WiFi hotspot Froyo

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Will the wifi hotpot on froyo be free like if how it is if you root your device? Or do you still need to root the device to get free tethering

jmcsmith

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Will the wifi hotpot on froyo be free like if how it is if you root your device? Or do you still need to root the device to get free tethering

For some reason i doubt verizon will allow the tethering app to be used without paying an extra fee, kinda like sprint with the evo. I would guess that in order to get free wifi tether you will still have to root.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
VZW will surely require their standard $20 per month for 2GB of dedicated wifi hotspot data. If you don't want to pay, get something like PDAnet and just do usb tethering.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Depends how well it goes... it's free on my sister's Palm Pre Plus....

You're right the Palm Pre/Plus was selling like crap so they give the hotspot away hoping to spike sales. Incredible doesn't have this issue you're going to have to pay for the tethering/hotspot, in my opinion I don't think they will just give that away they haven't yet with any other phone.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
On Tmobile not Verizon.....

VZW could give it away just to goad the Death Star and lure the Storm Troopers back to the Jedi realm.

Nevertheless, I believe they are indeed giving it away on the Pre. A friend of mine got the Pre over the DInc for just that reason. And, in the long run, they’re giving away USB Wireless Data devices for laptops and they are doing away with all you can eat data with LTE/3G so they might give the hotspot away to spur high end phone sales, get out from under the USB device giveaway and lure more subscribers away from AT&T.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Someone should throw this out there: Root will take care of this problem as well.

Although yes, it will cost. It's Verizon, what do ya' expect ;)

Markimus

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It is likely going t be the same as the X, however I agree with most users in this thread. Rooting solves this issue. Why pay more when you can have unlimited for free?!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping it was going to be free to , but knowing vzw it wont be . Its not a totally major thing but would have been nice to have that extra wifi throwed in free :) (yeah , yeah I know if you root :p you can,lol )

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
VZW could give it away just to goad the Death Star and lure the Storm Troopers back to the Jedi realm.
If that were the case, VZW would stick with unlimited smartphone data plans for $30 per month, rather than following AT&T's lead and adopting tiered pricing with limits and overage charges.

Instead, I don't think VZW feels they need "tricks" or "better rates" to lure customers from AT&T.
Nevertheless, I believe they are indeed giving it away on the Pre. A friend of mine got the Pre over the DInc for just that reason.
Pre is not the INC. its not nearly as popular. They need to give away free hot spot on the PRE as away to sell devices. It worked on your friend. :D

And, in the long run, they?re giving away USB Wireless Data devices for laptops
giving a way a DEVICE, which is a one time cost on which they will make up via the on going data usage rates, is not the same waiving a subscription fee for a service for "life"
and they are doing away with all you can eat data with WiMax/4G so they might give the hotspot away to spur high end phone sales, get out from under the USB device giveaway and lure more subscribers away from AT&T.
You lost me here. VZW doesn't have 4g yet, and when they do it will be LTE, not WiMax (sprint/clear/comcast uses WiMax as their 4g)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You lost me here. VZW doesn't have 4g yet, and when they do it will be LTE, not WiMax (sprint/clear/comcast uses WiMax as their 4g)

Sorry, I mis-typed. I meant LTE/3G. Too many FWA's (Friggin Wireless Acronyms) ;) I'll correct my origional post.

True, the Pre is not the Dinc and the Pre is not as popular however, it is a precedent that we have not seen before.

Also, I do agree that devices are one time charges, but if you can get rid of that one time charge and migrate those users to Smart Phones, who you can bill Tiered Buckets of data to, that seems to make sense. Especially since as a hotspot they are also loosing the support issues and development/testing costs of VZ Manager.

Why charge a premium for Hotspot if you?re going to charge for data usage regardless of how it's consumed? The grandfathered pool of unlimited data plans will diminish quickly as folks migrate to new devices and not realize they're new contract will un-grandfather them. So, within two years the folks on true unlimited plans will be very small.

Again, just a thought. I believe they probably will charge, :( but I can see a reason why they would not.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I mis-typed. I meant LTE/3G. Too many FWA's (Friggin Wireless Acronyms) ;) I'll correct my origional post.

True, the Pre is not the Dinc and the Pre is not as popular however, it is a precedent that we have not seen before.

Also, I do agree that devices are one time charges, but if you can get rid of that one time charge and migrate those users to Smart Phones, who you can bill Tiered Buckets of data to, that seems to make sense. Especially since as a hotspot they are also loosing the support issues and development/testing costs of VZ Manager.

Why charge a premium for Hotspot if you’re going to charge for data usage regardless of how it's consumed? The grandfathered pool of unlimited data plans will diminish quickly as folks migrate to new devices and not realize they're new contract will un-grandfather them. So, within two years the folks on true unlimited plans will be very small.

Again, just a thought. I believe they probably will charge, :( but I can see a reason why they would not.

Yeah I think the Pre was an experiment/unloading of unpopular phones. They didn't sell as many as expected so they decided to see how many people would take it due to the hotspot access and see how much it actually was used. It may be another reason why we may be seeing tiered pricing they saw a honey hole with data and hotspots. Hopefully with this will come bucket data that we can use on anything we want. We will see.

Looking at your phone as a one time charge is ignorant. Getting a cell phone is merely a gateway to spending thousands of dollars a year for some people. Thats why we have phone at cheaper prices when buying a contract. Your cellular service does not cost them anywhere near what they charge you for access. $5 for 250 text messages comes out to a couple hundred dollars per MB!!! $10 for unlimited and even if you send 1000 texts a month they are still making a ton of money! 1 text can be up to 96 characters which are 8 bits a piece meaning you can possibly use 768bit of data per message, 1MB is 8,388,608 bits. You do the math. (For the lazy that's ~10,922 text messages.) Your cellular coverage is too high logically across the board.

However with all that being said it has to be. Everyone is always crying for faster speeds, better coverage, on demand replacement devices, customer service, more reliability, and better devices. All this costs overhead to the company doing it rather it be Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc. Then on top of that you have to maintain it and IT isn't cheap and sometime isn't efficient. Who's to blame for higher prices and tiered pricing? Demand and consumers. The open market will determine the options and prices and with the lead or follow attitude of companies in the cellular sector and the beckoning of profit will always win. Welcome to a capitalistic society, the backbone of America!

(I hate the tiered idea, but hopefully the pricing will be better that's the best you can hope for.)