[HOW-TO] TiBu The Easy Way!

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering abandoning TiBU for Carbon. TiBu has been (mostly) very good to me since I started rooting and flashing, but Carbon's UI is infinitely more user friendly. Also it works with non-rooted phones too, so I can backup my wife's phone.

Carbon: the way Google should be doing backup on Android | Android Central

No offense to TiBU's dev, but Koush showed how it should be done.

[video=youtube;0vs6Su2b7EA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0vs6Su2b7EA[/video]

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
A couple of questions about Carbon.

1. I tried the beta but couldn't find a way to checkmark all of the apps. I quickly abandoned it. Is there a "check all" option now?

2. Does it back up wifi passwords and login passwords like TiBu? Some of my passwords are 50 characters of gibberish and typing that in is no fun at all.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering abandoning TiBU for Carbon. TiBu has been (mostly) very good to me since I started rooting and flashing, but Carbon's UI is infinitely more user friendly. Also it works with non-rooted phones too, so I can backup my wife's phone.

Carbon: the way Google should be doing backup on Android | Android Central

No offense to TiBU's dev, but Koush showed how it should be done.

A couple of questions about Carbon.

1. I tried the beta but couldn't find a way to checkmark all of the apps. I quickly abandoned it. Is there a "check all" option now?

2. Does it back up wifi passwords and login passwords like TiBu? Some of my passwords are 50 characters of gibberish and typing that in is no fun at all.

Hi guys.. Carbon's all good, great for non-root users and good for everyone to always have more options... just kindly requesting that we keep this thread on topic with TiBu only questions/issues/etc.. by all means I welcome you to start a new thread discussing Carbon, as I haven't had a chance to look into it myself either. Thanks for understanding! :)

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok,

Here's a TiBu question...

After backup (2am) I have the batch program call the feature to back up the files to Dropbox. That almost never succeeds. I have to do it manually. And, then it almost never succeeds on first try. It takes many tries.

To get a clean backup I went to Dropbox and manually deleted my TiBu folder. Then I went into Tibu and told it to sync with Dropbox. It informed me that there was 1.2 gb to back up and started doing so. It would run for a period of time and stop. So, I'd start it up again. And, again it would run for a while and stop. Each time it would copy some files. The length of time it would run before stopping would vary. Some times it would run for 5 seconds. Other times it would run for 5 minutes. It chipped away at that 1.2 gb.

All in all, it took me 3 days to and literally dozens of "runs" to get all the data backed up. This happened on wifi, on 4G, at home, at work. It didn't matter where I was it would run/stop, run/stop, run/stop until it was all backed up. Very frustrating that it wouldn't stay connected.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Can one of you legends explain the difference between ?Backup new user apps & newer app versions?, followed by ?Redo backups for modified data?? I have both checked for scheduled backup etc, and so I am doing this but i'm not completely sure why. I did the first backup, which took a while, but then doing the second one took a matter of seconds as there were no changes. Are these two things the same?

Thank you!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The first one backs up new apps and app versions.. The second re does the data portion of your app backups in case you have used them and it needs updating... Not sure how to explain it more clearly :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
How come I dont see #2 when I go into menu> preferences?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Probably it's been moved, the UI has been updated/changed a bit since I wrote this. It should be default anyway in the paid version, as I noted. Otherwise look around for it :)

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
How come I dont see #2 when I go into menu> preferences?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
In the latest version-6.0.4, it's actually still there. Once you're in preferences, "App processing mode" is at the bottom. As the guide says, it should be set at "Auto Direct" anyway.

ohcalcutta

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
So I had to flash the stock image for 4.1.1 (wiping everything from my sd card in the process). I do have my TitaniumBackup folder backed up to my desktop, but I forgot to copy it back into sd card after flashing the stock image.

You can probably guess what I'm going to say next but.. I went ahead and flashed my update.zip without the TitaniumBackup folder in there. So how do I go about uninstalling the app (since it's installed as a system app) so I can copy the folder onto my phone first this time and start again from scratch with the update.zip?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So I had to flash the stock image for 4.1.1 (wiping everything from my sd card in the process). I do have my TitaniumBackup folder backed up to my desktop, but I forgot to copy it back into sd card after flashing the stock image.

You can probably guess what I'm going to say next but.. I went ahead and flashed my update.zip without the TitaniumBackup folder in there. So how do I go about uninstalling the app (since it's installed as a system app) so I can copy the folder onto my phone first this time and start again from scratch with the update.zip?

Just delete the apk from /system/app

Richard Harms

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I think I followed the directions to get the backup made pretty well, and I just flashed CM10 stable version to my ATT GS3. The problem I'm having with TiBu now is when I go to do the batch restore, I continually get the error that the current backup location("/storage/extSdcard/titaniumbackup") cannot be accessed. I think I did the mount system part incorrect. I'm using TWRP recovery. Any help?

Fluidetom

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Update: I finally got TiBu working again, but it was a challenge.

I did all the stuff above (deleting that com.keramidas.titaniumbackup folder, deleting the app cache and data, wiping the system cache and dalvik from recovery, uninstalling TiBu updates, and finally uninstalling TiBu and reinstalling it from the market). And even with a fresh install I was still getting that "insufficient free storage space" error whenever I tried to make a backup.

So I copied the backup folder to my computer and tried to delete it from my phone. And I got an error in ES File Explorer that the files couldn't be deleted. Then I fired up TiBu and told TiBu to delete all backups. It said that it succeded but the backup files didn't go away, and when I restarted TiBu it found them again. I tried to move the backup files to a different folder on my SD Card, but got denied again. So I just renamed the "TitaniumBackup" folder that they are in.

SUCCESS!!!!

Once there was no more "TitaniumBackup" folder. Then Titamium Backup starting working and I was able to make a new backup. I still don't know why it thought I had no free storage space; my best guess is that "TitaniumBackup" folder where the backups are stored got corrupted or something. Anyway, I have a working backup so now it's time to get flashing.

for reference I had the same issue. Only solution for me was to delete the titanimBackup folder, recreate it with a file explorer app (used the one from CyanogenMod), start tiB, go to Preferences > Backup location and select the newly created folder. Only then TiB accepted again to backup something and the message about insufficient free storage was gone.

Joan Bandy

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
My Note i717 Bphone restarted and stuck on the Samsung screen after reverting the ID. : ( Waiting to see if I can do a system boot restore now. Prior to that, it had stopped reading the SD card, so if this doesn't work, I may have a bricked phone. Very sad.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I've never used titanium backup before. I'd like to copy and restore just the reject list from my galaxy verizon S4 to my new G3. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332