = not set
MMS port = not set
MMS protocol = WAP 2.0

There could also be a conflict between Handcent & the HTC messaging app, where they are both trying to download the same message at the same time, in which case you could also try disabling auto retrieve messages the HTC messaging app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii