francos kernel questions

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
first off, i dont know what i'd do without this site and it's regulars. you guys have saved me multiple times!

i'm running the latest version of codename rom and i'm thinking about upgrading my kernel to francos kernel and i'm wondering where is the best place to get it. after i get it i'm not real sure how i should install it. do i install a .zip from recovery and if so what needs to be deleted (dalvik, cache etc.) i've never upgraded my kernel so basically i'm looking for a how to. thanks in advance.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
first off, i dont know what i'd do without this site and it's regulars. you guys have saved me multiple times!

i'm running the latest version of codename rom and i'm thinking about upgrading my kernel to francos kernel and i'm wondering where is the best place to get it. after i get it i'm not real sure how i should install it. do i install a .zip from recovery and if so what needs to be deleted (dalvik, cache etc.) i've never upgraded my kernel so basically i'm looking for a how to. thanks in advance.

Honestly, the best place is to go to the Market and buy his app. His updater app gives you the option to auto flash in addition to a variety of settings that would otherwise be controlled through more difficult means.

When flashing kernels, it is best to make a backup (good practice!) and wipe cache/dalvik. That's how I do it (well not a backup everytime). In his app, I choose to download the zip, then reboot into recovery and do the wipes and then flash.

Also, you can autoflash it, but I'm unsure about the risks involved with no wiping.

Reactions: chriscw81

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
+1 to buying his app. It makes getting updated kernels way easier and its necessary to control many aspects of the kernel. I don't wipe anything when flashing a kernel, I think his update script will wipe dalvik for you.

Edit, and he does good work so buying his app supports that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: chriscw81

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
just realized if i would have read the description of the app in market better i would have seen "simple tool to download AND update franco.Kernel". once again thanks for the help, time to got upgrade my kernel

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
just realized if i would have read the description of the app in market better i would have seen "simple tool to download AND update franco.Kernel". once again thanks for the help, time to got upgrade my kernel

No problem! Enjoy and keep us posted.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
+1 using Franco Kernel way better performance.
4.0.4 Stock, Franco's blend!

Sent using axne1's
Beastly Galaxy Nexus Prime!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38