For you savvy folkes with Voodoo fix...

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering...

If I install the Voodoo lag fix will I have to remove it to install updates and or Froyo when it arrives?

And more importantly where can I download the stock kernel incase I want to remove voodoo altogether?

And, I do not see one avaliable for the Fascinate. Is there one?

Last edited:

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I can't predict what a future update holds, but judging from the last update you would not have needed to remove the voodoo fix to apply the update. Taking that statement as some sort of proof or blanket comment and applying it to future hypothetical updates is not a good idea.

You should always be prepared to uninstall Voodoo, and I suggest everyone read the uninstall process before actually installing Voodoo lagfix.

Two general points I'd like to make.

1- With Voodoo lagfix, you can no longer make nandroid backups, or restore nandroid backups.
2- Flashing a stock kernel will not uninstall Voodoo. It will, however, soft-brick your phone and very easily lead to a loss of any data not on your SDcard.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if i understand correctly, most (if not all) AOSP builds of 2.2 shouldn't need to have voodoo uninstalled, as they use ext4 partitions, for the OTA however, i would almost guarantee that voodoo would have to be uninstalled first.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Two general points I'd like to make.

1- With Voodoo lagfix, you can no longer make nandroid backups, or restore nandroid backups.
2- Flashing a stock kernel will not uninstall Voodoo. It will, however, soft-brick your phone and very easily lead to a loss of any data not on your SDcard.

What are the implications here, for dummies? If something goes very wrong, there's no fixing it? Or can you use the Odin "go back to stock" method still? So it's just more involved than usual getting back to where you were?

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
The more I read into it the more I get the feeling that any lag fix is just a huge pain in the *** and we should just be happy with our phone. All of the lag fixes I read are doing one of two things. Either making their phones unstable, or making very hard to revert back to a point where you can get OTAs.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
What are the implications here, for dummies? If something goes very wrong, there's no fixing it? Or can you use the Odin "go back to stock" method still? So it's just more involved than usual getting back to where you were?

It can be fixed, but it will be a pain in the but. Part of the Vooodoo magic (hah!) is that it overwrites the mbr on /dev/block/mmcblk0 to point to a custom protection image. This is a bit of a fake out to the system, and the only process that reverts the mbr to stock is the actual Voodoo uninstall process.

If you were to flash a stock kernel over the voodoo lagfix you'd end up with a busted /data partition, booting into what looks like a stock TouchWiz environment, but upon further inspection would actually be a FC hell of epic proportions.

To summarize, you can always go back to stock. If, for whatever reason, you do not un-install Voodoo correctly, getting back to stock is going to be a severe PITA.

if i understand correctly, most (if not all) AOSP builds of 2.2 shouldn't need to have voodoo uninstalled, as they use ext4 partitions, for the OTA however, i would almost guarantee that voodoo would have to be uninstalled first.

I haven't looked at the source yet. Enabling etx4 support in the kernel is trivial, it's a few lines in the config. The Eclair kernel (.29) is fully capable of supporting ext4 (i.e., Voodoo kernel), Samsung was the party who decided for some reason to go with an RFS file system on our devices. Regardless, I would always recommend uninstalling Voodoo before updating/upgrading.

The uninstall process for Voodoo is extremely easy (just create a single, empty file), it just takes a bit of time to process on the device. Once it's been uninstalled, you can continue to use the Voodoo kernel should you wish. Removing the lag-fix has no impact on the kernel.. It's like running a FAT16 partition on Windows 7. It'll still work, even though it's slow.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense to me but my main and only concern is if I simply go in and "disable_lagfix" will I be able to get the OTA Froyo?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
That makes sense to me but my main and only concern is if I simply go in and "disable_lagfix" will I be able to get the OTA Froyo?

all other things being stock (bloatware present and whatnot) that should work fine.

voodoo is not a permanent change (in the sense of it being irreversible) it's just that you have an extra step and the time it takes to reconvert before you can go flashing stock (as in don't use ext4) kernels/roms

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
To install Voodoo, you have to have CWM. Won't this in itself prevent any OTA update? Seems like most had issues with the last OTA? I know on the D1 with a custom ROM, you could not load the OTA Froyo update. I guess it was the ROM that prevented the update but will the non-stock recovery prevent it as well?

Any update will be be put into an update.zip at some point any way.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i don't think (anyone feel free to correct me) that just clockwork will prevent an OTA, iirc from back when i had my droid 1, there was a file change which prevented the phone for looking for an OTA to be available.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
CWM isn't necessary to install it. Intact you don't even need root.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Adiliyo, that being said do you are anyone know where I can find the stock kernel?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Adiliyo, that being said do you are anyone know where I can find the stock kernel?

Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

the files for the system and kernel are in there for you to flash back with odin.

that being said, make sure to uninstall voodoo before flashing back to anything stock

CWM isn't necessary to install it. Intact you don't even need root.

what "it" are you talking about?

you can't flash voodoo using the stock recovery.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
From reading the documentation on Voodoo it said all you have to do is take the zip file, rename it to update.zip and run it from recovery.

Update.zip method (recommended; computer not required):

Copy the Voodoo package as /sdcard/update.zip at the root of your SD Card.
Reboot into recovery using the 3 button combo for your phone or “adb reboot recovery”
Apply update.zip
Enjoy !

More importantly this is also in their documentation:

ClockWorkMod recovery don’t work or install when you are in optimized Ext4 mode. Author has been contacted.

I take that to mean that if you have Voodoo installed then CWM will not even work.

No where at Project Voodoo mentions that you need CWM to install it.

However this may be false as the current Voodoo fix for the Fascinate isnt on their site yet. Just on XDA.

One more thing. If I HAVE to install CWM do I have to install a custom ROM and is it easy to remove so I can get OTAs

By the way, thanks for the Stock Kernel info! :)

Edit: My source is http://project-voodoo.org/

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the instructions on project voodoo's website is for beta5 releases only. as of right now, for the fascinate you need CW to flash the kernel over. (the fascinate will be on the site once it reaches beta5)

clockwork does indeed work after installing voodoo, but nandroid backups are broken because of the file system change as it can no longer access /data.

but you can flash other things over using it (i've flashed some themes and certain apps with it after voodoo)

HOW TO: Flash Voodoo Kernels and more... <LOOK HERE FIRST - xda-developers

there is a step by step breakdown for installation on the fascinate.

as far as installing the OTA updates with clockwork, it shouldn't cause a problem, the OTA should install with it there.

and no, you don't need to load a custom rom for CW, just flash the tar over with odin and then use rom manager to install the recovery and the update.zip to get into it.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I see now LOL. Well I decided to flash CWM and Voodoo and I love it. Just hope there's an easy way to remove both (namely CWM. Voodoo is easy)

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
For future reference, and for those who are a little more adventurous, you don't need CWM to flash Voodoo, and you don't need root, as DroidDev mentioned.

Just take the Voodoo .zip as provided, and rip out the zImage file, tar it up (.tar) and then flash via Odin. All done.

Also, to clear something up, when talking about flashing a stock kernel as it relates to Voodoo, you don't actually need to go back to the Samsung stock kernel. The CWM kernel is a stock kernel, with a spliced in (modified) ramdisk that contains (among other changes) a modified recovery binary and adb daemon. The actual code/drivers/etc on the CWM kernel match the stock kernel 1:1 since it wasn't recompiled.

frenzifun

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
i need to remove voodoo.... i forgot to uninstall it before going back to stock (fully). and now i cant download anything from market because my phone memory is at 0.00. i have no idea how to fix this, i also have no clue how to run adb and make that work. i still have clockwork and im at a complete stock phase, i just cant download anything....
i really need step by step instructions on how to get back to having a normal phone... please

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress