[HOW-TO] TiBu The Easy Way!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Titanium Backup (referred to henceforth as simply TiBu) is a crackflasher's best friend, and an android developer's most hated nemesis (aside from benchmark apps and screenshots of people's battery life... really guys, nobody cares about these things and you can stop posting them. I digress.). The great thing about TiBu is that it allows you to do the required full wipes you need to when flashing a new ROM, then quickly and easily restore all of your old apps and data, so you can pick up Angry Birds again and hop right back into whatever level you ended on. The bad thing, the thing developer's hate about TiBu, is that it gives you the ability to backup and restore your system data as well, meaning all of your general phone settings and account information. This is the data that needs to be wiped and stay wiped when you are flashing a new ROM. What follows is going to be a simple, short, awesome step-by-step for you on how to get the most out of TiBu without causing yourself any problems on your next ROM flash.

[WARN]You alone are responsible for what you do to your phone. Not me, not Android Central... You![/WARN]

[NOTE]It's worth mentioning that there are plenty of other backup/restore apps that do a fine job similar to TiBu. Off the top of my head there is Mybackup and Appmonster and plenty others. I happen to use TiBu, have for a very long time, and seeing as its fair to say TiBu is the most popular app for these purposes, that's what this guide is for. I'm not playing favorites, just writing what I know.[/NOTE]

[INFO]Ten Easy Steps for TiBu success:
1. Open TiBu.

2. Menu > Preferences > App processing mode > AUTO Direct (Should be this by default anyway)

3. Create your backup: Hit the Batch button to the top-right on your screen (the one with a checkmark). Hit “Backup all user apps” and click the green checkmark up top on the next screen. When getting ready for future wipes and ROM flashes, you are going to scroll down and just hit “Backup new user apps & newer app versions”, followed by “Redo backups for modified data”... This will update all those saved games and other info that has changed since the last time you backed it up. Do not backup or restore system data.
Note: While not required.. its a great idea to periodically move all of your backups to your computer for safekeeping. When connecting to your computer you will find a /TitaniumBackup directory on your internal storage. Go ahead and just copy the entire folder over to a safe spot on your computer, and update it from time to time. You never know when you that might come in handy!

4. TiBu now lets you backup and restore your call logs, SMS messages, and browser bookmarks (stock browser only).. How sweet is that?! On the main screen hit Menu > Backup data to XML and choose what you would like to backup if you please.

5. Now we're going to make an update.zip.. This is an awesome feature that gives you a file to flash after your ROM, so that when you boot up you will have TiBu already installed and ready to restore all your apps! Menu > Create "update.zip". The only thing you want to change here is under "Titanium Backup will be installed as:" Select "System application". You can change the name of the output file if you like, I just leave it as update.zip for simplicity. Hit your green checkmark up top and you are good to go.
TIP: Remember to create a new update.zip before your next ROM flash if TiBu has been updated at all since then.. which it probably has if its been a while, the developer updates things a lot!

6. Boot to recovery.. flash your ROM and Gapps (if needed). Now Mount the System, then install the TiBu update.zip we just created. Now... reboot.

7. Skip the initial device setup screen. This can be done by quickly tapping the top-left, top-right, bottom-right, and bottom-left corners of the screen in that order. Or you can just skip through everything without entering your Google account info.

8. Launch TiBu and do Batch > Restore missing apps with data. Now here's the important part.. hit Deselect all. Go through the list and manually select the apps you want to restore with data. You can do it safely for MOST user apps: games, utility apps, etc. But do NOT restore data to any Google apps, and try to avoid it for any apps which actively sync often or create accounts in your phone setup. Can you get away with some of these things sometimes? Maybe.. but just don't take the risk. Restoring any bad data you shouldn't could mean you'll have to re-wipe and start all over again. Once you're done selecting, hit the green checkmark to start the restore.

9. Now run through that last step again... This time after hitting Deselect all, hit App only. Now you can select the apps you are going to restore without data. You can do this for just about anything, including your google apps. Its the same as installing them normally.. TiBu will just do it for you in one quick batch job. Afterwards you can do a Menu > Restore data from XML and restore any the call logs and SMS data we backed up earlier as well.

10. Reboot. Go to Settings > Accounts > Add your Google account and set up your phone again. You can take it from here :)[/INFO]

Piece of cake, right? Do you have any tips or tricks you'd like to share, questions, corrections... post em up!

Credit goes to TitaniumBackup site/forums, and rootzwiki user "brainfire" for some of the tips.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
FAQ - Work In Progress - Ask me questions!

[TIP]Tip - Fun with Labels!
Assigning apps a label allows you to then filter them according to your designation. For example: You can create a label called "Data Apps" and assign it to all of the apps you like to restore with data, and have a label called "No Data Apps" for apps you want to restore without data. To enable labels:
1. Click the Backup/Restore tab, then click "Click to edit filters" toward the top-right.
2. On the bottom you create and edit your labels and assign apps under them. It's pretty self-explanatory :)
3. Now when you go to restore apps following your fresh ROM install.. first go back to the filter screen and check a box for which ones you want to restore first, say your "Data Apps", and hit the green checkmark. Go to batches and you will see only the apps you designated for that label. Just hit the checkmark and let it do its thing.
4. For the next batch, uncheck the prior filter and check the next one. Again go to the batch restore option, but remember to select apps only without data here, as TiBu won't know you wanted that on its own. Then do your restore as before.

Remember that you have the filter enabled so you'll want to disable it before you leave TiBu so next time all of your apps will show. This process can save you a lot of time from not having to manually scroll through your app list on each batch restore and select the ones you want for data or without.

Also remember going forward that new apps you install will need to be placed under a label of your choice after you've backed them up in preparation for a wipe, otherwise you won't see them when you follow this procedure.

Credit "simplerlife" for this tip![/TIP]

Last edited:

simplerlife

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I recently discovered the use of lables with Tibu. If you click on the "Backup/Restore" button and then click on the text that says "Click to edit filters". On the bottom of the Fitlers page you can create labels. I have two lables set up. One for apps that I want to restore apps and data and one for apps that I only want to restore Apps. After you have you labels set up, you select the checkbox by the label and then hit the green checkmark at the top and it will take you back to the previous page. You can now hit the batch function, but only the apps in your label that you created are affected.

As long as the Auto-Sync TB settings is enabled in preferences, the labels will be back when after you wipe and install a new rom.

This is really helpful so you don't always have to remember which apps you only want to restore the app on. You will need to remember to add news apps to the labels if any are created.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I recently discovered the use of lables with Tibu. If you click on the "Backup/Restore" button and then click on the text that says "Click to edit filters". On the bottom of the Fitlers page you can create labels. I have two lables set up. One for apps that I want to restore apps and data and one for apps that I only want to restore Apps. After you have you labels set up, you select the checkbox by the label and then hit the green checkmark at the top and it will take you back to the previous page. You can now hit the batch function, but only the apps in your label that you created are affected.

As long as the Auto-Sync TB settings is enabled in preferences, the labels will be back when after you wipe and install a new rom.

This is really helpful so you don't always have to remember which apps you only want to restore the app on. You will need to remember to add news apps to the labels if any are created.

That's actually pretty cool, thanks! Will add that later in the 2nd post as an additional tip/trick!

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I haven't used it in a while either, but this is awesome. Will definitely use labels next time.

geocurt

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Awesome 2def - thanks much! I had my first simple setup from a clean flash thanks to your help.

Serenity still sucks.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Updated the 2nd post with simplerlife's labels tip after I used it and confirmed it rocks :)

For real. simplerlife rockin the sweet tip.

I used it earlier on the tab. Accidentally deleted my previous nandroid BEFORE I made a new one, then realized what I'd done AFTER I wiped everything, lol... I'm an oxymoron :D

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: 2defmouze

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I downloaded TiBu, 5.4.2.2
So I have a few questions...
1- when I start it it tells me to go to setting-applications and tick give permission yo unknown sources. ( found it under security I think) and than opens a new "window" and says building data freshness information.
2- in the guide 1st step, Menu > preferences > App processing mode (don't see it in the list), I got several sections like General with options, Cloud sync, backup settings, and so forth.

Now I only took the free version to try and if all goes well I but y the pro, but I can not even get past step 1, lol.
Boy have things gone by me since kids, I can not keep up with technology anymore..
:)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I downloaded TiBu, 5.4.2.2
So I have a few questions...
1- when I start it it tells me to go to setting-applications and tick give permission yo unknown sources. ( found it under security I think) and than opens a new "window" and says building data freshness information.
2- in the guide 1st step, Menu > preferences > App processing mode (don't see it in the list), I got several sections like General with options, Cloud sync, backup settings, and so forth.

Now I only took the free version to try and if all goes well I but y the pro, but I can not even get past step 1, lol.
Boy have things gone by me since kids, I can not keep up with technology anymore..
:)

Like said the setting is default so don't stress that (its bottom of the list btw). Everything else is normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I made a backup folder.. but when trying to make a copy to the computer.. only the first file transfers over..

Trying to do a to TiBu media sync folder to Drop box to see if it'll work..

Any suggestions?

Also.. I'd I didn't turn on debug, and did a backup.. is that good enough or should I try again..?

Thx

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I made a backup folder.. but when trying to make a copy to the computer.. only the first file transfers over..

Trying to do a to TiBu media sync folder to Drop box to see if it'll work..

Any suggestions?

Also.. I'd I didn't turn on debug, and did a backup.. is that good enough or should I try again..?

Thx

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I've not been able to get DropBox sync to actually work.. But to be fair I haven't really tried either. When copying to the computer I just drag and drop the whole TitaniumBackup folder. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you, reboot/try again?

USB debugging you should always have enabled anyway, but no it should not have any effect on the backup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Droidintorrance

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Good news, bad news...

decided to skip, Jelly Belly 4.0 from some of the issues people are having, and flash instead, AOKP...

Working good, flashed GAaps, and we are all good... running fast and smooth...

Flashed TiBu zip, and we have Ti back up and running...

BUT

when I go to Restore Missing Apps with Data

There are NO apps, nothing populates, nothing... went into Preferences, and try to point to the Ti Back up Folder and it says not found...

There it is...!!! Why won't you read it...?

Trying to point to Drop Box next...

Not looking forward to setting up the phone, yet again...

Spent all day backing up and syncing to drop box... for NOTHING...! ahhhh!!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I think I understand using TiBu for restoring apps and data after flashing or wiping on the same phone, but can you also use it when switching phones? For example, when I upgrade can I use TiBu to reload apps and data on my new phone (different model)? Are there any additional considerations?

Thanks in advance

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Good news, bad news...

decided to skip, Jelly Belly 4.0 from some of the issues people are having, and flash instead, AOKP...

Working good, flashed GAaps, and we are all good... running fast and smooth...

Flashed TiBu zip, and we have Ti back up and running...

BUT

when I go to Restore Missing Apps with Data

There are NO apps, nothing populates, nothing... went into Preferences, and try to point to the Ti Back up Folder and it says not found...

There it is...!!! Why won't you read it...?

Trying to point to Drop Box next...

Not looking forward to setting up the phone, yet again...

Spent all day backing up and syncing to drop box... for NOTHING...! ahhhh!!

No idea why.. Did you change the name or location of the folder at all? It should be sitting at /sdcard/TitaniumBackup..

I have a question. I think I understand using TiBu for restoring apps and data after flashing or wiping on the same phone, but can you also use it when switching phones? For example, when I upgrade can I use TiBu to reload apps and data on my new phone (different model)? Are there any additional considerations?

Thanks in advance

You can in fact. I've restored backed up games and stuff from my bionic to my GNex, and from my GNex to my Nexus 7, so you can definitely do it. As with anything, it's probably wise to limit the apps you restore with data. But following my general rules I haven't had any issues between devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: jean15paul

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you need to unmount the system before you reboot? (if you decide to flash TiBu)

btw, thanks 2defmouze for this great guide!:)

pmcd1962

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Followed all the steps and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the effort.

The only thing not mentioned is when i first fired up TiBu (after flash) is a warning popped up telling me my Android ID number had changed and did i want to restore it. I flipped a coin and opted to change the ID number back.