Who is having successful GPS locks quickly?

dlawrence127

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
GPS Issues

I've had the Fascinate for a week now after diting my iPhone 4 b/c AT&T sucks -- still adjusting a little and rooted the phone earlier in the week but the biggest let down is the GPS - it is NEVER accurate -- and i don't mean a little off, i mean BLOCKS off -- I'm using the Google Maps app... what am I doing wrong?

I don't see anyone else complaining about this, so maybe it's my phone?

Socfan12

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Fascinate for a week now after diting my iPhone 4 b/c AT&T sucks -- still adjusting a little and rooted the phone earlier in the week but the biggest let down is the GPS - it is NEVER accurate -- and i don't mean a little off, i mean BLOCKS off -- I'm using the Google Maps app... what am I doing wrong?

I don't see anyone else complaining about this, so maybe it's my phone?

I have trouble getting gps lock, but after I DL'd the GPS status app and reset the gps cache, I get lock pretty quikly. I used it for fun tonight to drive home (10 miles) va Google navigation. It was spot as far as what road I was on.

dlawrence127

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
ok, i found the way to reset the cache and am using gps status -- gets me a little closer, but still off by 2 blocks... hawk, thanks for the link - read thru it and don't understand 1/2 of whats said...

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what's different about this phone, but I seem to be doing much, much better with GPS.

I did the initial lock today, and it took 4:40.

While that isn't surprising, the fact that since then I've gotten up to 10 sats fixed with 1m error certainly is.

I'm also sitting at my desk, where I never was able to get a lock with the old facsinate hooked up with up to 7/9 sats and 6m error. This took no more than 45 secs.

This was all tested via GPS status. We'll see if it lasts when trying from cold on another day.

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what's different about this phone, but I seem to be doing much, much better with GPS.

I did the initial lock today, and it took 4:40.

While that isn't surprising, the fact that since then I've gotten up to 10 sats fixed with 1m error certainly is.

I'm also sitting at my desk, where I never was able to get a lock with the old facsinate hooked up with up to 7/9 sats and 6m error. This took no more than 45 secs.

This was all tested via GPS status. We'll see if it lasts when trying from cold on another day.

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Update:
I got my replacement phone on Friday. I have them both in hand, so I can compare one against the other. I synced them so they are mirror images of each other, to rule out any rogue app from messing up the comparison.

The new one seems slightly faster and maybe a bit more accurate. The accuracy figures seem to ebb and flow so its hard to say for sure. The difference in lock speed is maybe 10% faster on the new one. Some have mentioned this can degrade over time so not sure what to think. I guess the overall is that there is no eye popping difference in the GPS. The compass heading displayed on GPS Status or GPS Test is much more stable on the new unit at walking speeds.

I tried all the tricks with GPS Status. Clearing the AGPS Data, loading new data etc. Does not seem to make much difference on either unit. Your still left waiting for minutes at a time, for it to lock onto the signals..... once you get a lock, the next one will be much faster if its done in an hour or two. If you wait 6 hours its back to square one.

The one really noticeable difference is the screen. My first one has good whites. On the dimmest brightness its still a cool white or gray. The new one is really tinted towards muddy green on the lower brightness levels. Its very noticeable. As it gets towards the brightest settings the tint starts to fade and difference is less noticeable.

Last edited:

Android_IPA

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Both of my Fascinates (my wife and I) acquire an accurate lock within seconds of deploying any GPS app. No issues at all, even when using walking directions downtown amongst the tall buildings. I get a sat or two locked even inside my house.

My Fascinate locks a tiny bit quicker than the GF's Dinc, and about the same as my work phone (Droid 1).

dlawrence127

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I've read thru everything, installed GPS status, reset cache, put signal filter on strong, rebooted everything, and it locks quickly to the wrong location, off by about a block and a 1/2, and it just chills there for 7 to 9 minutes before locking on my actual location.

There are some things I really like about this phone, but the lack of accurate gps might be a deal breaker and force me back to AT&T for my iphone 4, as I use the GPS almost daily (i travel a lot).

i'm also don't have a clue what i'm doing w/ all the programming hacks and stuff, so there's a good chance i screwed something up myself (you don't want to know the issues i had w/ noLED...) -- let me know if anyone has any other suggestions!

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Both of my Fascinates (my wife and I) acquire an accurate lock within seconds of deploying any GPS app. No issues at all, even when using walking directions downtown amongst the tall buildings. I get a sat or two locked even inside my house.

My Fascinate locks a tiny bit quicker than the GF's Dinc, and about the same as my work phone (Droid 1).

Apparently, if you have both, a wife and a girl friend, you also get a Fascinate that can establish a GPS lock in 30 seconds:cool: