Warranty Voided?

Chad McRad

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

The GN will be my Christmas gift this year and well my mom purchased a warranty that was $120 or so up front on top of the price of the phone at Verizon (didnt know they had this option?) and well it apparently includes paying 50 dollars for a brand NEW phone and not a refurbished a la returned phone if it so happens to become damaged beyond my liking for the first time. (if this holds true i dont really know) BUT my main question a part from those is that if i unlock the bootloader and then root my phone is the warranty voided? mainly the warranty i am receiving..

This will be my first unlocking of a bootloader and rooting of a phone so im pretty dang curious. cause if i void that warranty my mom may kill me and then take my GN. and i cant have that happen..hah

Thanks,

Chad

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Here's how I see it. Damage like dropping it or the phone going crazy due to the manufacturer would be covered. Unlocking and flashing all kinds of fun stuff and then it breaks might not be covered. When you unlock it says this might void your warranty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I believe it does void the warranty. However, I also believe that you can "unroot" if you need to return for warranty.

jywang

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Depends on who the warranty is with... Square trade has said in the past that they will warranty software issues caused by rooting. But they wont cover hardware issues caused by rooting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
in my experience i have returned phones that were rooted even when returning with no issues. its more of a scare tactic IMO.

DarkKnight

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
when i sent my nexus s to samsung for warranty service i just locked the bootloader/reverted to stock. there have been instances where people didn't bother to lock the bootloader/unroot and samsung still repaired the phone. same with htc and the nexus one. these might have been isolated cases but it has occurred.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

The GN will be my Christmas gift this year and well my mom purchased a warranty that was $120 or so up front on top of the price of the phone at Verizon (didnt know they had this option?) and well it apparently includes paying 50 dollars for a brand NEW phone and not a refurbished a la returned phone if it so happens to become damaged beyond my liking for the first time. (if this holds true i dont really know) BUT my main question a part from those is that if i unlock the bootloader and then root my phone is the warranty voided? mainly the warranty i am receiving..

This will be my first unlocking of a bootloader and rooting of a phone so im pretty dang curious. cause if i void that warranty my mom may kill me and then take my GN. and i cant have that happen..hah

Thanks,

Chad

Corporate Verizon does not have anything like this. If you'd like an extended warranty and/or insurance, those are billed to you every month. Sounds more like she was at a Best Buy or something - possibly a non-corporate Verizon store.

If you root your phone, yes, you have knowingly and voluntarily voided your manufacturer's warranty.

Good thing is, Nexi are the easiest phones in the world to unroot and re-lock, and then there's no way to know that it was ever rooted.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well if you have to pay anything for an exchange I would just smash the phone or say you lost it if those things are covered.

I have also never returned a phone to stock before returning it and in the 3 years I have been messing around with phones I have never heard anything back about it.