nandroid/roms how long to keep

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
how long do you keep old roms that you have flashed? do you just keep the newest versoin then delete the rest or if you want to flash that rom just re download it? and delete all of them?

now on backups
how many do you keep i have like my original stock as soon as i rooted i have my newest gummy, liquid 1.25, liquid 1.25 themed and now i will have the same two with 1.3 lol so i guess if 1.3 works fine i can delete the 1.25s

but how about all the dowloaded roms a lot of space being used if i dont need to save them just wondering what most people do

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I keep a rom or two and a couple versions of radios on my phone just to be careful. Almost never use them.

I always keep a recent backup and (out of habit really) keep the original stock-rooted nandroid. I go in and delete what i dont need pretty often just to be ocd about it.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Once I install a rom, I delete it. After a couple days after I got it all modded and themed, I do a nandroid and delete the previous one.

Once I'm on aokp 33 for example, I have no desire to go back to build 32, so at all times I only have one nandroid.

That's what I do, everybody is different.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I keep "final" versions of any rom I try. By final I mean the last backup I do right before flashing something else. I have the bone stock rooted Rom also in the archives.

I dont keep safety backups, which are backups I make before major changes longer then a week. I also have a current rom backup I run every week just out of habit from my D1 days.
Also a couple of radios, boot loader, and recovery is on the SD card just for emergency cases.
Remember you can remove backups you don't need via the computer. They are all on the SD under clockwork. Just remove and rename the ones you don't need all the time and keep 1 or 2 solid ones for emergency sake.

Reactions: steveinil

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
ok thanks so sounds like everyone is pretty much on the same page as what i was thinking thanks all for the advice flashed liquid 1..3 last night and getting ready to theme it aswe speak..:) or type lol

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the main point here is we all agree to keep at least one backup at all times, the most important part is pull it off your device and throw a copy on your computer to have as a hard copy just in case...

Don't forget too folks you can manually rename a CWM backup using any file explorer like ES File Explorer to something a little easier to remember... Just make sure you do it in this format..

mycwmbackup42412

or

my_cwm_backup_4_24_12

Make sure you stick with the underscores and not dashes.. Dashes for some reason don't always seem to work and try to avoid any spaces. At least this route of renaming them CWM still recognizes them and you can personalize the filename so its easier to remember what it is.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
the ROM's i usually keep my last one and the one i am currently running.

as for backups....i have my stock backup and usually One other one.

steveinil

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
ok silly question maybe but how do you move them to your pc? just open in like mycomputer then downloads on sd card and move? and do you move nandroids too? or just roms or just nandroids and not roms lol

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
the ROM's i usually keep my last one and the one i am currently running.

as for backups....i have my stock backup and usually One other one.
This is me. Exactly.
ok silly question maybe but how do you move them to your pc? just open in like mycomputer then downloads on sd card and move? and do you move nandroids too? or just roms or just nandroids and not roms lol
I move both. Only ones I want to keep though. I try to back up the contents of my internal storage once a week.

I just made a new nandroid because I decided I like r143 kernel, and all of the apps I just updated seem to be good. Now I have the most up to date backup. If I flash another kernel, or change anything else major I'll make another and delete the one I just made today.

Like... I know it's laziness, but if I change a boot animation and really like it, I'll make another backup just so I don't have to change it manually in the event I need my backup, but want the most recent boot animation I used.

I know. Silliness.

I have made like ten nandroids in one day before, because I was just flashing stuff all day. It's a ridiculous obsession. Someone should smack me in my genitals with a pineapple. But no they shouldn't.

*customized tapatalk signature*

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess I live a little dangerously with only one backup and no roms on my card. But untill I get in a pickle, is what I do. This phone is so solid with backups and cwm and such I haven't felt the need to be super careful.
The charge and fascinate were wonky with this stuff, I was really careful, and kept more stuff for falling back on and moving stuff to the comp.

Oh and I do stuff like oxy and make backups after updating apps and cool mods...drag to install that stuff after a stale nandroid.