Should I get the Incredible?? Convince me!!

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to get the Incredible but Verizon was out of stock so they gave me a Droid instead while stating that once the Incredible was in stock I could switch to it free of charge regardless of if the out-of-stock problem lasted past my 30 day return or not.

Well its been a few days and I must say I have really grown to like the droid. I rooted it and OCed it and everything runs great. Hell even JIT is running with no problems.

Coming from ATT and the iPhone I figured ehh hardware keyboard isn't a big deal for me...now that I have one (Had one years ago when I had BB's) I am starting to appreciate the choice of using it when I want to as opposed to being limited to onscreen only.

I know I am posting in an Incredible thread and I am bound to get biased results but still...I want to know what made you choose the Incredible over the Droid.

I read all of the reviews and comparisons but am just seeking a bit more personal opinions.

Thanks in Advance.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I never wanted the Droid. It's up to you. If you want the Droid keep it......nobody can tell you which one will fit your tastes better than you.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
While I agree with that I am completely split 50/50 so hearing personal opinions from people that were in the same situation has always helped me in stuff like this.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well basically faster processor, 8GB of internal memory, more rom, more ram, better screen (in my opinion) no tacked on keyboard I buy a touch screen to use it, better camera.....really it's a better phone. From everyone else on these forums it basically comes down to how much you care about the metal body and the keyboard.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, you rooted it already and you can't do that with the Inc. So if that is important to you, stick with the Droid. I have had both - hated the Droid but I came from an iPhone and I just like the UI better on the Inc. The most glaring problem for me on the Droid was the awful camera - that and the fact it had a keyboard that I would never use.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i am switching back and forth between the hardware keyboard and onscreen.

I did play with an Incredible for a bit instore and oddly enough it didn't seem as snappy as my droid.

Root is important but not so important that it would bother me to get a phone that does not have a root exploit yet.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
view based on personal preference
Originally started with Droid and absolutely loved it. I wanted the nexus one once it was released but unfortunately it never made it's way over to Verizon. The intrigue of the nexus basically influenced my purchase of the Incredible.

The N1 and Inc are basically identical devices with the Inc having improved HW, while the N1 will always be Google's baby and will be first to get updated to new OS revisions.

The Droid while cool still felt way heavier then a phone should feel. I also like to stay on the bleeding edge and felt the INC just provided a superior hardware platform then the droid.

technology is moving fast. The Incredible is currently the premier phone for Android(n1 honorable mention). This will all change on June 4th though. It will then change again within a few months. The rate of progression is too fast. If you look at release cycles 5 month old phone is almost dinosaurish.

I was hyped to get the Inc initially but was stunned when it exceeded the hype I gave it.

Much faster then Droid
Better camera then droid
more ram then droid, system is a breeze even with sense overlay
sense is not too bad.. at least soem of their widgets are pretty cool
Better feel to it. Doesn't weigh your hand down. Reallyt needed to grip that Droid to get things done. In comparison the Inc felt like a light netbook and the Droid feels like a laptop from 1997

If you like the bleeding edge then the choice is a no brainer. Rest assured as root should be achieved shortly. Just a matter of time, which brings me to

view based on economics

if you stick the droid its resale value will likely plummet with the release of two new high end Android devices by Motorola on the Verizon network.

The current avg price on ebay for a droid is ~$240. The resale price of the incredible is $500+. if I were you I'd just return the Droid and go with an alternate cheap phone until mid July. Take a good look at the new Moto devices released and then make a decision.

Those devices will likely be the standard $200 with 2 yr activation.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
view based on personal preference
Originally started with Droid and absolutely loved it. I wanted the nexus one once it was released but unfortunately it never made it's way over to Verizon. The intrigue of the nexus basically influenced my purchase of the Incredible.

The N1 and Inc are basically identical devices with the Inc having improved HW, while the N1 will always be Google's baby and will be first to get updated to new OS revisions.

The Droid while cool still felt way heavier then a phone should feel. I also like to stay on the bleeding edge and felt the INC just provided a superior hardware platform then the droid.

technology is moving fast. The Incredible is currently the premier phone for Android(n1 honorable mention). This will all change on June 4th though. It will then change again within a few months. The rate of progression is too fast. If you look at release cycles 5 month old phone is almost dinosaurish.

I was hyped to get the Inc initially but was stunned when it exceeded the hype I gave it.

Much faster then Droid
Better camera then droid
more ram then droid, system is a breeze even with sense overlay
sense is not too bad.. at least soem of their widgets are pretty cool
Better feel to it. Doesn't weigh your hand down. Reallyt needed to grip that Droid to get things done. In comparison the Inc felt like a light netbook and the Droid feels like a laptop from 1997

If you like the bleeding edge then the choice is a no brainer. Rest assured as root should be achieved shortly. Just a matter of time, which brings me to

view based on economics

if you stick the droid its resale value will likely plummet with the release of two new high end Android devices by Motorola on the Verizon network.

The current avg price on ebay for a droid is ~$240. The resale price of the incredible is $500+. if I were you I'd just return the Droid and go with an alternate cheap phone until mid July. Take a good look at the new Moto devices released and then make a decision.

Those devices will likely be the standard $200 with 2 yr activation.

What comes out June 4th?

My 30 days expires on the 5th and if theres something a tad better then the Incredible coming out for Verizon, I may just take a look :)

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
was talking about the evo 4g. Obviously it won't be available for Verizon. IMHO it will become the premier Android device. It will have the 4g capability, even if Sprint's coverage is really 3.5g, not available everywhere, and spotty.

The device itself is a knockout and is one sexy bit%$. I would def scoop if it were on verizon.

BTW, I'm thinking about selling my Inc on ebay right now just to take advantage of the scarcity. Think I can get a good $550 for it right now.

All I need is a replacement for a few months. I'm really intrigued by the new Moto devices about to be released. They appear to have superior HW and may come with 2.2 preinstalled.

If I sell the Inc no then at least I will future proof my money so I don't fall too far behind in this fast paced technological game.

I just wished the Eris's price plummeted so i can use it as go between Android device for me.

If I could get an Eris for $50, I'd buy it and keep it for these occasions.

I couldn't even imagine going back to a non Android device.

'But how will my contact sync. You mean I have to pay for text messaging?'

May 29, 2010
Visit site
gspeed I really appreciate that review it really helped out alot.

Unfortunately I cannot live without a smartphone so cheap alternative in the Android world isn't really available yet.

Honestly to me as much as I like to be on the bleeding edge, phones are a place where it is increasingly difficult due to contracts and decreased life cycles of these phones.

I know Motorola is coming out with two new devices but I honestly feel that if one of them is a Droid 2, a decision to ditch my droid now would ultimately be how I feel about a droid 2 or 3 or 4 as long as they kept that same body form which according to rumors they are.

The other phone coming out, Shadow or whatever may or may not be as good or better than the Inc. Honestly I am a bit skeptical with the benchmarks and such. I am willing to bet it is running 2.2 and that seems to play a massive role in these speed increases we are seeing.

In year or so the dual-core phones should be out as well...I am getting at the constant catch up game we are talking about here.

Obviously if the new Motorola devices come out this month BEFORE the Inc is in stock than I would add them to the decision but more than likely they wont and so my choice as of now is between these two phones.

A Major factor which i forgot to mention was that I came from ATT with an iPhone 3GS and we all know the upcoming announcement of a 4th Gen iPhone will damage the resale value of my 3GS which if you check ebay are selling like hotcakes.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the shadow the codename for the droid2?? From what I've seen in screenshots it's moto's version of the EVO. It will have comparable if not better hardware than the INC and EVO. 2.2 won't matter come the end of summer because Google already stated during I/O that the next version would be coming by then.

The next Droid, if it is the Shadow, is adopting the EVO form factor and will not have a keyboard. As far as dual core processors in cell phones, I doubt you will see that in the next year, maybe 2 if not three years down the road, I mean they just broke the 1Ghz barrier and it isn't what I would consider a perfect solution yet.

The last I heard about any new phones coming to Verizon, it would be July at the earliest and it's supposed to be two new offerings. One of those I suspect will be the Android tablet to compete with the ipad. Just something to chew on.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I am basing the Dual-Core's off a recent post on either this site or Endgadget or something I read earlier today stating that the dies are already shipping but won't make it to phones this year. Obviously it could end up taking years but was just mentioning it.

From what I have heard the Shadow is the Evo form factor whereas the Droid2 is the basic Droid form factor we have now but with a few minor tweaks.

Either way you pointed out something that I previously mentioned impacts my decision. July.....I can't go back to ATT because of the new iPhone release coming in I want to sell my iPhone now before the price drops from it. I learned that from my friends when the 3gs was announced :). Second, I already switched to Verizon and thereof I have this 30 day window to make my decision (although they wrote on my receipt and emailed me a copy of the manager's note that if the Inc took longer than 30 days to ship to the store they would allow me to go past the 30 days FOR THAT PHONE...

I think they did me a favor there because of the shipping problems and with me wanting to switch ASAP and I don't want to push my luck by waiting longer than 30 days and trying to claim a new phone outside of the one they promised me.

Regardless all the responses especially gspeeds are aiding in my decision.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Droid 2 and Droid Shadow are 2 different devices according to Droid-life. That guy who runs the site swears by it.

Droid 2 will be similar to original droid with possible grey metal and hardware enhancements.

Shadow will most likely be a keyboardless device. Suppose to be Verizon's answer to the evo. Ever since discovering swype I don't need a hw keyboard so the Shadow may turn out to be the better device for me.

@NXltrauma

Happy to help out when I can

Glad to have you on board and happy that you are so determined to get away from Apple and ATT even with the iphone 4g about to be released. Please discuss your major reasons for making the shift. I have some assumptions but would rather hear it from an actual iphone owner who voluntarily made the switch.

One option that I can recommend may be to pick up an old T-mobile Android device. I'm not even positive if the G1 would even work on Att but if it does then that may be an option to explore. How much does a g1 even cost these days?

If thats not a viable option then I would still recommend getting the inc now. A couple of weeks before the next moto release, explore options to sell Inc on ebay. You seem like the guy that does his android homework so you would know when it's released prior to the general public.

I say check the And news sites in the next few weeks. If anyone gets their hands on one of these devices and the hype is real it may become time to sell off the INC, while you can still pull in $550 or so.

Bestcase scenario is you sell your inc a couple weeks erly. go dumbphone for a few weeks. Use the $550 from the inc sale and throw in another $30 for an upgraded moto device.

Of course base your reviews on what the And news sites are saying.

May 29, 2010
Visit site
First things first

I don't want to go back to ATT really so the android options for them are out of the questions.

Second I definately could sell the Inc on ebay if I find the Shadow to be leaps and bounds better.

In response to why I left ATT

All in all I enjoyed their service and the iPhone but the house I moved into when I enrolled in law school simply did not get service. I mean ZERO. I would leave the house and walk down the block and BAM 10 missed texts and voicemails. This is in Baltimore City mind you...not some out of place town.

As far as the iPhone I really liked it alot but the service issue was killing me and the fact that it felt as if it was stale or something. The UI felt like the UI off of a expensive dumb phone. The apps inabilities to interact with the core system elements of the phone whether it be themes, sms apps or anything really of that nature really bothered me. I jailbroke it and even had some of the craziest UI elements you have ever seen (ie: no more swipe but actual touch to switch screens stylized around the Mac OSX interface complete with live wallpapers and stacks for folders).

No matter how advanced jailbreaking gets it will never crack open a closed system and that bothered me alot.

All in all it was mainly the service.

The main thing that bothers me about Verizon (I used to be with Verizon before ATT) is the lack of SIM cards. For some reason I love the idea of being able to take my phone anywhere in the world even though I don't do that kind of traveling and I love the idea of simply switching cards in phones but not a biggy.

I am GREATLY concerned about 2.2 coming to the Inc and any future updates because of the Sense UI though...

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ahh so refreshing to hear it come from a former iphone user. Usually I push the agenda and support similar claims. glad to know that someone who actually used the device and went through extensive jailbreaking,as you did, feels the same way.

'No matter how advanced jailbreaking gets it will never crack open a closed system and that bothered me alot.'

Thats a great quote.

Although GSM may be the major worldwide network these days, it will all change once 4g becomes more standardized, well except for developing nations who will be stuck on old 3g GSm networks.

Most of the world will adopt the 4g LTE network. verizon and ATT are said to be working on LTE networks themselves. This should ensure us that our next 4g phones will be compatible with other developed nations cell networks.

Wow, I can't believe I'm already exploring that option. That technology, damn it moves fast.

edit.. not sure if LTE will support any kind of switchable card systems like a sim card but at least our phones should be compatible with international networks.

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Sim card honestly? LTE will make all that none-sense go away. The only thing the sim card makes nice is the portability of the phone number, but with android all your contacts etc are out on the cloud, and your number can be swapped within 30 seconds on the Verizon site with current gen stuff.

Jail break the iPhone...lawl. Yeah it gives you some additional stuff and make the phone a bit cooler, but it's only giving you about half the stuff Android just has, and will have and will continue to make nicer.

As far as 2.2 coming to the Inc I don't think you need to worry about it, I'm sure we will get it but it may or may not be the last official update we get, IE the Eris. Going from an iPhone to a Droid, Inc, Evo, or any other android device is like getting to sit at the big table instead of the children's table, you don't have someone coddling your experience. And one very key thing to remember Android has only been on the market 18 months and it's one of the top players, give it another 18 months I'm sure it will be even better, especially if Jobs does supply the "most awesomest revision of the iphone" that we have ever seen....lawl.

Last edited:

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Sim card honestly? LTE will make all that none-sense go away. The only thing the sim card makes nice is the portability of the phone number, but with android all your contacts etc are out on the cloud, and your number can be swapped within 30 seconds on the Verizon site with current gen stuff.

Jail break the iPhone...lawl. Yeah it gives you some additional stuff and make the phone a bit cooler, but it's only giving you about half the stuff Android just has, and will have and will continue to make nicer.

As far as 2.2 coming to the Inc I don't think you need to worry about it, I'm sure we will get it but it may or may not be the last official update we get, IE the Eris. Going from an iPhone to a Droid, Inc, Evo, or any other android device is like getting to sit at the big table instead of the children's table, you don't have someone coddling your experience. And one very key thing to remember Android has only been on the market 18 months and it's one of the top players, give it another 18 months I'm sure it will be even better, especially if Jobs does supply the "most awesomest revision of the iphone" that we have ever seen....lawl.

Ive never been big on bashing stuff but that word "lawl"... my god.. its annoying as all hell.. I mean seriously, how did that thing even come to play?

Im just sayin...

As for the new devices coming out. I cant make up my mind whether to keep my Inc. or return it, get a low-key phone and wait till July to see what comes out such as the Shadow. Though, from reading, it sounds like it has motoblur which I hear sucks? Can it be disabled and use Stock?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Ive never been big on bashing stuff but that word "lawl"... my god.. its annoying as all hell.. I mean seriously, how did that thing even come to play?

Im just sayin...

As for the new devices coming out. I cant make up my mind whether to keep my Inc. or return it, get a low-key phone and wait till July to see what comes out such as the Shadow. Though, from reading, it sounds like it has motoblur which I hear sucks? Can it be disabled and use Stock?

It comes from being annoying and stupid, a thing called sarcasm. It was a play off the iPhone fanboy rant right above it. Some people get it some people don't....

As far as waiting versus keep it etc. Take it back, if you are not sure this is the phone for you then it's not. If you keep it, when new stuff comes out, you will inevitably hate the phone you are on and it's just not worth it. Of course if that's the general attitude you have, with the rate phones are coming out running Android, you will never be happy with your phone.

Motoblur is like Sense, some people hate it some people like it, if it's a Motorola I would be willing to bet it will be running it. As far as if you can turn it off or not, nobody can answer that question but Motorola, because like seen with Sense, previous phones could turn off Sense but you can't on the Incredible......

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2