Is there a bump charging fix coming?

callofduty4

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi, does anybody know if there is a fix for the bump charging issue on the incredible? does anybody know if HTC is aware on the problem and are working on a fix? This is a very, very annoying glitch.

Any Help is appreciated

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I do not believe there is a fix coming since this phone is most likely ending its life cycle but if you eneter the tips and tricks thread it will teach you how to bump charge. Hope this helps on what you were talking about.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have posted this in another thread but this will help you understand that bump charging is not good for your battery:

The whole issue behind bump charging is not as big of a problem as it is made out to be. The reason the battery drops so quickly without bump charging is the battery charge trickle effect and it is intentional. If you charged your battery to capacity over night and it didn't trickle down then it would be constantly charging even when full. This would cause a shorter life of the battery in the long term. By constantly bump charging your battery you are decreasing the lifetime of your battery as well.

From what I have read, every so often (1 or 2 times a month) you should ruin your battery down to 5-10%, then fully charge it and bump charge it. This seems to recalibrate your battery readings.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have posted this in another thread but this will help you understand that bump charging is not good for your battery:

No matter what HTCs intent may have been, if you charge it to 100%, then it drops to 88% after ten minutes off the charger, that is a bad design.

I'm not even talking about over night. I'm talking about charge to 100% during the day, then take it off, and watch it drop. Sometimes things work as designed, but the design is bad and needs to be changed. I'm a programmer and see it plenty.

shoman24v

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the kernel allows it to go to 100% It kinda tricks the phone in a sense. Only charges it to, let's say 90% but the phone reads 100%. That's why the drop from 100-90 is so fast. It takes only a few minutes to level out. Charging on an external battery charger or doing the 'bump' method fully charges the battery and maintains a longer 100-90% level.

Bump charging = with phone on, let it charge fully. After that turn phone off and allow it to fully charge. Or let it fully charge when off.

Last edited:

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I used to bump charge last summer. I quickly learned to charge the phone with the power off. I wish it wasn't the case, as I used to leave my blackberry on 24/7 and used quickpull automatically to reset the device overnight. My cell phone is my main phone, so turning it off I could miss an emergency call in the middle of the night, but by turning it off it will fully charge the battery.

Bump charging will do the same thing, but shorten the battery life in the long run as a battery only has so many charging cycles before it dies. Doesn't matter if you charge 90% or 5% on a cycle, your still using a cycle. I'm sure even with bump charging the battery will last at least till your next upgrade, but I'm hoping to keep this phone till it is obsolete. I'm tired of paying $200 every 20 months when the phone I have is just fine.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought this was fixed with the Android 2.2 OTA update?

Just charge your phone like normal and don't worry about it.

That's what I do.

Mr.Incredible

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
The best thing is to have an extra battery with an external charger. I had gotten 2 HTC EXPRESS batteries from amazon with an external charger for $40. So worth the money. I charge the battery in the external charger and then put it in the phone and it lasts a long time. Stays 100% for awhile. doesn't drop like it would if it was still in the phone

Flur

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, bump charging uses an extra cycle, but if you're using 2 cycles a day anyway b/c your phone dies in the middle of the day, what's the difference? I charge my phone overnight, and when I wake up I unplug it and then plug it back in (without turning it off). By the time I leave for work it's charged again, and now I get 16 hours out of it rather than the 8 I was getting before (though I should note that I stopped using a Task Killer the same day I started the morning double charge, so that might be a factor in my improved battery life also).

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I really think HTC should release a fix for this. The fact that we have to either turn the phone off, or go through this entire bump charge rigmarole, means there's a problem. It's my one gripe with this phone.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I really think HTC should release a fix for this. The fact that we have to either turn the phone off, or go through this entire bump charge rigmarole, means there's a problem. It's my one gripe with this phone.

Just charge your phone like normal, don't worry about it.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I rooted, and started using SetCPU I make it from 6 am till 10:30 at night on a single charge. No joke. I don't use my phone a lot at work, but I get a TERRIBLE signal in the cinderblock building I work in so that eats some juice during the day. In the afternoon/evening I am always playing with the phone (words with friends, web surfing, angrybirds, etc) and it dies before 11. I usually run the battery down to 5% -10% before powering down and charging it. No more bump charging, just charge with the power off.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I rooted, and started using SetCPU I make it from 6 am till 10:30 at night on a single charge. No joke. I don't use my phone a lot at work, but I get a TERRIBLE signal in the cinderblock building I work in so that eats some juice during the day. In the afternoon/evening I am always playing with the phone (words with friends, web surfing, angrybirds, etc) and it dies before 11. I usually run the battery down to 5% -10% before powering down and charging it. No more bump charging, just charge with the power off.

I would turn data off when you get to work. It should in theory help with the battery since you have a hard time getting a signal. Now all your phone has to do is try and keep a signal for phone calls. Go in the settings and look for a widget so you can quickly turn it off and on at any time.

Better yet use a free program from the market called "timeriffic" and tell the app to turn your data off at a certain time when you start work. (Then back on when you leave work to head home.) That way it wont eat your battery.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying this is an issue with the processor in the Incredible?

I know the only two HTC phones that dont charge to 100% and stay there while plugged in are the Incredible and Evo which have the same Snapdragon processor.

Phones like the MyTouch 4g (2nd gen snapdragon) don't have this issue.