Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
hi i have a problem when i apply sdcard: update.zip i get this error

finding update package...
E:can't mount /dev/block/vold/179:9
(No such file or directory)
E: can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
installation aborted.

i do have the update.zip in the sd root and i tried 2 different sd cards still have the same error can someone help me thanks

Same problem , did you find a solution ?

munstars

May 29, 2011
Visit site
omg thank you soooo much it took me 2 hours to do it all i was sure it wasnt going to work but it actually did and now whenever i run into this problem again i can just do this i was about to cry my phone was never gonna work again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
omg thank you soooo much it took me 2 hours to do it all i was sure it wasnt going to work but it actually did and now whenever i run into this problem again i can just do this i was about to cry my phone was never gonna work again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

just why in the world would you have any need to flash update.zip..i have loaded Roms and Theme or two and not once have i added "update.zip"

dustinretterer

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday morning, after an attempt to install the Samsung keyboard from the Vibrant, I found myself in a force close loop after rebooting. The Fascinate was able to boot past the Verizon logo, but once at the "home screen", I saw a steady stream of TW, acore, and a bunch of other FC popups.

No problem, I thought. I figured I could just follow the How to go back to stock sticky. However, no matter how many times I flashed the Odin restore file, my phone would go into an endless force close reboot after the Verizon logo. Somehow I managed to totally corrupt my 32GB SD card in the process. OMFG, I thought. 2 hours later I was at the Verizon store buying a replacement. 8 hours later, I had read through enough threads and posts to finally cobble together a solution. In the process, I read where other people have had this issue after applying the lag fix. I think I've seen a few other instances of it too, and several other desperate cries for help.

So here's how I fixed it (I want to thank namebrandon from the AC forums and wasupwithhuman from the XDA forums for their contributions):

Note: If you've already downloaded Odin before you can skip steps 5 & 6 below.

1) Download this CWRecovery File.
2) Power off phone.
3) Press and hold the volume-down key.
4) Plug your Fascinate into the computer via USB cable.

You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.

5) Download the Odin executable from here.
6) Open Odin.
7) Click on the PDA button.

Triple check that you pushed the PDA button. Do NOT click the Phone button prior to step 8. Click the PDA button. If you choose Phone, you will have bought your Fascinate a one-way ticket to hell.

8) Choose the CWMrecovery.tar file you downloaded in step 1 & then click the Start button in Odin.

The phone will reboot when finished & will continue to force close. Do not panic. The Fascinate can be unplugged from your computer at this point.

9) Download the attached update.zip (CWR) file (thanks namebrandon).
10) Move update.zip file to SD card (you will likely need an SD card reader to do this).
11) Power off Fascinate (takes a bit to power off).
12) Press and hold the volume up and the volume down keys at the same time.
13) Press and hold the power button.
14) Release the power button when you see the Samsung logo.

You should now see "Android System Recovery <2e>" at the top of your screen. Reboot system now will be highlighted.

15) Press the volume down button, once, to highlight the option to apply sdcard:update.zip. Then press the home button to select and apply the update.

Once flashed, the Fascinate will reboot into Clockworld Recovery. Let it be, while you complete the next steps.

16) Download this Stock Nandroid Image. (thanks wasupwithhuman @XDA).
17) Remove the SD card from your Fascinate and insert into computer with an SD card reader.
18) Create a folder on your SD card called clockworkmod.
19) Create a sub folder inside of clockworkmod called backup.
20) Unzip the file downloaded in step 16 and place the 2010-09-21.18.31.12 folder inside the backup folder you created in step 19.
21) Remove SD card from computer and insert into Fascinate.
22) In CWM select backup and restore -> restore -> 2010-09-21.18.31.12 (use the volume rocker to highlight menu options and the power button to execute the highlighted item).

Once complete, the phone will reboot and you should be out of the force close loop of hell.
look at me posting to get the 1 post count so i can download the file...what a dumb requirement.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
look at me posting to get the 1 post count so i can download the file...what a dumb requirement.

Perhaps when you start your own forum, then you can set your own requirements. Until then, if you plan to be memeber of this community and benefitting from the countless hours of hard work of the dedicated developers and advisors, I suggest keeping these types of comments to yourself

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk

bglover

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi corey i would like to thank you for making rooting easy for the samsung fascinate. I now have 2.2.1 fascinate and i am having problems rooting it can you help please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez