Play Store Car Dock + VZ GN = ?

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I've decided to go ahead and buy the Car Dock from the Google Play Store with hopes that it works with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The order has been placed today so it should be here in two days (Monday, I suppose).

I originally was going to update my comment to the News Article here on AndroidCentral but I figure the forums would be the better place in case a discussion begins about this.

In case you missed it, the News Article I'm referring to is: Google Play Store now selling Galaxy Nexus accessories - If you're in the US

I am going to make sure that the phone charges AND that audio does actually play through the 3.5mm port.

If my father permits me (he's protective of his tech when i'm around :)), I am going to also test the dock with his Sprint Galaxy Nexus just to be sure.

I will post on this thread with any updates to my experiences.

anon(174838)

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I decided to buy the landscape dock since it looked identical to the one on the samsung website selling for $90

Just got it today, they are different model numbers ( Play Store EDD-D1F2BEGSTD | Samsung EDD-D1F8BEBSTD ), the phone actually fits in the dock, but won't charge unless you put slight pressure on the left side - my guess is that pesky 1mm difference in thickness is to blame - I shall see what I can do with some dremeling

Anyone else have any luck?

anon(174838)

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I decided to buy the landscape dock since it looked identical to the one on the samsung website selling for $90

Just got it today, they are different model numbers ( Play Store EDD-D1F2BEGSTD | Samsung EDD-D1F8BEBSTD ), the phone actually fits in the dock, but won't charge unless you put slight pressure on the left side - my guess is that pesky 1mm difference in thickness is to blame - I shall see what I can do with some dremeling

Anyone else have any luck?

dremel = success!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered the car dock from the Play store as well. Will try to modify it as needed and provide feedback. Cannot stand the mount any longer!! :)

whodatt

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Did the op receive the car dock? Did it work? Anxious to buy it if it works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I finally received my car dock. UPS decided to not deliver it the first time.

Anyway, I am happy to report that it does in fact work with both the Verizon and Sprint Galaxy Nexus. However as others say on here, modifications are needed to make the buttons work properly. I seem to only ever get the power OR the volume buttons to work on the unmodified car dock. I am going to make the recommended modifications tonight.

Also, it does put the phone in car mode, the audio out port does work and it does charge the phone.

I will be making a little video about it tonight. Does anyone have any particular questions you want me to answer?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

rwong48

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
With audio connected, does the phone use the internal microphone for calls and other voice dictations (like "speak destination" in Navigation)

I ask, because I did phone->bluetooth device->car aux in, and the phone attempted to use the bluetooth device for its microphone, when the bluetooth device does not have one. If the dock uses Bluetooth as the backend for audio, it may or may not be vulnerable to the same issue (I'd think they were smart enough to cover that.) Meanwhile, with a standard 3.5mm audio cable (with no mic pin) connected, it's smart enough to determine that I *don't* have a microphone connected, and uses the on-phone microphone.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I would love a little more information about the modifications required... sounds like some trimming around the volume rocker. I assumed it would make more sense when I had it in hand, but that is the only real question I have. What do we need to trim, what tool did you use, and how much did you trim? :)

All of that, I think will be easier for me once I see it myself, but would LOVE to read how others did it too for ideas.

Really glad to hear it works so nicely.

tylermich7

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine in today. I shaved the power button down a bit which made it work perfectly as should. Only issue I am having is even after shaving down the volume (down) rocker. Its having an issue either touching the down key or with isn't touching it at all. Other than that the dock works great. Although I did notice its extremely snuck to the point that I noticed its starting to leave scratches on the casing along the endges if the screen. Not the screen itself but the casing around it on the phone.
And that's only after a few take outs and put it. (About 4 altogether)
But anyone have any idea in why I can't get the correct shaven from the volume rocker?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running LiquidSmooth 1.4 via Tapatalk.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Have not modified it yet. It works however, though either the volume or power buttons usually have trouble. Not sure exactly where to "shave", but I have some thoughts. Also reading up on the linked material here to get a better idea.

It DOES work though. I find putting the bottom edge in, and tilting it inwards makes sure the pogo pins get contact. If I do top in first, I have to push on the left side a little like another posted noted. Hopefully it will fit perfect once I figure out what to cut off :).

But it works!

Edit- Second link, second video above shows exactly.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Did the modifications in the video posted above. Sharp, short knife. Little scraping. Doesn't seem like you do much, but you only need a little and the buttons work fine. Been working fine the last few days in the car.

hallifax

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey umm could someone post the link for the video?? It's not in the previous posts, I really want a car dock for vz gnex,

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

david2653

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Just bought galaxy nexus car dock on the google play website. I have a verizon wireless gnex. everything fit into my phone with no problem. The 3 pongs fit in perfect, it charges my phone and goes on landscape. Unfortunately I do not have Bluetooth in my car, but with my 3.5mm jack the Audio works great and Sounds great. THE Only problem is that you cannot use the your phone calls with it. It goes to the speaker in the phone rather than the speaker through your car. Your ringtone will ring through your car speakers but when you answer it goes back to the speaker on the phone. I checked all setting no luck.. Hope this is helpful