Google maps and navigation works

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up the device at my local vzw store moments ago. first thing I did was download and install google maps. Maps and navigation works perfectly. Yoohoo!
Now I am going home and work on customization.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yup. Same for me.

I just got back from my local VZW store. No line. I immediately downloaded Google Maps. It installed and ran fine.

Turned on Google Navigation and navigated home. GPS locked quickly, seemed accurate (within reason, maybe 25-50 feet) and gave perfect spoken turn-by turn directions. Woo hoo.

I am gonna download some things and play for a while, but my # 1 concern looks to be appeased right now.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Awesome news. I ordered mine this morning over the phone so hopefully I will have it tomorrow. Glad to know Maps is working!

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes. My #1 concern was also google maps. In fact, it was my only concern. And gps was spot on for me and it locked on instantaneously .

Btw, the screen protector they gave me was some new antiglare matte-type one ....i don't feel too comfortable with it. Anyone else got the same screen protector?

geocomp

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up the device at my local vzw store moments ago. first thing I did was download and install google maps. Maps and navigation works perfectly. Yoohoo!
Now I am going home and work on customization.

Yup. Same for me.

I just got back from my local VZW store. No line. I immediately downloaded Google Maps. It installed and ran fine.

Turned on Google Navigation and navigated home. GPS locked quickly, seemed accurate (within reason, maybe 25-50 feet) and gave perfect spoken turn-by turn directions. Woo hoo.

I am gonna download some things and play for a while, but my # 1 concern looks to be appeased right now.

This is great news. Thanks for posting the information. :D

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Whew. I ordered already so this really makes me feel better. About that matte screen protector, I have one for my D1 and I like it because there are no finger prints. I don't know if I would put it on the beautiful fascinate screen. The gorilla glass really doesn't need a protector, and it would detract from the nice screen. Then again fingerprints would be a non-issue.

briang00

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
OK where did you download Google Maps from cause I looked for it on the Fascinate, DX, and DInc and could not find it. Went to m.google.com to download off web and it said to down load from Market, with a link. Hit the link and said it could not be found.
This is a deal breaker for me and the Fascinate.

Ivisi

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I went down to the Verizon store to check out the Fascinate in person (office is responsible for our phone contracts), and I was able to go into the Market, search for Google Maps, download and install with 0 issues. Worked perfectly, quick GPS lock on current location, and fast navigation search from the store back to my office. Now I just have to wait for my office to friggin order it for me.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
OK where did you download Google Maps from cause I looked for it on the Fascinate, DX, and DInc and could not find it. Went to m.google.com to download off web and it said to down load from Market, with a link. Hit the link and said it could not be found.

I don't understand. The Market on my phone still shows Google Maps (along with Google Earth and Google Sky Map - top three results) when I search for "Google Maps". This is strange.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Yeah...go to the Market app on your fascinate and just search for google maps. It's there, you were just going at it the wrong way. The link to the market app may be incorrect now when you try to do it from the web browser. Launch the Market App and search. It's there.

Twisted

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't find google maps from the market on my fascinate either. And yes I searched correctly. I just downloaded barcode scanner and then searched androlib.com for google maps and scanned the QR code. Found it and downloaded it fine that way.

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
i found google maps just fine on the market with my fascinate. installed and the navigation gives me the choice between google and bing and i can choose my default by the looks of it

midwestfx

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't find google maps from the market on my fascinate either. And yes I searched correctly. I just downloaded barcode scanner and then searched androlib.com for google maps and scanned the QR code. Found it and downloaded it fine that way.

That's what I like to see. People thinking outside the box!

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
So I bought my Fascinate yesterday. Like you guys, right from the start I downloaded Google Maps. And to my surprise it worked almost instantaneously.
BUT then I tried it today to see if it had any issues on my way to work. I have a 15-minute commute and it took 10 minutes of "Searching for GPS..." for it to lock-on. Once it locked on, it looked like it was right on the mark, but wow it took a long time. I'm not too sure what to think of this.
Has anyone tried VZNav to see if the same issues happen with that? If so, maybe it's a hardware problem? If not, maybe it's software and fixable.
I use GPS quite a bit when I go out of town once every couple of months. If there's no progess with this I may have to return it. Any thoughts?

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
So I bought my Fascinate yesterday. Like you guys, right from the start I downloaded Google Maps. And to my surprise it worked almost instantaneously.
BUT then I tried it today to see if it had any issues on my way to work. I have a 15-minute commute and it took 10 minutes of "Searching for GPS..." for it to lock-on. Once it locked on, it looked like it was right on the mark, but wow it took a long time. I'm not too sure what to think of this.
Has anyone tried VZNav to see if the same issues happen with that? If so, maybe it's a hardware problem? If not, maybe it's software and fixable.
I use GPS quite a bit when I go out of town once every couple of months. If there's no progess with this I may have to return it. Any thoughts?

I doubt that your problem has anything to do with the navigation app, but rather is in the underlying GPS function of the Fascinate device. Try rebooting, and making sure that all three options under Settings -> Location & Security are checked as enabled. If this workaround solves the problem, you may need to reboot at least daily.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that your problem has anything to do with the navigation app, but rather is in the underlying GPS function of the Fascinate device. Try rebooting, and making sure that all three options under Settings -> Location & Security are checked as enabled. If this workaround solves the problem, you may need to reboot at least daily.

All 3 of those are selected. I see a lot of people stating they kow how many satellites they're connected to. How do I find that out? An app?