Incredible ringer goes silent for no reason

agolz12

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a problem with my incredible and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to solve it.

I am using an MP3 as my ringtone and sometimes when I get a phone call my phone will only play the first second of the ringtone and then go silent.

The volume is all the way up, the problem is intermittent and the phone does it when it's in my pocket or laying on a table. I do not have the "quiet ring on pickup" option checked. Any ideas?

jwehrer

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I haven't had that experience. Seems to be working fine for me so far. I've had mine since 5/2/2010 and have made 3 or 4 ringtones and assigned them to various contacts. So far it's working fine. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experiences.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
That does happen to me from time to time - I assumed that two update things were happening simultaneously and it just cut short the ringtone.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
i have not had that problem either. if i was you tho, i would go to a verizon store and show them your problem and they might exchange it. does it do that with all rings or just the mp3s?

agolz12

May 19, 2010
Visit site
No Task killer installed, I've tried restarting the phone and it still does it. It really doesn't happen all that often so I don't know if it's a big enough problem for me to return it for a refurb.

I'm now testing it with one of the stock ringtones, the last time a ringtone cut out on me before this morning was a week ago so it could be a while before I find out if changing the ringtone made a difference.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Are you moving your Phone when it does that pretty sure 2.1 sense has a feature when you flip your Phone while ringing it turns the ringer off

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a different MP3? Maybe the bit rate is too high, MP3 too long, or the phone silence on pickup or flip over may be activating. Same ole' solution have you tried a factory reset lol?

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does this only happen when the phone is laying on its screen??

I'm not 100% positive, but i think its a feature where if your phone is screen size down, it mutes the ringer. I have a friend that has a phone and when he gets a phone call and wants to mute the ringer quickly, he can just lay the phone on its screen and it'll mute the ringer.

I'm guessing its that same feature....but i keep forgetting to test it.

EDIT:I just tested this, and i was right. If you get a phone call, you just place the phone on the screen and it'll mute.

i find it weird that you guys didn't already know this. i feel kinda good pointing it out!!

Last edited:

agolz12

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Does this only happen when the phone is laying on its screen??

I'm not 100% positive, but i think its a feature where if your phone is screen size down, it mutes the ringer. I have a friend that has a phone and when he gets a phone call and wants to mute the ringer quickly, he can just lay the phone on its screen and it'll mute the ringer.

I'm guessing its that same feature....but i keep forgetting to test it.

EDIT:I just tested this, and i was right. If you get a phone call, you just place the phone on the screen and it'll mute.

i find it weird that you guys didn't already know this. i feel kinda good pointing it out!!

When my ringtone went silent this morning my phone was laying face down, I also reproduced it tonight when it was laying face down on the table, I never picked it up and set it back down it just laid there and went silent. Maybe the flip the phone to silence feature is being activated when the phone is just laying face down sometimes.

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
When my ringtone went silent this morning my phone was laying face down, I also reproduced it tonight when it was laying face down on the table, I never picked it up and set it back down it just laid there and went silent. Maybe the flip the phone to silence feature is being activated when the phone is just laying face down sometimes.

Exactly. If you have the phone laying face down, it will mute the ringer automatically. Thats how the feature works, it uses the light sensor on the front of the phone and if its DARK (aka, laying face down), then it mutes the ringer.

Maddingo

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. If you have the phone laying face down, it will mute the ringer automatically. Thats how the feature works, it uses the light sensor on the front of the phone and if its DARK (aka, laying face down), then it mutes the ringer.

Don't think the light sensor is what does that. I keep mine in a closed neoprene case and it still rings. More likely the accelerometer. If the phone is already facing down, it should ring. If you turn it down while it's ringing it will silence.

pmas

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Mine does this too. It happens with any ringer (stock or my own) and face up or face down makes no difference. The setting for quiet the ringer is not checked. According to VZW Tech, It is a bug in the software. If I restart the phone, it will usually be ok for a day or two, then start again. I have done several factory resets to cure it too, but it always comes back in a few days. I am currently experimenting with removing the google voice app. I had read in other forums that the app, for some reason, can cause this. I only use google voice for voicemail so I was a bit skeptical of this fix. I figure, it only runs when I get a voicemail, so how can it affect the ringer? But three days in and it hasn't happened. So if you have google voice app, uninstall it for a few days and see what happens.
Let us know how it works.

mr.s4ndm4n

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine does this too. It happens with any ringer (stock or my own) and face up or face down makes no difference. The setting for quiet the ringer is not checked. According to VZW Tech, It is a bug in the software. If I restart the phone, it will usually be ok for a day or two, then start again. I have done several factory resets to cure it too, but it always comes back in a few days. I am currently experimenting with removing the google voice app. I had read in other forums that the app, for some reason, can cause this. I only use google voice for voicemail so I was a bit skeptical of this fix. I figure, it only runs when I get a voicemail, so how can it affect the ringer? But three days in and it hasn't happened. So if you have google voice app, uninstall it for a few days and see what happens.
Let us know how it works.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but have you tried calling it when its laying face up. I've tried this MULTIPLE times now, and it ONLY goes silent when the phone is laying face down, and if its face up it rings just fine. But if i place it face down when its ringing, then it goes silent.

This cannot be just a HUGE coincidence.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying you're wrong, but have you tried calling it when its laying face up. I've tried this MULTIPLE times now, and it ONLY goes silent when the phone is laying face down, and if its face up it rings just fine. But if i place it face down when its ringing, then it goes silent.

This cannot be just a HUGE coincidence.

It's not, my wife's is doing this too.

If the phone is ALREADY face down when it gets a call, it doesn't ring.
Yes, if it's face up and you flip it over DURING a call it does what it's supposed to do and goes silent.

But again, if it's already face down, and gets a call, it doesn't ring. I'm fairly sure that's NOT supposed to happen.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Just tested a few things. She told me I was the only caller that this would happen to. (if the phone is already face down when i call, it doesn't ring.) She was using a custom ringtone for me so I had her change it first to a default phone ringtone. It worked perfectly while face down when I called. I then had her change it to a different custom song ringtone and i called again. It worked perfectly. It seems it was that particular mp3 ringtone that was the culprit. I don't know why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress