[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

What commands did you use? What's your setup, PC Mac? Did you reflash stock images?

PC when ur in bootloader then is what i did ...

1.Open cmd

2.cd C:/

3.cd root

4.Fastboot-windows -w

thats it,

if you want before step 4 just type fastboot-windows then enter it will show you all the commands you can run. every command has to be typed after you write fastboot-windows

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

If the above doesn't work due to not having stock images Droid-Life posted how to return to stock instructions: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...the-bootloader-and-return-to-a-factory-state/

1. Download the Android 4.0.2 factory images to your PC. [Download] 2. Unzip the file and its contents into your SDK/Tools folder (wherever your adb.exe and fastboot.exe files are).

*Make sure they are not in their own folder, but have all been extracted to Tools.

3. From within your Tools folder, open a command prompt (SHIFT + right click – “open command prompt here”): 4. Type the following commands, allowing each to finish before moving onto the next:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
fastboot oem lock

5. Reboot your phone by highlighting “Start” and pressing the lock switch. 6. It really is as simple as that. Your phone is now back to a 100% stock, unrooted and locked state.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Does Odin ever get used on this phone?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm getting so angry...

Now whenever I try to get into bootloader (holding down both the volume button and the power button), the green android comes up, but under him is a message that says, "Downloading...Do not turn off target!! and the tiny red text is at the top instead of at the bottom (above the tiny white text, where I think it should be). If I proceed to press the power button from there, the phone just boots up normal.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I'm getting so angry...

Now whenever I try to get into bootloader (holding down both the volume button and the power button), the green android comes up, but under him is a message that says, "Downloading...Do not turn off target!! and the tiny red text is at the top instead of at the bottom (above the tiny white text, where I think it should be). If I proceed to press the power button from there, the phone just boots up normal.

dont press the power button lol

Reactions: greydarrah

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

download the drivers, then click on the start menu, then right click on my computer, then click on manage from the drop down list, then in the window that pops up on the left hand side click on device manager. look for something that has a yellow "!" by it and right click on it and go to properties. then in 1 of those tabs (I believe it's the first 1) click on update driver. then click browse my computer for driver software. then click "browse" and find the folder where is the drivers are located and click next. you'll probably get a message saying that windows cannot determine the source the driver you sure that you want to install it and you'll want to click yes. directions just be following prompts. that's what works for me hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thanks... will update the guide tonight regarding the drivers... That seems to be the major problem for everyone across all of the android forums... including myself. Took me almost an hour to get the right drivers working.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting so angry...

Sounds like you are holding the Vol Down + Power you need Vol Up + Vol Down + Power to get in.

Reactions: greydarrah

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

Mine was sitting at the google screen for a serious 15 minutes. I pulled the battery, booted up just fine and super user is working correctly. Installed Rom Manager and flashed Clockwork. Idk why you guys are getting boot loops. Maybe I got lucky?? Idk 15 minutes should be more than enough time to load the system images back up. To fix the soft boot wouldn't you just go to the stock recovery and delete data/factory reset?? I mean that's what I would do...

I had a similar experience. I unlocked the bootloader yesterday (using a PC), then just rooted using a Mac. Yes I know, I'm probably making things more difficult than they need to be. I was impatient at work yesterday so I used my work computer to unlock, then used my home mac today to root. Anyway...

I had the same situation as kichard in that I was stuck on the google screen for over 10 minutes. So I tried pulling the battery, and then the phone booted fine, got a message saying android was updating, then I got two messages requesting super user authority. I approved them and everything seems to be working.

Why do I have the feeling this is going to make me more dangerous? ;)

dc iz 2 legit

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys can someone verify that I'm doing things right I am about to unlock the boot loader but I have one question I just got done setting up adb and open I cmd window to test if it see my device and it did so does this mean I don't have to install the drivers and USB or should I still dl

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Ok guys can someone verify that I'm doing things right I am about to unlock the boot loader but I have one question I just got done setting up adb and open I cmd window to test if it see my device and it did so does this mean I don't have to install the drivers and USB or should I still dl

you should do them just in case . dont worry it wont hurt adb

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Ok this may b a dumb question but what is fast boot I see it in the tools folder and hear a lot about it

Fastboot is protocol used to update the flash filesystem in Android devices from a host over USB. It allows flashing of unsigned partition images

dc iz 2 legit

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So this is in case I pull the battery and soft brick? By the way thanx for your help! I'm used to htc phones and alway just had a program just do everything

Edit I'm just downloading the new drivers than superboot and than to start the process hoping without issues do u have any tips befor I start

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

OK, this:

Originally Posted by BringTheRain403 View Post
download the drivers, then click on the start menu, then right click on my computer, then click on manage from the drop down list, then in the window that pops up on the left hand side click on device manager. look for something that has a yellow "!" by it and right click on it and go to properties. then in 1 of those tabs (I believe it's the first 1) click on update driver. then click browse my computer for driver software. then click "browse" and find the folder where is the drivers are located and click next. you'll probably get a message saying that windows cannot determine the source the driver you sure that you want to install it and you'll want to click yes. directions just be following prompts. that's what works for me hope this helps.

Got me through this, although I think one of the options that actually made it work was to select anoption to view installed drivers.

Thanks for the help.

dc iz 2 legit

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok sorry again one more question when I power down and boot into bootloader and for some reason my computer won't read my device I can still boot back up like normal right?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Ok sorry again one more question when I power down and boot into bootloader and for some reason my computer won't read my device I can still boot back up like normal right?

while on that screen update the drivers manually in device manager . unplug then replug

dc iz 2 legit

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok I know I saw it some where but I have my phone in download mode connected to pc than my computer proceded to update the driver to Android 1.0 do I need to upgrade them again

Edit: says its up too date and I see no yellow ! Symbol anywere in Android devices

Edit: so I tried to see if my device was recognized and nothing came up after they installed in the bootloader wtf

Edit I heard if u install pda net drivers they work

Last edited:

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm still kinda new to rooting, and everything, but I'm curious, with the Nexus, do you lose root when the new OTAs come out? I thought I've heard that with other phones, OTAs cause the user to lose root if downloaded. But, since the Nexus is a "developer's phone", I'm wondering if Google's OTAs are set up so that the user doesn't lose root access?

dc iz 2 legit

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Alright I guess the drivers were installed all along now I'm just sitin at the google window time to wait

Edit: YEAHHH!!!! IT WAS A GREAT SUCCESS!!! I guess the big thing is having the drivers installed and not pulling the battery. Also if u put in cmd ....abd devices it will not tell you at least in my situation it didn't

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87