renaming files after root

stephen.han.lee

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I just rooted my phone using the one-click method and I'm trying to rename the bing search apk to apk.old so I can use voice search with google as mentioned here. I've tried renaming through astro file manager (system/app) but it keeps telling me I have insufficient permissions. Am I doing something wrong here?

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello stephen,

The method that works for me involves downloading the android sdk. Install that (and probably the java se sdk as well)

open up a cmd prompt
cd into the android folders (something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools)
on your phone you need to go to settings>applications>debugging and then check "usb debugging"
now connect your phone with usb cable and wait a few seconds
go back to the cmd prompt you have open and type: adb devices <enter>
that should tell you your device is connected.
now type: adb shell <enter>
type: su <enter>
(check your phone, you might have to "allow su priv."
type: /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk /system/app/I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old

that should do it.

let me know if you have any questions

Reactions: stephen.han.lee

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello stephen,

The method that works for me involves downloading the android sdk. Install that (and probably the java se sdk as well)

open up a cmd prompt
cd into the android folders (something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools)
on your phone you need to go to settings>applications>debugging and then check "usb debugging"
now connect your phone with usb cable and wait a few seconds
go back to the cmd prompt you have open and type: adb devices <enter>
that should tell you your device is connected.
now type: adb shell <enter>
type: su <enter>
(check your phone, you might have to "allow su priv."
type: /system/xbin/busybox mv /system/app/I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk /system/app/I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk.old

that should do it.

let me know if you have any questions

The above mentioned is a good way , you can also get the app Root explorer from the market. it works like astro but it allows you (by hitting a button at that top) to turn on /off read/write permissions.

astro does not support read/write permissions

melch8805

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The above mentioned is a good way , you can also get the app Root explorer from the market. it works like astro but it allows you (by hitting a button at that top) to turn on /off read/write permissions.

astro does not support read/write permissions

Sure if you want to go the glamorous way! HA! :p

Reactions: DroidXcon

stephen.han.lee

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
awesome will try. this rooting stuff might be a little to intense for me. i think i might end up just removing root and waiting for fascinate. i don't care so much for all the bloatware since i have launcherpro. i only want google search to work natively :(

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
awesome will try. this rooting stuff might be a little to intense for me. i think i might end up just removing root and waiting for fascinate. i don't care so much for all the bloatware since i have launcherpro. i only want google search to work natively :(

Root is nothing more then having permission to do stuff, just get root explorer and you are set

then follow this
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...11-got-google-widget-works-now-bing-dead.html

and you can follow this
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...hacks/34208-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html

dont get overly intimidated you will get more comfortable as time goes on

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget, now that you are rooted you can also just flash a new rom that will have all the bloat already removed. Eventually there will be new kernels to flash and we'll see much better performance and battery life. Being rooted has a lot of advantages.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc