new flashlight app (Froyo)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Do you guys think the camera's flash will last very long with repeated use as a flashlight? I was under the impression that BlackBerry developers intentionally avoided using the flash bulb.

I guess, if HTC included it, they think it's safe. Dunno though...

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I hope it lasts. I used it for 20 minutes today! ;)

Why oh why do people jam so much equipment into tiny little closets with no ventilation or light!

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't care if it's "over-hyped." I care that it's useful, and it will be. Glad we have it now. :)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't care if it's "over-hyped." I care that it's useful, and it will be. Glad we have it now. :)

I agree - it's not rocket science, but I never have a flashlight with me. I have one in the car but not always WITH me, and going to the car and back just to get the flashlight can turn a two minute job into a 10 minute job.

It's not always the most high tech feature that makes something truly useful.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
LED lights are about as reliable as they come. That being said, the flashlight is the most over-hyped feature of 2.2

To people that don't need it, want it, or use it. Froyo is the most over hyped update to people who use iPhones too......

YES!

I agree - it's not rocket science, but I never have a flashlight with me. I have one in the car but not always WITH me, and going to the car and back just to get the flashlight can turn a two minute job into a 10 minute job.

It's not always the most high tech feature that makes something truly useful.

I agree. I thought why would someone want to use their phone as a flashlight! Then, as your statement above eludes to, when you are in a situation you need a flashlight it comes it really handy! Especially when working around servers, server closets, and inside computers. You always have your phone on you but rarely a flashlight. Not anymore!

ultrav23

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Usage should be no issue as they are LED lights. The average person, let alone an android user, keeps a phone for 2 years or less so LED usage is the least of your concern. Use away...use away!

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I love the flashlight app, i use it all the time especially when the lights go out at work or at home. In my area we have bad surge and the power is always going out. So this is very very handy

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
... and besides if one burns out you got another since its got double lights ,,"its just not as brightly lit" Lol, but I think the LED's will last as long as the phone does . I would say longer but ... no one is going to take them out to use in another device

Last edited:

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
@davidnc
I like your Tales from the Darkside reference.

"it's just not as brightly lit" LOL

But to add my two cents, I think the app is useful. When I comeback home at night and have to unlock my door and can't see the keyhole, it's perfect. As long as there is functionality in these apps, then I will use them. It doesn't have to make the phone attract meteors or transform into an F-15 to impress me or be useful.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
@davidnc
I like your Tales from the Darkside reference.

"it's just not as brightly lit" LOL

But to add my two cents, I think the app is useful. When I comeback home at night and have to unlock my door and can't see the keyhole, it's perfect. As long as there is functionality in these apps, then I will use them. It doesn't have to make the phone attract meteors or transform into an F-15 to impress me or be useful.

lol yeah I laughed when I typed it lol :D

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

We are watching a cat for a friend, and a few days before I got Froyo (and only a day after we received the cat) this jet black cat managed to get by me as I was letting out the dog in the dead of night.

Of course, we couldn't find any flashlights, so had to walk around the neighborhood taking pictures to get the flash to go off briefly so I could see into the yard. I felt like an idiot.

So yeah, needless to say happy about this feature as well.

EDIT: About a week ago I was cycling through my photos, and I found five in a row that looked like (from my POV) a picture of complete blackness. I simply assumed the pictures couldn't render for some reason started to suspect some of my actual photos were corrupt before I remembered the cat ordeal and that the pictures I was looking was indeed inky blackness from my backyard. Felt a bit stupid yet again...

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
lol.

not more than a few days before I finally updated, we had a power outage, and I was in a dark storage room. I had my phone, but no flashlight. I COULD HAVE used the flashlight app then. I used the screen's brightness instead. :)

It will happen to all of us -- that ONE TIME when we're so glad we had our Incs + the flashlight app with us. At that moment, I will scoff once again at comments about the app being "over hyped".

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys think the camera's flash will last very long with repeated use as a flashlight? I was under the impression that BlackBerry developers intentionally avoided using the flash bulb.

I guess, if HTC included it, they think it's safe. Dunno though...

LED's last a long time. If you are anything like me, the led flash will last far longer than I will actually use the phone. I'll probably upgrade to whatever the next greatest set of Android phones are prior to the LED flash going out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall