Installing Jelly Bean for the n00bs

fuzzy gizmo

May 26, 2012
Visit site
While I like to think of myself as pretty tech savy, I got my first android phone recently and I just didn't know anything about android, like how to root, flash stuff, etc.

However, I got my Nexus before 4.0.4 came out and I was with the with the anxious waiting crowd. (I had a Pre 2 before this phone and I also experienced a very long wait for an update that other carriers had months previous.)

SO I took the plunge and did the whole deal. I had been looking at many guides on how to unlock and everything recently and I finally found one that seemed like the easiest. Here is the link:

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus: Video, and how-to guide | ExtremeTech

They have you download a program called WugFresh Toolkit which convenient unlocks your phone and roots it for it. You just have to follow minimal instructions. The hardest part about the whole process is getting the stupid drivers to install right.

Long story short, for all of the timid ICS users, you can do it! I was going to wait, but I couldn't after reading about all of the great things in Jelly Bean... which by the way is so smooth that I find myself just flipping between launcher pages and staring.

Just make sure you backup!

nfrisbie3

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Cool beans or should I say cool jelly beans... I can from the Per too... I had to mod the hell out of that thing just to make it usable... I switched to Android once I saw there implementation of the "cards" way of multitasking (I was iPhone as well)... anyway long story short after spending hours messing with it I found the same tool and it worked awesome for me too... then I paid for the full version of ROM manager that allows you to do it all in app... convenience for $5.99 is well worth it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

410eaglesfan

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
4 years ago I was a wiz at installing custom ROMs on my Blackberry Storm. The first time i tried rooting my Nexus it went horribly, it was way too complicated for me since its been years since I've done anything like that with a phone. Then I found the toolkit and it made everything so easy. The driver was a pain in the ass to get working but after a few hours I finally had Bugless Beast installed and I'm loving it. Glad i have the GNex, was thinking about getting a S3, but now I'm more than happy.

borochocho

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I got my GN recently. I used the wugfresh Tool kit and unlocked and rooted it. I flashed Vicious jelly bean v3. Vicious Jellybean 4.1.1 v4 was release recently and i want to flash it. I know it may sound like i know what the hell im talking about, but i dont. My question is: Do i have to flash back to stock ICS or do i simply flash the new ROM by dropping it on the root of the sd card and flash clockworkmode recover, reboot into bootloader and flash it like i did the first time?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I got my GN recently. I used the wugfresh Tool kit and unlocked and rooted it. I flashed Vicious jelly bean v3. Vicious Jellybean 4.1.1 v4 was release recently and i want to flash it. I know it may sound like i know what the hell im talking about, but i dont. My question is: Do i have to flash back to stock ICS or do i simply flash the new ROM by dropping it on the root of the sd card and flash clockworkmode recover, reboot into bootloader and flash it like i did the first time?

You don't need to go backwards to go forwards ;)

Drop the ROM on your sd card, boot into recovery as you did previously. If the developer and/or others in the forum say a dirty flash is alright... then you want to wipe cache, dalvik cache, and format /system, then flash it. You don't lose any settings/apps/data doing this. If you are unsure if a dirty flash is alright, or you run into weird issues.. assume you probably need a full wipe, which means to Wipe data/factory reset in recovery as well.

Oh and make a backup first :)