Dial by name issue

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's my problem (amongst many others):

I open the phone dialer, and I dial the alpha numerical digits to match a contact name. I find the name I'm looking for, but it only display 1 phone number. If the contact has multiple phone #'s, it doesn't allow me to choose amongst them. I don't necessarily want the number it displays. Anyone else? Hopefully I'm being an idiot and I'm missing a simple step.

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's my problem (amongst many others):

I open the phone dialer, and I dial the alpha numerical digits to match a contact name. I find the name I'm looking for, but it only display 1 phone number. If the contact has multiple phone #'s, it doesn't allow me to choose amongst them. I don't necessarily want the number it displays. Anyone else? Hopefully I'm being an idiot and I'm missing a simple step.

I just tried this, and found that you will see a number with a downward arrow right below it on the right-hand side below the number being dialed. Hit that number with arrow below it and it will bring up the list. I think this is what you are talking about.

EDIT: If you type in one of the numbers for a person with two numbers, it will only display that one when you press the button described above. But if you type it in partially given that it is the same area code and all, that will usually narrow it down to the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cory Streater

Bryant.Villada

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
thnx

Thanks for having this frustration Cory, I had the same frustration just never posted about it but now I have the solution. Thanks for the solution too, simple step that I over looked. Now I can say with 100% that samsung has incorporated the best stock dialer available on any android phone.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't see it working for me, so let me make sure I'm doing this right. I have a contact with 3 numbers: home, cell and work. I type in the full home number. Is finds the contact that goes to it, and I see the little arrow but it only has a 1 above it. When I hit the down arrow it only shows me the number I typed in. So you are saying it should show all 3?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't see it working for me, so let me make sure I'm doing this right. I have a contact with 3 numbers: home, cell and work. I type in the full home number. Is finds the contact that goes to it, and I see the little arrow but it only has a 1 above it. When I hit the down arrow it only shows me the number I typed in. So you are saying it should show all 3?

See, that's what I swear was happening to me earlier, but now it isn't :confused:

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

It will not show all three numbers if you type the full home number. Basically the only way I could get it to work was to type in the area code and all numbers up to the point at which the numbers for all three become different. So for example if you have three numbers:

1-234-324-2211
1-234-324-4532
1-234-324-6785

you can only type in 1-234-324 in order to get all three to show up, but I realize it will probably be pretty rare when the first 7 numbers are the same.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I just usually dial the first three letters in the name, and if there is a different number I use the down arrow (which shows how many numbers contain that variable).

Reactions: NickA

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I just usually dial the first three letters in the name, and if there is a different number I use the down arrow (which shows how many numbers contain that variable).

Thanks for this info. Cory, I misread your post, sorry. When I dial the digits that match the name, I do get the contact. When I click it (the contact that pops up) then I get the three numbers. Either way, I didn't know that feature was there so this was a big help.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this info. Cory, I misread your post, sorry. When I dial the digits that match the name, I do get the contact. When I click it (the contact that pops up) then I get the three numbers. Either way, I didn't know that feature was there so this was a big help.

that's how it works for me. i get the number choices after clicking on the name.

i just wish it labeled the numbers too, sometimes i don't remember which is which :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch