Droid x or Fascinate

ebrown126

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a fascinate.

It's good, not the best. Touch wiz sucks but so does Moto Blur. My favorite is HTC Sense, but you can get Sense by downloading Launcher Pro.

Anyway, the screen is perfect. 4.0 seems like the sweetspot. X's 4.3 can seem a bit too big. For some reason the X feels kinda cheep. I really dont like the screen.

The browser is pretty fast, swipe works awesome for texting. I really think overall its a good purchase.

I'm having problems with mine though. I took one back, Bluetooth failed, Gmail stopped pushing through, and my contacts pitcures via facebook are all pixelated. They look like 8 bit graphics. This is minor but really bothers me.

I just got another phone, and everything is running smooth again. The pics came through nicely, but like the last phone, they got all pixelated again. It seems like they are not rendering.

So I'm taking this back for good. I'll wait for the holiday season to get something that works properly.

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have had both or should I say I have both...and Motorola does have some nice things but I think the Samsung gets the nod. I think it is a "smoother" phone if that makes sense.
They are very similar and people will tell you that it is personal preference which it is of course, but I think Samsung's form factor just makes it a nicer phone to carry around..

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
They're both great phones and similar in a lot of ways. Since it is about personal preference... I have had horrendous luck with Motorolas. I had the option when my Droid 2 broke (7th Motorola android phone, btw), I had the option of switching to ANY phone in the store. The X never crossed my mind, it was between the Dinc and the Fascinate for me, but I went with the Fascinate because it had just come out that day. I don't regret it.

cdodge

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
both are good. i like the look and feel of the Fascinate alot better and it fits in my pocket.

Once roms start rolling out the software issues should not be an issue. I just saw that cyongen will start working on galaxy S ports once froyo for the captive is released. Hopefully Soon!

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I thought long and hard about this one. I like both phones. I like the screen image on the Fascinate and the screen size of the DX. Both are too close to the same size to matter much. So in this regard I liked the Fascinate.

However the thing that swung the Fascinate, which I purchased today, came down to the locked boot loader on the DX. I look at it this way. I pay a couple of hundred bucks for the phone and about $1,000 a year for my phone and another $500+ for mifi Internet from Verizon. I think for that kind of money I should have the right to be the superuser on MY phone, not some corporate schmuck (or group thereof). Android is after all "supposed to be" an open platform. Since the root for the Fascinate seems pretty straight forward, I went that way.

So far I like the Fascinate just fine.

Socfan12

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought long and hard about this one. I like both phones. I like the screen image on the Fascinate and the screen size of the DX. Both are too close to the same size to matter much. So in this regard I liked the Fascinate.

However the thing that swung the Fascinate, which I purchased today, came down to the locked boot loader on the DX. I look at it this way. I pay a couple of hundred bucks for the phone and about $1,000 a year for my phone and another $500+ for mifi Internet from Verizon. I think for that kind of money I should have the right to be the superuser on MY phone, not some corporate schmuck (or group thereof). Android is after all "supposed to be" an open platform. Since the root for the Fascinate seems pretty straight forward, I went that way.

So far I like the Fascinate just fine.

I currently have the Fascinate (about 2 weeks) and am getting frustrated by the work arounds to get google apps (search and places) to work on this phone. I'm seriously tempted to switch to the Droid X - slightly bigger screen, I think is sharper for text (I surf a lot on my way home from work), and more flash memory.

I don't plan to root the phone, but having said that, what are the cons of having a locked boot loader? what won't I be able to do?

Apologies, android newbie coming from an iphone.

cheers

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
If you intend not to root, then there are probably no cons to a locked boot loader. You are probably like most people who also will never root, nor ever even know there is something they can do for their phone by rooting. With a locked boot loader, rooting the phone as we came to know and love with the original Droid is not possible. Yes root is available, but that simply lets all of the bloatware crap preloaded be removed. There are apparently ways to work around the locked bootloader with some degree of ROM customization. It is a personal quirk that Motorola's decision angers me past my ability to buy the Droid X. YMMV.

But in your case, never intending to root, and not wanting the Google workarounds, the Droid X may well be your best choice. The screen appearance and/or size of screen will probably be the determining factor, or of course the Google issue. I personally have no problems so far, other than the Market only transferred my purchased apps, not the free apps, through my account. I personally would wish the quick search button to be long gone as I think it is a huge PITA as I am forever inadvertently swiping my thumb over it when scrolling and thus having to back out of an untindended search. I would just as soon take the extra tap to open the browser to do the search. I use Skyfire and Google is default there. ALso the buttons at the bottom of the screen need to stay lit up like the Droid.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm shocked in myself, but even with the GPS issues I've experienced, and the great financial loss I will incur after paying full price for the X & all of it's accessories, in the end I have chosen the Fascinate. It hits the sweet spot in size and I just like the looks of it more. That said, I certainly like the high quality metal feel that the X offers. Also, you can't argue that 2.2 isn't an advantage the X currently has.

riggsmagic

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Lets talk about screen quailty. Does anyone else think the dimensions of the screen on Droid X is just awful. Its long and narrow. It pixelates everything to fit the oblong shape. Forget about everything else becuase they both are almost a tie on it all. But screen quailty. Doesn't the matter anymore? Oh yea and about the camera x is just horrible comapred to the fascy.

> Via Fascinate Courtesy Of Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Lets talk about screen quailty. Does anyone else think the dimensions of the screen on Droid X is just awful. Its long and narrow. It pixelates everything to fit the oblong shape. Forget about everything else becuase they both are almost a tie on it all. But screen quailty. Doesn't the matter anymore? Oh yea and about the camera x is just horrible comapred to the fascy.

I would agree with that. Although I wouldn't say the X is terrible.

riggsmagic

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Horrible maybe a stretch but even compared to the Droid incredible the camera is much better on it then the X. But all said and done the fascinate trumps the X, hands down. ( from personal use on both devices.)

> Via Fascinate Courtesy Of Tapatalk

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
As has been said, the X and Fascinate do tie in a lot of ways, and for me the screen gives the Fascinate one up on the X, but another selling point for me (bc on Fascinate release day I had the D2, and I had the option of trading it for ANY phone in the entire store) is that the Fascinate is Samsung, not Motorola. Although the X has a huge screen, for me on the 10th it was a tossup between the Dinc and the Fascinate. X wasn't even considered bc I had horrendous luck with Motorola.

Socfan12

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
You guys are making me reconsider. Went to the store and used the Fascinate camera to take pics of some of the merchandise. Have to say, the camera is pretty sharp. But I find the amoled screen a bit too saturated for my taste (I'm into photography) and while pleasing at first look, it does get a bit weary on my eyes. And the gps doesn't really work. I do like LBS's, like yelp, places, etc., but they crippled by a crappy gps. Heard software may fix that?

I would love to get rid of the bloatware. Maybe I'll root the phone after the froyo update anticipated at the EOM. Hope it comes on time. I will still have a few days to decide to switch my phone or not.

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Try going to the market and downloading an app called GPS Status. It's from an outfit called eclipslim and is going to cost $2.00. Go into the menu>GPS & Sensors>Manage A-GPS State>reset>download. That might help. I had some concern with potential GPS issues with the Fascinate, but my GPS works fine, at least as well as the Droid GPS did.

Yes the Fascinate screen does hit the screen "sweet spot" better than the DX, which does seem to need to be a bit wider for the length.

The only real issue with my Fascinate so far is that it keeps dropping data connections.

Socfan12

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
thanks, will give that a try.

like packerbacker, I do like the buddies widget that comes with the TouchWiz interface, but I'm using Launcher Pro so i can get google search. Any recommended people widgets out there?

thx

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and I will give the edge to the X for the simple and most important reason first......it's a phone first. Call quality and RF are better.....period on the X.

Battery life is better on the X. The X battery takes only 45 minutes to charge and the Fasinate battery takes 3 hours plus.

Enough of this camera crap. It's a fricken phone. The X takes very good pictures as does the Fascinate.

I just don't like the feel of the Fascinate in my hand. It's slippery and I don't want to put a cover on it. I prefer going naked and enjoying my phone. With the X, I feel like I am carrying something of substance.

For gaming.....I just don't care enough about it to say anything.

Data......the Fascinate at first really looked good when it came to browsing the web. It's a tad faster then the X sometimes but for the most part, they load pages equally.

The screen on the Fascinate is gorgeous! The X is very good and with the extra real estate, I don't miss the gorgeous screen of the Fascinate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress