Advice for Longer Battery Life for a new GN User

yjaffrey

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I am a first time android user after having a blackberry as my first smartphone.

I currently have the Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) with AOKP Milestone 5 rom and Franco's Milestone 3 kernel.

I have looked through these forums to see what improves battery life after having miserable experiences with what my phone. Currently I get 1-2hrs of screen on time and 6-8hrs of total battery life. I have the stock battery.

Is there something I am missing about expanding the capacity of my battery? I see people posting about how they are able to get battery life of double my numbers.

Should I underclock my CPU to 800? I already have my LTE to automatically turn off when the phone is locked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
JuiceDefender Plus. & the extended 2100 mah battery. I get about 6-8 hours of usage with active usage, email, checking twitter often, and txt'ing.

Oh, and turn the display brightness down a bit.

dsuppa

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The only way to get truely good battery life out of the Nexus is sadly to not use it. ...........I will now be flamed by 100000 people saying they get great battery life.

I just keep it plugged in all day at work since I listen to gMusic all day with the occasional(at least once a day) 45 min show. If I'm on the go and don't really use the phone except for normal use, few texts, phone calls, snap a few shots I can last almost a full day.

Edit: And yes JuiceDefender is a must for me. Just make sure you turn off WiFi before sending an MMS or it wont go through.

acmoya

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the same setup and am getting 15+ hrs with1-2 hrs screen time. Mind you I have the extended battery.

Use hot plug
Dark wallpapers
Wifi when available. If not its on 4g
Auto brightness
Minimum Widgets and updating apps. I suggest wizz Widgets for updates and messages.

That's all I can think of for now. These latest milestones have been giving me great battery life

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
+1 for the oem extended battery. I got one the other day after months on the regular batt. I get 4 hours on screen time and at least a couple hours added on to the battery every charge. My local vz store still had the 50% discount promo, yours probably does too.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I am a first time android user after having a blackberry as my first smartphone.

I currently have the Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) with AOKP Milestone 5 rom and Franco's Milestone 3 kernel.

I have looked through these forums to see what improves battery life after having miserable experiences with what my phone. Currently I get 1-2hrs of screen on time and 6-8hrs of total battery life. I have the stock battery.

Is there something I am missing about expanding the capacity of my battery? I see people posting about how they are able to get battery life of double my numbers.

Should I underclock my CPU to 800? I already have my LTE to automatically turn off when the phone is locked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

There are alot of "tricks" and setup that can help improve your battery life. One of them as mentioned above is getting an extended 2100mah battery. This will help push you to the 3+ hour screen time that you see other people getting. If you watch for sales you should be able to get one of these 50% off. Just run that battery all the time if possible. These are other techniques i use for extended run times.

- Calibrate your battery! After every ROM install this needs to be done. It can be done through CWM (Clock work mod) under Advanced/Wipe battery stats, or you can download an app called "Battery Calibration". This is the way i do it because you dont need to reboot to recovery to do it. Charge to 100%, While on the charger open the app and click battery calibration and unplug. Discharge to 5% or less then recharge to 100%. Its recommended you do this once but i do it 3 times before i go back to charging all the time.
- Get on Wifi whenever possible. In the past having wifi on drained the battery more. Now wifi uses less energy then 3g/4g does. Being on wifi when possible will use less battery.
-Turn screen timeout to 15 seconds if possible, if this is too short for you then don't set it to more then 30.
-Limit your widgets! Dont have crazy widgets running at all times. I have 3 personally. (Facebook, weather, calendar) Also spread out the time they refresh. Do you need weather and facebook updated every hour? Probably not, so put it on every 4 hours and that will help.
-Screen brightness is a big one as well. I keep mine at 50%. You can opt to use auto brightness but for me personally it DIMs to much sometimes. So i keep mine at a constant 50%. If you can handle it lower then all it will do is help, but don't crank it up to 75% or 100%, its overkill and will run down the battery.
-NO live wallpapers! They kill batteries, If you can live with a static picture, do so.
-Syncing is big in some cases. I live on my email so its on immediate push in my case. Do you need emails immediately? If not turn it off push and set it to every hour or more. This will help. Go to Accounts and sync under settings and see whats syncing all the time. If theres something syncing thats not needed all the time, turn it off.
-Keeping LTE off most of the time will help, ALOT. You dont need LTE to check emails and update widgets. So if its not necessary have it off all the time. Need more data speed for a reason? Turn it on when needed. You can customize the power menu in the notification drape to show an LTE switch. Turn it off all the time and click it on when needed. (Big savings)
-Bluetooth can drain, but its not ridiculous. I leave it on all the time and its usually 2% of my usage. If you never use it, turn it off, if you do and its not a pain to turn on, leave it off when not in use.

These tips on a standard battery should get you over the 3 hour mark with a 10-12 hour standby. Maybe more, maybe less, everyones setup is different. It will be more on an extended battery.
Remember the extended battery adds little thickness to the phone, but more power. It will help. I have the same setup you do at the moment and i see 12-16 hours with 4+ hours of on screen time on an extended battery. 3+ on standard, but i rarely use it.
If all else fails and you are still having horrible life try a program called better battery stats. This will tell you whats killing your battery and you can adjust accordingly.

You have a good ROM/Kernel setup, its just a matter of tuning the phone to you specific needs.

Hope this helps, report back if you have any further issues.

Reactions: zero neck

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Custom kernels can improve battery life - most everything else can only hurt it.

Your kernel's governor can have a big impact. If you're using Franco's, try the Lazy governor (it has been good on battery for me in the past).

Reactions: zero neck

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Custom kernels can improve battery life - most everything else can only hurt it.

Your kernel's governor can have a big impact. If you're using Franco's, try the Lazy governor (it has been good on battery for me in the past).

How would you compare lazy to conservative? I am using milestone 3 with hot plug trying to save some battery life.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I dont do anything special to mine at all. I have my brightness set to about 65%, WiFi on when home, LTE on constantly, and use depends on if home and what I am doing. Right now I have 4% battery left. Total time discharging 16hrs 48min. Screen on time 3hr 14min with a phone idle of 13hr 34 min.This is the first discharge after updating to 4.0.4 yesterday.

Bobaroo

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I dont do anything special to mine at all. I have my brightness set to about 65%, WiFi on when home, LTE on constantly, and use depends on if home and what I am doing. Right now I have 4% battery left. Total time discharging 16hrs 48min. Screen on time 3hr 14min with a phone idle of 13hr 34 min.This is the first discharge after updating to 4.0.4 yesterday.

Thats pretty good.

Yesterday i kept track, LTE on wifi off for most of the day (at work), screen on auto. ~ 2hr 15 min screen time, and ~10hr 15min total time when I was around 3-4% battery. AOKP with the stock kernal set to interactive for the day. No custom voltage.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Right now after putting in a fresh battery, I am sitting at 62% after 7hrs42min and 1hr 22min of on screen time. Mostly WiFi on but some LTE when I went out for about a hour or so. Granted the LTE radio wasnt turned off when I was at home or nothing. I guess I should have pointed out too I am stock not rooted or unlocked too. Id have to say over 3hours on screen time with over 16 hrs up time is pretty good myself. Bet I could have gotten longer on screen time if I had less Idle lol.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I may have spoke too soon on the battery life. Lol. I charged it this morning at 36% to full. Its been a bit over a hour off the charger and I'm down to 87% with light web surfing and a few texts all on LTE. Guess we will see how it goes from here.

Update: Well it lasted a bit over 25hrs with a bit over 2hrs on screen time. All but that hour or so was on WiFi. Seems the radios are draining the battery pretty fast.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87