Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default [How to] Clockworkmod recovery/ Return to Stock / Use Odin

Post #1= FAQ and preparation
    Post #2= Clockwork Recovery (Downloads+Instructions)
    Post #3= Returning to Stock (Full Package Downloads)
    Post #4= How to Flash using Odin
    Post #5= Credits

Mac Users can find supportHERE

Please, thoroughly read each section before attempting any process, most questions can be answered by rereading, if the answers to a question is no where in sight, please feel free to ask for help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hacking is done at your own risk, I nor Android Central are
    responsible for anything that users do to their phone. That being said, Have fun

FAQ

Q: What is Odin?

A: A Flashing program to download Kernels, firmware to Samsung mobile phones. Also used in recovering failed flashes or bricked phones

Q: Does flashing with Odin void my warranty?

A: Yes, you are basically erasing and overwriting what was not meant to be tampered with. Fortunately the very tool that voids your warranty can be your saving grace. Using a download that is provided in this thread you can flash your device to factory state as if it just came out of the box fresh from verizon.

Q: What do i need Odin for?

A: The most common uses, and the ones we will be covering in this thread are Flashing your phone back to out of the box stock and Flashing Clockwork recovery

Q: Will i lose any apps or data during the stock flashing process?

A: Yes, flashing odin will wipe everything that is not on the SD card, apps, contacts , messaging, it will even flash kernel and radio

Q: I have a voodoo kernel installed do i need to disable it?

A: Yes Follow these directions before flashing, Unless you are in a bricked state and do not have that option

Q: What is Clockworkmod Recovery?

A: It is a custom recovery mode developed by that you can boot into via applying its update.zip from stock recovery mode. From this recovery mode you have many advanced user options, giving you ability to flash custom roms and kernels as well as backing up and restore your roms and all their setttings.

Q: Do i need to be rooted to use Clockworkmod Recovery?

A: No, You do not need to be rooted, infact Clockworkmod can be used to quickly root with out the need of a computer. This will be covered in Post #2 of this thread.

Q: What is Red Clockworkmod Recovery?

A: this is a modification by jt1134 and supercurio, the voodoo maestro. It is meant to be used with voodoo, but supports it, and the stock filesystem. It is also fixed! Green clockwork was left in a poor state after Koush built it, and he has shown no interest in finishing it up. Now there are extra options in red clockwork that will not work unless you have voodoo, etc, but those are in the voodoo and advanced menus, and should not matter.
    Preparations

1. Download and Install Samsung Drivers

64bit:

or
    32bit:

2.Disable any antivirus programs as they may interupt odin flash.

3. When connecting USB cable, make sure not to use hubs or remote ports such as a monitor port. Use ports closest to the mother board Ideally the ones on the back of the computer.
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 01-26-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Clockworkmod recovery

Section 1.Clockworkmod for DI01 (Rooting method optional)

Section 2
    .Clockworkmod for DJ05/DL09 (Rooting method optional)

Section 3.Red Clockworkmod for DJ05/DL09 (Rooting method optional) [but has not been heavily tested with non-voodoo installs. It should be ok though.]

Section 1. For use in DI01 only

The Following files are to be downloaded and put on the root of your SD card
    Used to enter CWM Recovery

(Optional): if not already rooted, modified ChainsDD superuser +busybox package

Download and apply the Odin package of Clockworkmod recovery: (Application and directions can be found in post #4)

Now once you have flashed odin (use post #4 in this thread for walk through) and you have downloaded everything and put the last to files to the base of your SD card.

After flashing Odin you are done Clockworkmod recovery is officially installed to enter do the following:

Reboot into recovery>VOL up+VOL dwn+ power, you will see the samsung logo cycle twice, on the second time let go

this will take you into Recovery , using the vol down button scroll to apply sdcard:update.zip,use the home button to select.

this will take you into a green recovery screen which is clockwork recovery.

From here using the vol keys scroll to install zip from SD card , use the power or back button to select.

Optional if not already rooted:

From here using the vol keys scroll to install zip from SD card , use the power or back button to select.

after that select the su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip

once its down scroll down and select go back

then select reboot.

you should be done and rooted
    Good luck

Section 2. For use in DJ05/DL09 only

The Following files are to be downloaded and put on the root of your SD card

Used to enter CWM Recovery

Kernel download

Download and apply the Odin package of Clockworkmod recovery: (Application and directions can be found in post #4)

Now once you have flashed odin (use post #4 in this thread for walk through) and you have downloaded everything and put the last to files to the base of your SD card.

These steps must be done on first boot into clockwork recovery, if not done you may have trouble booting into Clockwork recovery again after reboot so please follow the directions otherwise you will need to start the process over, it is suggested after flashing Odin CWM file that you immediatly boot into recovery and start this process

Reboot into recovery>VOL up+VOL dwn+ power, you will see the samsung logo cycle twice, on the second time let go

this will take you into Recovery , using the vol down button scroll to apply sdcard:update.zip,use the home button to select.

this will take you into a green recovery screen which is clockwork recovery.

scroll down till you see DJ05_DL09_kernel.zip again using the power or back button

then again scroll down and select yes, this will install the zip

after that is flashed repeat the process but this select the kernel su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip

then select reboot.

you should be done
    Good luck

Note: the kernel installed is a Generic Kernel, after this process is done you can go back and use the kernel of your choice.

Trouble shooting

"Finding update package, opening update package,verifying updat package. Then the rror says "e: failed to verify whole-file signature. e: signature verification failed. Installation aborted

This will happen if the following conditions were not met:
    1.update.zip file was not applied to root of SDcard
    2.after flashing clockworkmod file via odin you need to put in your battery and immediately boot into recovery and start the process,if you boot the phone up without following this step you will need to flash with odin again

Section 3. Red Clockworkmod For use in DJ05/DL09 only

The Following files are Optional,to be downloaded and put on the root of your SD card

Used to enter green CWM Recovery, IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE ROM MANAGER

Download and apply the Odin package of Red Clockworkmod recovery,Update.zip file is not needed: (Application and directions can be found in post #4)

After flashing Odin you are done RED Clockworkmod recovery is officially installed to enter do the following:

Reboot directly into Red Clockworkmod recovery by >VOL up+VOL dwn+ power, you will see the samsung logo cycle twice, on the second time let go

this will take you directly into Red Clockworkmod Recovery

after that select choose zip from sdcard then select su-2.3.6.1+busybox1.19.zip

once its down use the Search button to go back

then select reboot.

you should be done and rooted
    Good luck
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 02-01-2011 at 08:18 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Returning to Stock

To return to stock choose one of the following files then use the application+directions of post #5 in this thread, Be aware that flashing any of these files will take you back to a stock state anything that is not on the SD card will be lost.

DOWNLOADS

Last edited by DroidXcon; 01-27-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Thanked by 3:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default How to Flash using Odin

First you must download

Once odin is downloaded open it, its an executable file so when you open it you will see the following :

Once this is up, do the following
    -Remove the battery from your Device
    -Plug in the USB cord
    -Hold down the Volume Down button until you see a big bright triangle on your screen , underneath it will say Downloading and beneath that it will say Do not turn off target

At this point you will see one of the boxes in the corner turn yellow, letting you know there is a connection, it will look like this

after you are connected you want to hit the PDA button, NEVER PHONE, phone will erase your modem and you will have trouble connecting after that at all.

when you click the PDA button a pop up will appear and you will need to select the file you would like to flash and then click open

now you will see the file appear in the PDA window ,, with connection made and the file in the PDA window, you may now hit Start

Once you hit start this process Should take approx. 5 mins if you are returning to stock . shouldnt take any less time than that and not much more. So dont start freaking out at min 2...(wait till min 7) lol

If you are flashing a Clockworkmod file it should take approx 7seconds.

once it is completed you should see the following window:

Once you have reached this screen it is safe to unplug , put your battery in and boot up..
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 01-26-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Thanked by 4:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Credits

Credits:
    • The rootzwiki community for hosting the Samsung drivers
    • Android Central Adviser Adrynalyne for all his contributions including CWM+Root combo
    • Android Central Member gunnermike53 for providing directions on How to unvoodoo
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 01-26-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

If i missed any Credits please let me know.... and please inform me if any mistakes were made in this thread, Thank you in advance
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    ICS 4.0.4 build 8

Outstanding!
    Confucius: Never use a cannon to kill a fly. - Take off and nuke it from orbit.. ~~^^~~

ok. thanks for this. but I'm DI01. How do I get my phone to be Dj05?

Im already rooted with JT's Stupid Fast kernel.

Plus, and this is a bit off topic, but how do I get allshare back? I've tried placing the dlna.apk/opex in systems/apps but it did nothing.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by rapideyemovement View Post
    ok. thanks for this. but I'm DI01. How do I get my phone to be Dj05?

Im already rooted with JT's Stupid Fast kernel.

Plus, and this is a bit off topic, but how do I get allshare back? I've tried placing the dlna.apk/opex in systems/apps but it did nothing.
    Flash the DJ05 file found in post #3, use the directions in Post #4. then use either section 2 or 3 of post #2.... all share will be there since flashing DJ05 will bring you back to stock....... then you can debloat but leave in DLNA
    Thanked by:

I used "Section 2. For use in DJ05/DL09 only" once it is done may I delete update.zip and DJ05_DL09_kernal.zip from my SD card or must I use them to boot into CWM in the future?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by logantk View Post
    I used "Section 2. For use in DJ05/DL09 only" once it is done may I delete update.zip and DJ05_DL09_kernal.zip from my SD card or must I use them to boot into CWM in the future?
    you need to keep that update file to allow you to boot into Clockwork otherwise it wont work
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    you need to keep that update file to allow you to boot into Clockwork otherwise it wont work
    Thanks, do you need to keep DJ05_DL09_kernal.zip on the SD card?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by logantk View Post
    Thanks, do you need to keep DJ05_DL09_kernal.zip on the SD card?
    no you can get rid of that and su+busybox aswell, you just need update.zip .... you can not replace the kernel with anything you like, try these http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...ed-1-21-a.html

So I just thought I would post my rooting experience today here.

HUGE thanks to DroidXcon for the help and not minding the multiple PM's today.

I first got my Fascinate about a week after they came out.

Kept it stock for about another week and then I wanted to give rooting a go.

I don't remember the method I used, but I do remember it being a quick and painless process.

Then came the day when my phone thought that it was connected via usb/debugging. All of the time. Even when I was miles from a computer or a USB cable.

Took it to the store, they declared it bricked and signed me up for a warranty replacement (I returned it to stock prior to taking it in, even though I found out AT the store that it wouldn't have mattered).

Got the replacement yesterday (I forgot how good the screen felt brand new) and left it stock for a day before I got the root bug again.

Attempted DroidX's one click root method.

I had to do it three times before superuser appeared.

Finally got superuser, d/l'd Titanium Backup, it asked for permission, I thought I was good to go.

D/l'd ROM manager, fired up the ROM I wanted. When it came time to install, it didn't work. The phone stated that it failed due to some permission or other not being there (I forgot to write down the actual error) and rebooted.

Tried it once more, same result. Hit the forums today. I thought I found the answer, but between distractions and whatnot, I lost it and everything I was trying was failing.

UNTIL!

it was explained to me that the root I tried had failed to be written to the SD card because, unbeknownst to me, I had to install a kernal immediately before rebooting my phone, otherwise the root would be overwritten.

I was told to install CWM Red and to throw the busy box file and whatever rom and kernal I wanted on to my SD card.

Done.

Fired up CWM Red, installed the busy box file (it's actually superuser+busybox in section two of this thread, along with CWM Red) and rebooted.

ROOTED!

Went back into CWM Red (What's that you say? Did I connect it to my computer at all after installing CWM Red? NOPE! No need!! It's fantastic!!!!)

Unzipped my ROM and my Kernal.

I now have a brand new (most likely refurb but still acts/feels like new) running Supa_Clean 0.4, and Adrynalyne's Test 05 non-voodoo kernal. Runs like mad. Love it.

So big thanks again to DroidXcon for walking me through everything and getting me squared away. I feel I learned a lot today. Not sure I hit fully on the exact issues I was having, but hopefully you guys get the gist... all I can say is, go with CWM Red. It's amazing.

Best things about CWM Red:

No need to use ROM manager anymore.

You no longer have to re-set-up your phone account/email/pw etc. which... is so nice and will probably have the effect of turning me into a ROM fiend lol

And I'm lovin' the new Super Clean and Adrynalyne's kernal.

You guys are amazing for all the hard work you do and for answering the probably hundreds of stupid questions you get, all for free.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 01-27-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: I will edit as I remember more details of the issues I was experiencing.
    Thanked by:

Flash the DJ05 file found in post #3, use the directions in Post #4. then use either section 2 or 3 of post #2.... all share will be there since flashing DJ05 will bring you back to stock....... then you can debloat but leave in DLNA
    Did this, now I'm back to stock DL09. Cool. But now I can't get Zedge to reroot my phone (so I can titanium restore system/apps) because the search in market place isn't working.

Thoughts?

Edit: in fact, everything is pretty slow and unresponsive. Even when I try to change wallpapers (long click), I can't make a selection from the popup menu. Is DL09 really this buggy?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Did this, now I'm back to stock DL09. Cool. But now I can't get Zedge to reroot my phone (so I can titanium restore system/apps) because the search in market place isn't working.

Thoughts?

Edit: in fact, everything is pretty slow and unresponsive.
    that wont work on DL09
    try one of these methods
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...fascinate.html

that wont work on DL09
    try one of these methods
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...fascinate.html
    Ok, I'll try one of those later tonight.

Whats up with the lack of responsiveness though? I can't seem to click on anything in the market or various applications.

I did get the leaked DL09 btw
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Ok, I'll try one of those later tonight.

Whats up with the lack of responsiveness though? I can't seem to click on anything in the market or various applications.

I did get the leaked DL09 btw
    Could just have been a bad flash , i always recommend that you go with DI01 then just OTA up
    Thanked by:

Could just have been a bad flash , i always recommend that you go with DI01 then just OTA up
    alrighty then, I'll go ahead and re-flash it tomorrow at work when I should be working.

is Titanium backup the way to go for restoring my settings/contacts/apps?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

alrighty then, I'll go ahead and re-flash it tomorrow at work when I should be working.

is Titanium backup the way to go for restoring my settings/contacts/apps?
    yes but i would also back them up to your google account and/or backup assistant both can be found at

settings >accounts and settings> to sync google, check auto sync>press your google account on the bottom>this will give you options to sync , choose contacts

yes but i would also back them up to your google account and/or backup assistant both can be found at

settings >accounts and settings> to sync google, check auto sync>press your google account on the bottom>this will give you options to sync , choose contacts
    sick!

thanks a lot man, you and many others have really made these the whole "hacking" process easier with these threads. i've been thinking of writing up a n00b faq that simply explains some of the terms and processes to get started in customizing once I get further along. its something I thought i would have needed a few weeks ago when I finally decided that the stock VERIZON fascinate is garbage and decided the bloatware had to go. I'm also a graphic designer, and I want to make my phone look the way I want it. I don't have all day to work on it, but I'll get there. apps are next! one of the perks of working for a company that makes phone software is having a handful of engineers
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

That's great we love when people step up and help out the community...and please dont hesitate to ask for help
    sick!

thanks a lot man, you and many others have really made these the whole "hacking" process easier with these threads. i've been thinking of writing up a n00b faq that simply explains some of the terms and processes to get started in customizing once I get further along. its something I thought i would have needed a few weeks ago when I finally decided that the stock VERIZON fascinate is garbage and decided the bloatware had to go. I'm also a graphic designer, and I want to make my phone look the way I want it. I don't have all day to work on it, but I'll get there. apps are next! one of the perks of working for a company that makes phone software is having a handful of engineers

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    UKB 2.1 w/EC09 modem

Default Very Informative!

Thankks as I continue to sink deeper into android...
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by geosnipe View Post
    Thankks as I continue to sink deeper into android...
    you are welcome, the rabbit hole gets deep my friend

thnaks! How do I get rid of 'Superuser'?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast