SD card as internal memory: files defective/encrypted

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,

I have the following problem with a Nokia 7.2, but assume that it is more of an Android problem. The built-in internal memory was approaching full capacity and I wanted to fix it simply by adding an SD card. So bought one (256GB, SanDisk Extreme, if that matters) and inserted it. Then saw that Android has the great sounding option to just expand the internal storage with the SD card and then everything looks and works like the phone just had 64 + 256GB of built-in storage. The whole thing still with the option to move the files automatically, this seemed like a very convenient and useful option to me. In the meantime I know that this probably leads to problems more often, but here is my problem now, that I have not found so often in any forums, but maybe and hopefully, someone can help me here:
The moving of the files worked (as far as I can judge) perfectly, so it was finished without error message. Unfortunately, however, since this action, I can't access any files on the phone. For example, in the gallery the images are still displayed, but without a thumbnail and when you click on it, it also remains gray. So the files are still there with correct file names and at least plausible file sizes. But they cannot be opened anymore. Copying to PC (both Windows and Linux) works, but the files cannot be opened there either. "Funny" is also: If I make a picture, this is displayed to me first (as the only one...) correctly in the gallery. After a restart it is then also like all other files no longer displayable.
At first I thought something went wrong when moving it, but in the meantime I suspect that the files on the SD card are encrypted (like the memory is encrypted by default on Android), but for some reason are no longer decrypted by the system. I suspect this for the following reasons:
1. if something had gone wrong during moving, there should have been an error message. In addition, all files that were (presumably) moved can no longer be opened.
2. i looked at the content of a file with a hex-editor or through a hex-analyzer and it told me that it is probable that the file was encrypted.

I have already researched the following solutions, but unfortunately they do not work for me:
1. there would be the possibility to read the "master key" from the file system and then decrypt the files or the card. However, the phone would have to be rooted, which it is not. Rooting would require opening the bootloader, which in turn would empty the memory. So no possibility
2. it was reported that it helped to create an image of the entire card and write it to a new card. Supposedly, this would have given people access to their data again. Why that would work was beyond me, but I tried it in desperation. Unfortunately it did not work.

Has anyone here ever heard of such a case? Is there any way to force Android to decrypt the TOTAL memory again (should work after entering the PIN after a reboot, as far as I know)?

Thanks for any suggestions and proposals!

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
The first thing I would do is to reverse what you have done. I would not use an SD card as anything more than file ie movies, pics and docs. It is a known and frequent problem to use an SD card as internal storage that some oem do not even allow anymore. Good luck.

PZ1909

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
The first thing I would do is to reverse what you have done. I would not use an SD card as anything more than file ie movies, pics and docs. It is a known and frequent problem to use an SD card as internal storage that some oem do not even allow anymore. Good luck.

Thank you for your answer. What exactly do you mean by "reverse what you have done"? It seems that I don't have this option. Only thing I could do, is to format the SD card as Mobile Storage, which would delete the content of the card.
Or did I miss the option to reverse the formatting of the SD card?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your answer. What exactly do you mean by "reverse what you have done"? It seems that I don't have this option. Only thing I could do, is to format the SD card as Mobile Storage, which would delete the content of the card.
Or did I miss the option to reverse the formatting of the SD card?
Hi welcome to AC!

I agree that shouldn't use SD card as internal storage, as it causes performance issue,freezes, it's just not as fast as internal storage and they get corrupt, where you formatted the SD card to internal should be option to choose use as external storage again?

PZ1909

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi welcome to AC!

I agree that shouldn't use SD card as internal storage, as it causes performance issue,freezes, it's just not as fast as internal storage and they get corrupt, where you formatted the SD card to internal should be option to choose use as external storage again?

Thank you for your input. Yes, I have the option to format it as External Storage again. But it warns me that I should backup all data from my SD Card as it would be deleted when card is getting formatted. And here's the problem: I can't backup the data manually because it seems encrypted. That's why I hope(d) there is an integrated option to reverse the formatting of the SD Card

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for your input. Yes, I have the option to format it as External Storage again. But it warns me that I should backup all data from my SD Card as it would be deleted when card is getting formatted. And here's the problem: I can't backup the data manually because it seems encrypted. That's why I hope(d) there is an integrated option to reverse the formatting of the SD Card
Yeah anytime you convert to external storage and go back it will format , can turn off the encryption? Should be option been long time playing with this

PZ1909

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
Can try this tool to get video and photos from encrypted SD card

https://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/encrypted-sd-card-photo-recovery

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately the tool couldn't restore the files either. I had a backup from a while ago and copied that to the SD Card after formatting it as portable storage. Pictures that were taken between last backup and now are gone. I tried everything you suggested but I don't think there would have been a possibility to restore them.

But thanks again for your help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately the tool couldn't restore the files either. I had a backup from a while ago and copied that to the SD Card after formatting it as portable storage. Pictures that were taken between last backup and now are gone. I tried everything you suggested but I don't think there would have been a possibility to restore them.

But thanks again for your help!
Sorry to her that , so from now on make multiple back ups on important stuff like drop box,cloud service etc.. that way anything goes wrong you have options