not impressed with DL30

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
So I've played around with the DL30 build, and honestly if this is the best that Verizon/samsung can do, they can keep it.

Bugs i've noticed
1. Exchange PIN/Password policy is buggy

The exchange security policy is enforcing a special character on the PIN setting. The PIN keyboard does not have a special character. This is clearly a bug.

The exchange security policy is enforcing a 15 digit password with special characters. This is beyond our IT department's requirements.

2. Screen transitions are slower than previous version. Left/right stutters are common and the whole system is just not as smooth as DL09.

When benchmarking the system in smart bench it is about 1/2 as fast for me. Linpack is higher, but i don't see linpack as a good real world test.

3. Email support is buggy.

The first full sync with an exchange server takes forever and sometimes will only partially sync.

I'm going back to DL09 clean and i'll wait for a better version of Froyo. The extra features are nice, but this isn't nearly as well done as DL09 for me.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Which build were you using, the "stock" build or the new Supaclean froyo build?

Stock

have a conference call for work right now, but my DL09 didn't restore quite as well as i'd like. Looks like i've got to wipe data and try again.

I keep booting into a set of home screens that are full of "problem loading widget" boxes.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Like anything, your mileage might very. I don't use any of the exchange email support and strictly use gmail on the phone. I think the froyo update is not bad. Gmail is different, you can now copy and paste which is a plus. The phone doesn't feel as snappy as when I was running voodoo but it's still more than acceptable.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
for froyo to actually slow the phone down shows how screwed up Samsung really is when it comes to software development.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So I've played around with the DL30 build, and honestly if this is the best that Verizon/samsung can do, they can keep it.

Bugs i've noticed
1. Exchange PIN/Password policy is buggy

The exchange security policy is enforcing a special character on the PIN setting. The PIN keyboard does not have a special character. This is clearly a bug.

The exchange security policy is enforcing a 15 digit password with special characters. This is beyond our IT department's requirements.

2. Screen transitions are slower than previous version. Left/right stutters are common and the whole system is just not as smooth as DL09.

When benchmarking the system in smart bench it is about 1/2 as fast for me. Linpack is higher, but i don't see linpack as a good real world test.

3. Email support is buggy.

The first full sync with an exchange server takes forever and sometimes will only partially sync.

I'm going back to DL09 clean and i'll wait for a better version of Froyo. The extra features are nice, but this isn't nearly as well done as DL09 for me.

First off, this is a leak, we are not suppose to have it, there is a reason it hasnt been released..its going to have bugs, if it was perfect it would be out.

and like any other Froyo release this is the same response. Everyone screams they want Froyo and in the end they are underwhelmed by it. this goes for everyphone, i remember for the DX people were flipping out at motorola for froyo and in the end it was nothing special.

Reactions: Proletariat

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I loved my phone with Eclair and I love it more with Froyo! Thanks to everyone who made it possible for us to have a leak and install instructions.

flamingoezz

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I loved my phone with Eclair and I love it more with Froyo! Thanks to everyone who made it possible for us to have a leak and install instructions.

i agree..mine works basically the same with some features that are handy (dock audio works, navigate around text easier, flash..

theres hundreds of messages of people complaining about froyo not being out, and then when devs rush to get it to us you complain?? i'm pretty happy the way it is..

and as for it being slower, you shouldnt compare debloated eclair to stock froyo..

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
for froyo to actually slow the phone down shows how screwed up Samsung really is when it comes to software development.

Right, because we have a build Samsung never even released, and we manually shoe-horned it on to our phones. Maybe there's a reason we haven't seen an official release yet?

Stop peeing in the pool.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Did you use Quadrant to benchmark? If so what were your before and after numbers? Thanks.

used quadrant and smart bench. quadrant was around or just under 1k.

linpack in the 13s

I'm not upset at the people that leaked froyo. I also wasn't expecting the world, i've had Froyo on other phones, so i'm not exactly new to it, but i was expecting that if this is really close to being released that it would be a bit better than it is today.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It could still be close to release. You have to keep in we have no idea how old this Froyo build is, they could be up to DL50 by now as far as we know.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
First off, this is a leak, we are not suppose to have it, there is a reason it hasnt been released..its going to have bugs, if it was perfect it would be out.

I was just going to write this exact thing.

Personally, I'm thrilled with 2.2. I don't use Exchange or the TouchWiz launcher, so any issues with them don't affect me. Everything I had working on 2.1 works as good, if not better, on 2.2. I can now use the full Skype app, not that scam that was Skype for Verizon.

The only thing I'm anxious for is one of JT's undervolted kernels to get my battery life back up. Otherwise, I'm totally happy with it.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I know a lot of people still don't like TouchWiz and that's completely their prerogative, but I've found with this leak it runs a lot smoother than before, at least for me anyway. I used to have random lockups when tapping on an app in the dock at the bottom or in the app drawer, but I haven't noticed it once with DL30.

MonkeyGrass

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Funny the random lockups plague me on DL30 and don't exist on DL09 or DI01.

I have to agree with the OP, as much as the devs rock for getting this out, it's not ready for the masses. My phone is pure awesomeness on DL09. It's pure dreck on DL30. Slow, laggy, freezes unexpectedly for 30 seconds at a time, apps do not like to install or uninstall (market or unsigned) it's just chock full 'o issues, I'm afraid. At least on my end. And yeah, it's been wiped, restored to stock DL09 and upgraded every possible way. No issues on my DL09, always worked great on DI01. When every other ROM i've used works great out of the box, and this one falls flat on it's face, it seems pretty obvi that the ROM is what's causing my issues. I can re-flash my kernel and be back on my customized DL09 in a heartbeat, and both that and stock DL09 and stock DI01 run smoothly and with no issues. It's only DL30 that blows my phone up.

Again, mad props to the devs for putting this out and it's a great first step. But there is a reason this isn't out yet. Especially with vzw on the hot-seat for pushing out an update that broke emergency calls - they HAVE to address that quickly, and will likely roll it into 2.2. Which gives them lots of reasons to want to get a quality build out ASAP. Notice this is DL30 - which would be December 30, 2010. That's over 30 days ago and an EON in dev-time. I would guess they are up several build numbers. The full leak doesn't even have any VZW apps/bloat in it, which means they haven't even moved past kernel/OS functionality testing yet, much less VZW app compatibility and testing (unless the devs yanked that stuff out, which doesn't make a lot of sense for a "full" release). We're probably still a month away from a stable or official release, IMO.

Again - I am NOT hatin' on anyone this is progress and the first few new steps are always painful to the early adopters.

Make SURE you have a tested, working nandroid backup and the kernel to go with it stored on the root of your SD card. It may very well save your butt in a pinch, or if your phone reacts like mine did to DL30!!

Reactions: nmyeti

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of people still don't like TouchWiz and that's completely their prerogative, but I've found with this leak it runs a lot smoother than before, at least for me anyway. I used to have random lockups when tapping on an app in the dock at the bottom or in the app drawer, but I haven't noticed it once with DL30.

It did seem pretty smooth in the little time I used it before installing ADW, and overall, I do like the cleanliness of it. My biggest issue is the size of the dock at the bottom - that it only holds 4 icons. If not for that, I'd probably stick with it.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Make SURE you have a tested, working nandroid backup and the kernel to go with it stored on the root of your SD card. It may very well save your butt in a pinch, or if your phone reacts like mine did to DL30!!

ODIN has gotten a workout today. I'm trying one last time to see if my nandroid will restore properly before i just start all over with DL09 and wait for an official release, a fully working CM6 or JT's ASOP.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Did you use Quadrant to benchmark? If so what were your before and after numbers? Thanks.

those are basicly usless.

the reason the phone isnt as snappy (i have noticed it as well) is no voodoo. it runs faster for me than it did on a non voodoo kernel on 2.1. the excahnge problem will eventually get fixed. this is a great build. lots of improvements. yes there some bugs, there was a reason for this, hhhhmmm, what was it? Ah!

ITS A FREAKIN LEAK.

QUIT YOUR WHINING!!!! WE GOT WHAT WE ASKED FOR!!! DONT START B******N AND MOANING NOW!!!

Thanks to all the devs for getting this to us.

Reactions: Billvert

MonkeyGrass

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey man, nobody is WHINING and *****ING.

We are simply posting about OUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with this ROM.

We know it's a leak. That's pretty obvi, don'tcha think?

Sharing less than "OMG FroYo is da SHIZZZZZZ" is whining? Letting folks know real-world experience with flashing this ROM is a bad thing? Funny I thought we were here to share our info and experiences.

It's not ready for release. If you like running alphaware on your phone, go right ahead - we need more testers. Personally, I don't have a "test phone" so I need mine to WORK. All the time. And what the OP and myself are trying to say is, this leak isn't 100% and it can cause some issues on certain phones. That's all. Jeez, I thanked the devs THREE TIMES in my post. Chill out dude. Nobody is attacking you or the devs who release these things. Just commenting on the state of this build and what it's doing to our phones.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
those are basicly usless.

the reason the phone isnt as snappy (i have noticed it as well) is no voodoo. it runs faster for me than it did on a non voodoo kernel on 2.1. the excahnge problem will eventually get fixed. this is a great build. lots of improvements. yes there some bugs, there was a reason for this, hhhhmmm, what was it? Ah!

ITS A FREAKIN LEAK.

QUIT YOUR WHINING!!!! WE GOT WHAT WE ASKED FOR!!! DONT START B******N AND MOANING NOW!!!

Thanks to all the devs for getting this to us.

1. Voodoo largely improves write operations only. Moving around the UI doesn't really gain much if anything from voodoo.
2. yes our devs are awesome, no question about that. Please don't confuse comments about the quality of the software with comments about the quality of the devs. I'm glad they leaked DL30. I'm glad that we were able to play with it, but i'm not at all impressed with the quality of this software. If someone is looking for it to be the end all, or OMG FROYOS! like some of the posts around here, this might serve as a reality check.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch