AOKP: Easy way to keep updated?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I am running AOKP Android 2.2.1 Build 3 and while I love the ROM it does get a bit tiring to have to connect my Nexus to my laptop, wipe and flash the device, and then restore everything from Titanium. This has to happen after every new build is released, which is every few weeks.

Even after restoring from Titanium I loose all personalization such as data usage tracking, maps preferences, bluetooth pairings and a bunch of other stuff has to be re-adjusted. I bought Nova Launcher Premium thinking this would leave all my customized widgets in-place on the desktop and it didn't help.

Is there a simpler way for me to update to the latest version of AOKP as seamless as a carrier over-the-air-update, without loosing all my data and personalized settings?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Normally the rule of thumb is if you stick with the same ROM from the same developer you can do a dirty flash. Its simple, just flash the new ROM right over the old in your custom recovery or Goo Manager, etc. WITHOUT wiping data.

I would still continue to make a Nandroid Backup to cover yourself in case things don't go as planned.

I do this quite often and even though the developer always says do a CLEAN install, you can get away with the dirty flash 99% of the time if staying with the same ROM and just updating to the newest release.

NOTE: When updating from AOKP built off Android 4.1.x and lower to Android 4.2.x it is recommend that you do a clean install because there has been a major file system restructuring that needs to take place.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
When I flash a new nightly, I usually wipe cache, davlik, and system. No issues for a while now. I assume that aokp and cm 10 aren't that different where you'd need to do a full wipe between nightlies

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
When I flash a new nightly, I usually wipe cache, davlik, and system. No issues for a while now. I assume that aokp and cm 10 aren't that different where you'd need to do a full wipe between nightlies

I would do the full wipe if your switching from one ROM developer to another... That is when the trouble starts changing from say CM to AOKP without a full wipe.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I would do the full wipe if your switching from one ROM developer to another... That is when the trouble starts changing from say CM to AOKP without a full wipe.

Exactly. What I meant was going from one nightly to another on same ROM.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I did not know about the GooManager app. I have installed it and upgraded to Rom Manager Premium. So now I can flash on the go and hopefully Goo Manager will keep me updated with the new AOKP releases.

I did a dirty flash to AOKP Build 5 but I did not wipe Davilk and Cache because in ROM Manager it only gives you the option to wipe BOTH Data and Cache, or Not. I didn't want to wipe my data. I wish it would give me the option to just wipe Davilk and Cache and leave data intact.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This is a useful little app and it's nice to support the AOKP dev team if you're a fan. Seems not too many people know about it. Using MBP (or TiBu), Nova (backed up home screen), Lightflow (backed up notifications), Franco (backed up kernel if using his), and this app...I can clean flash and be fully setup in just a few minutes. For what it's worth, I never used a laptop after lauch day to unlock/root my gnex and flashed hundreds of builds. Same with my current N4. Just keep one good nandroid backup. Only time I update said nandroid is if it's a new Android version. You'll only need it in a pinch, and you have a Nexus, so you can always restore the factory image in a true pinch. No need to waste space or time recreating them.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.aokp.backup&token=t4IFjrJb

amaleo

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Awesome answer! These are the kind of things and also explained in that way that all we need to know. Thanks a lot for your time! PS: I just signed up just to thank you :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch