What is it with email & reception!!!!

MHB1638

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've owned this phone for little over a week and I'm already losing patience with it. It has the new Dl9 update and its in stock form, IE not rooted or anything like that.

First issue: Reception! OMFG, can the phone suck more at this? My phone has NEVER once showed more than 2 bars. I did the roaming update trick and even went into Verizon about this. My old BB storm 2 had max bars in my house and certain spots in town I could recall. My wife's DX has slightly worse signal than my old BB but she gets max signal here and there, 3 bars in the house. I can drive to work (2011 Dodge Ram on Uconnect) and watch the bars go to 2 to 0 to red to 1, to 1x almost instantly. My phone stays in 1x more than 3g! I don't get it! When I asked Verizon about this they said yeah, reception in those phones arent the greatest...um WTF dude, why are you selling this **** then??? To be fair they did try to get me into a DX but I don't like those phones. I like the smooth high gloss AMOLED of mine...but the reception...Geez! Never seen a phone with horrible reception like this. As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, why does WIFI override my 3g? If I use my home network it kills the 3G...cause it will say "can't cannot cause you're using WIFI" blah blah blah.

Email...Dear lord what's the freaking deal with updating mail? I have 3 email accounts and only one ever updates...care to guess which one? My yahoo and my time warner emails don't update even though they are set to ever 5 minutes. Again, asked Verizon about this...same reply...except they said its a Android phone, email isn't instant with them and for me to download the Yahoo app for the mail. So, I did. And for the first 3 days it was instant notification. Today, nothing. I click the Yahoo mail icon and it downloads 11 emails, all of which are 5-10 hours old. Even worse the screen transition has gotten much worse. Meaning I click the mail...count to 5...it opens. I hit the button on bottum of screen, count to 8, the options pull up, I hit delete mail, 3 seconds go by its gone.

As a test my wife sent me an email and guess what, it arrived within 5 minutes on my Yahoo. Why is this system so damn buggy?

So I ask the experts out there, is this phone just absolutely stupid with reception and email? It makes me miss my Storm 2 already, even tough I hated its lag, its surepess, constant battery pulls....but it had reception and email instantly!! I've tried K9 email and it was ok, but I didn't care for its UI interface.....

Thoughts?

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Breathe.

Now. As far as reception goes, lets take a look at a few things. What the phone shows for bars is a little lower than most, even on the same signal level. Do you have dropped calls/poor call quality? I usually have 2-3 bars, sometimes only 1, but it never effects the usage of the phone. If you want to look at what you're signal strength actually is, in decibels per milliwatt (dBm), you can look at the diagnostics menu of the phone. To access it, dial *#4636*1111#. As soon as you hit the last # it should pop up. You want to look in the Phone information menu. If nothing happens, you need to enable the hiddenmenu. To do that, dial *#22745927. It will ask for the SPC code, which is 000000, then hit the radio button to enable.

Email. Yes, the stock email apps does kinda suck. It is notorious for not polling certain servers as scheduled. The best way around it is to use a 3rd party email app like K-9, as you tried. If you don't like that one specifically (the look is customizable in the menus) you can always try others as well. The market is full of em.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Honestly if you want a good email solution just bite the bullet and forward your other accounts to your gmail inbox. You can sort/label them out or even make different gmail accounts for each and the phone can manage them a lot better. Everyone with yahoo mail complains, it's just the law of the land with android. Support for exchange/owa and gmail are fantastic though, and the services are a lot better to begin with so its more of google saying "why are you torturing yourself with yahoo?"

MHB1638

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Breathe.

Now. As far as reception goes, lets take a look at a few things. What the phone shows for bars is a little lower than most, even on the same signal level. Do you have dropped calls/poor call quality? I usually have 2-3 bars, sometimes only 1, but it never effects the usage of the phone. If you want to look at what you're signal strength actually is, in decibels per milliwatt (dBm), you can look at the diagnostics menu of the phone. To access it, dial *#4636*1111#. As soon as you hit the last # it should pop up. You want to look in the Phone information menu. If nothing happens, you need to enable the hiddenmenu. To do that, dial *#22745927. It will ask for the SPC code, which is 000000, then hit the radio button to enable.

Email. Yes, the stock email apps does kinda suck. It is notorious for not polling certain servers as scheduled. The best way around it is to use a 3rd party email app like K-9, as you tried. If you don't like that one specifically (the look is customizable in the menus) you can always try others as well. The market is full of em.

Sorry for my rant, just irritating sometimes. You make a good point though, as it may be only indication only not actual. <My signal shows -81 to -91dBm--bouncing around with phone at my side.
Thanks for the heads up on email
Honestly if you want a good email solution just bite the bullet and forward your other accounts to your gmail inbox. You can sort/label them out or even make different gmail accounts for each and the phone can manage them a lot better. Everyone with yahoo mail complains, it's just the law of the land with android. Support for exchange/owa and gmail are fantastic though, and the services are a lot better to begin with so its more of google saying "why are you torturing yourself with yahoo?"
'You're probably right....uggg!

MHB1638

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention it with the Fascinate, the lack of LED indicators...only the stock email client gives me an indication of email using NOLED app. Yahoo and K9 never did. Kinda of a downer on that end...

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey i hate to butt in on this but how do you forward yahoo emails to gmail i have looked and looked and cant get how its it done.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey i hate to butt in on this but how do you forward yahoo emails to gmail i have looked and looked and cant get how its it done.

Log into your email on their website, not a mail client. Click on Options in the top right. There's an email forwarding section.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Log into your email on their website, not a mail client. Click on Options in the top right. There's an email forwarding section.

Yeah if you find a forwarding option on the web site of your provider, thats the easiest way. There are alternatives, like setting up gmail to act like a mail client and check your other inboxes as well. That's a bit more complex, though.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah if you find a forwarding option on the web site of your provider, thats the easiest way. There are alternatives, like setting up gmail to act like a mail client and check your other inboxes as well. That's a bit more complex, though.

You generally get a few more features with that method too. Like when you set mail to go from server A to server B, you can remove it or mark it as read on server A so it doesn't get all cluttered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez