Is GB potentially unstable?

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi.
I flashed both our phones using Odin to the stock version of GB and rooted them for Titanium Backup to work.
Ever since then, we've had stability issues.
In the case of my wife, I only flashed the phone and re-downloaded a few apps for her as I didn't have a backup of her phone. In my case, I restored most apps and a few select system settings.

I especially am having issues with system apps loading slower than before. When I open Gmail and click the menu button, it may freeze on me. When I manage to start or reply to an email, often Swype will either take 10 seconds to open or it will crash on me. On some of these occasions, the phone will also simply reboot - most of the time with the screen turned off (i.e. black), so I have to reboot again.

I have quite a few apps moved to the SD card - could that be the issue? I only moved ones that claim to work with App2SD.
Except my wife has all her apps still in internal memory...

One other thing I did AFTER I noticed the reboot happening was to freeze all SNS and DRM services, and it seemed to run faster since then.

I'm thinking of finding a debloated and pre-rooted GB ROM on XDA, so I'll have to read up on that.
I'm just wondering if these symptoms are "normal" for GB at all or not - if they're not, I'd rather go back to Froyo...

Hope someone can give me some answers...

Thanks!

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi.
I flashed both our phones using Odin to the stock version of GB and rooted them for Titanium Backup to work.
Ever since then, we've had stability issues.
In the case of my wife, I only flashed the phone and re-downloaded a few apps for her as I didn't have a backup of her phone. In my case, I restored most apps and a few select system settings.

I especially am having issues with system apps loading slower than before. When I open Gmail and click the menu button, it may freeze on me. When I manage to start or reply to an email, often Swype will either take 10 seconds to open or it will crash on me. On some of these occasions, the phone will also simply reboot - most of the time with the screen turned off (i.e. black), so I have to reboot again.

I have quite a few apps moved to the SD card - could that be the issue? I only moved ones that claim to work with App2SD.
Except my wife has all her apps still in internal memory...

One other thing I did AFTER I noticed the reboot happening was to freeze all SNS and DRM services, and it seemed to run faster since then.

I'm thinking of finding a debloated and pre-rooted GB ROM on XDA, so I'll have to read up on that.
I'm just wondering if these symptoms are "normal" for GB at all or not - if they're not, I'd rather go back to Froyo...

Hope someone can give me some answers...

Thanks!

I was never on stock GB long enough to know if it was stable/unstable. But it sounds to me like you have a lot going on that may be causing your issues, and not GB. Just my opinion, which counts for very little! :D

I've used two different GB ROMS based on the latest "official" GB release, Superclean and TSM Resurrection 2.0, and the ROMS have been incredibly stable. I highly recommend trying one of them. There are a couple others out there as well, so you have several options.

Last edited:

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your opinion, and I do appreciate it!
I wish I knew what it was that's causing these issues, but maybe I happened to pickup a ROM that had a bug in it, who knows... Since Froyo worked considerably better with mostly the same apps and settings, I don't know if it's an app that is not fully compatible with GB or if it's my copy of GB itself...

Now that XDA is online again, I'll check into the ROMs you mentioned and play around with them - thanks!

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I did not know that...

So how come there's tons of people out there with rooted phones who don't have problems like these?
Are pre-rooted ROMs maybe the better choice here?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Well for starters root is the likely culprit seeing as rooting can make it unstable.

Sent from my SGSII using Tapatalk

I used to think that was the case as well, but since rooting and using custom ROMS on my Fascinate for the past few months, my phone has been more stable, reliable and had better battery life than when I was on stock.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it saves you the step of rooting, you can simply install a pre-rooted ROM, and you are all set.

I'm not bothered by rooting it manually - I'm just wondering if pre-rooted ROMs might be more stable if superuser is already built-in vs. me adding it manually...

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not bothered by rooting it manually - I'm just wondering if pre-rooted ROMs might be more stable if superuser is already built-in vs. me adding it manually...

Well, to me, the only reason to root manually is if you do not plan on running a custom ROM. Otherwise, if you decide to run one of the custom ROMS, I think most of the newer ones are pre-rooted so you get an all-in-one package so to speak. As far as stability, Root doesn't add any instability as far as I know, it simply gives you "admin rights" to your phone's entire file system. Nothing else changes, so your phone should remain just as stable, or unstable, as it was before you rooted.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yea, frankly, I am not really sure why adding su and busybox would cause system instability... It's more like putting something back (into *nix) that was originally there and removed... Hence my surprise when Horr1bleK1tten said so...

Well, looks like a visit to XDA (who are online again after doing their good duty about SOPA).

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yea, frankly, I am not really sure why adding su and busybox would cause system instability... It's more like putting something back (into *nix) that was originally there and removed... Hence my surprise when Horr1bleK1tten said so...

Well, looks like a visit to XDA (who are online again after doing their good duty about SOPA).

Right on! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89