HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Reset + 22 days

Internal phone memory 6.6 total, 6.49 no change from yesterday
Phone Memory 748 total, 704 no change from yesterday
HTC mail 38.77 up from 25.54 yesterday ( 32.71 data + 6.07 cache) thats a big jump I think.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Reset + 22 days

Internal phone memory 6.6 total, 6.49 no change
HTC mail 38.77 up from 25.54 yesterday ( 32.71 data + 6.07 cache)

Pacific_Jay

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if there was a fix for this released and I apologize if there was (I checked the phone and it stated I had the latest version). I haven't used HTC Mail for over 2 weeks now and am sticking to just GMail and K-9. I didn't really want to reset my phone as HTC Support and Verizon Support suggested, plus reading many posts on the topic - resets really do not work in most cases.

So what I essentially did 2 weeks ago was eliminate all accounts and cache from HTC Mail. Next I powered down the phone and pulled the battery out for at least 5 minutes. The "phone storage getting low" error will still show up in the notification bar even after boot up. I dragged the notification window down and the error disappeared.

Two weeks go by and without the use of HTC Mail, I get the low storage error again. I checked the memory usage and it shows 88mb with 0 cache. I have not downloaded any applications in the last 2 weeks as well. My SMS/MMS messages are at 0 (I clear it out nightly) and K-9 only clocks in at 9mb with 22kb cache. I could not find any reason for the low storage error so I removed the battery for 5 minutes and the error went away. After this process of pulling out the battery for 5 minutes, HTC Mail still shows up in Manage Application as the highest space hog, but the error no longer exists and my downloads have presumed.

I don't mind (for now) having to pull out the battery for 5 minutes every two weeks. I am a former BB Storm user that had to pull out the battery every week for about a minute. The HTC Incredible usefulness has way out-weighed this little programmatic bug (for now).

P_J
HTC Incredible
- 2 x Gmail account (delete messages after I read them)
- 1 x account in K-9 - Corporate mail with 2+mb limit for attachments saved to SD card with 100 email view and 5 minute retrieval
- 6.55GB available in phone storage (out of 6.60GB)
- 5.67GB available on SD Card storage (out of 8GB)
- approximately 23 applications downloaded and used

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Reset + 23 days

HTC mail 33.77 down from 38.77 yesterday ( 28.49 data + 5.28 cache)

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Reset + 24 days

HTC mail 34.32 up from 33.77 yesterday ( 28.95 data + 5.37 cache)

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
TucsonChuck
Can you tell us what you have in your Trash file?
Have you deleted those since your last reset? If not, I bet that is why your file continues to grow.
I checked my trash file and there are emails since the last time I cleared it out over a week ago and my download is set for 3 days.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
My Status

OK,
I checked my HTC mail size. It was 17mb

I went into the folders and deleted the sent file items and then deleted the trash file (it now has all the sent items I deleted). There were something like 148 emails in my main acct. and 75 in my secondary acct. These spanned 11 days since my last clearing.
After that I cleared the cache. I now have 7mb in the htc mail app.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This is VERY strange. I just reset the phone and the values are exactly the same as they were pre-reset.
--------------
Internal Phone Storage: 6.60GB
Available Space: 139MB
---------------
Phone memory: 748MB
Available space: 653MB
----------

My phone is otherwise running fine. I have a decent number of apps installed, but NOT 6.5GBs worth of them...so why is only 138MB available?

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just connected the phone to my Mac and the Internal Storage drive labeled DROID has indeed 7.09 GB of space, of which only 145.1MB is available. When I go through the folders, none of the folders have more than 60MB of data tops. So I'm not sure if there is a secret folder that is hidden and hogging up the resources?

I don't want to have to format the Internal Storage because I will lose all the data. Yes, my contacts are synced, but all my apps would have to be downloaded again.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I found the culprit - had to connect the phone to a PC. For some reason, Macs don't show the hidden files that were created on a PC originally. A trashes folder had 6 Gigs worth of videos that I erased on the PC, but that never disappeared on the phone. Weird...at least I don't have to do a factory reset now. So does this mean that we have 6 Gigs of space for apps? Probably not. I had a problem with my Mail and was getting that Low on Storage message so before I even downloaded these videos, I had to change my mail settings to 3 days and I limited attachment size. I only had 1 Yahoo, 1 GMail & 1 Exchange account. I was a bit disappointed. Not sure if the problem is on HTC's front or whether or not HTC is limited by what Android gives them. In any way, I wish we had at least the option of running this phone with a stock Android edition. I like HTC's software, but it would be nice to switch.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
TucsonChuck
Can you tell us what you have in your Trash file?
Have you deleted those since your last reset? If not, I bet that is why your file continues to grow.
I checked my trash file and there are emails since the last time I cleared it out over a week ago and my download is set for 3 days.

San Jaun, here are my numbers

Cox account (Trash) emails go back to this last Monday, only five emails
Hotmail account empty
Yahoo account empty

If you don't delete a email, and it's removed after 3 days, does the email go to the trash folder, or just "gone"?

*** Notice, I have not kept track how often I deleted my trash folders, if at all, but will not delete them from now on and note how long they stay there. If I would have bet on it, I would have stated that they were only in the trash for the same amount of time the emails are downloaded, in my case 3 days also... But based on your observation, i would have lost...

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Once I get an email, it stays in my inbox until i delete it and then it goes to the trash folder. It won't auto delete after 3 days. Items in my trash folder will stay there until I delete them.
You need to clean out the sent items and trash folders or the file size will continue to increase.
Just like your computer, you need to delete the deleted items.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I STILL have 26 MB of data in HTC mail after deleting EVERYTHING, including the account! Probably stuck there until I master reset.

TucsonChuck

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Once I get an email, it stays in my inbox until i delete it and then it goes to the trash folder. It won't auto delete after 3 days. Items in my trash folder will stay there until I delete them.
You need to clean out the sent items and trash folders or the file size will continue to increase.
Just like your computer, you need to delete the deleted items.

Ok, this will need to be followed up on, but there are no emails in any of my POP accounts, whether it's the "In", "Sent", or "Trash" folder, older then 3 days. This is in line with my setting for downloading 3 days worth. It looks like it does not matter if I delete them or they expire.

I was sure by now that I would have needed to do a factory reset.

Reset + 25 days

Internal phone memory 6.6 total, 6.11 avail down from 6.49
HTC mail 26.97 down from 34.32 yesterday ( 19.97 data + 7.73 cache)