Things I like about the Galaxy Nexus

anon(392846)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have an OG Droid, and I have to say that I'm liking how thin the GN will be. I don't like the physical keyboard, with as much girth as it gives to the phones. Also, the one thing this phone will have that I require in my next phone is NFC capability. This is huge for me. NFC is where things are going, and the sooner I can get on that bandwagon the better.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have an OG Droid, and I have to say that I'm liking how thin the GN will be. I don't like the physical keyboard, with as much girth as it gives to the phones. Also, the one thing this phone will have that I require in my next phone is NFC capability. This is huge for me. NFC is where things are going, and the sooner I can get on that bandwagon the better.

Nfc is nice but, not a deal-breaker for me. I'm actually a little leery of having my credit card info on my phone but, if someone is going to steal it, they may have access to that through my Google account anyway. I like NFC because it seems real futuristic but, there are risks involved as with anything else.

I wonder if there is a way to remote wipe the phone if it's stolen, like Apple has.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
14.) 4.65" Screen

Is it really? The area for the Virtual Buttons seems permanently set aside, so the visible screen space is more like 4.3". And not really HD (16:9) dimensions.

Or is there a way to hide the buttons in some sort of full-screen mode? For video, for instance?

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
How is GV more integrated into this phone? I'd like to go to it, but its still a bit of a hassle to cancel and get a new number and I guess you can't do MMS with it.
Based on what I remember specifically from the announcement (and looking over the new features for developers), this whole "visual voicemail" deal everyone likes to talk about involves connecting a voicemail message (whether on the carrier's voicemail service or on GV) to specific phone calls and marking them in the call log. So Google Voice is able to interact more deeply with ICS than with previous version of Android, in being able to mark a missed call with a voicemail.

I could be slightly wrong about that though.

Reactions: qnet

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
But will that survive carrier meddling? Specifically VZW?

How is GV more integrated into this phone? I'd like to go to it, but its still a bit of a hassle to cancel and get a new number and I guess you can't do MMS with it.

In the presentation they showed visual voicemail being used with Google voice. It's never worked with other phones because the manufactures had their own software installed.

GV is basically visual voicemail already but, this time it looks like it's part of the phone, which is a natural progression IMO.

Every Nexus phone I've had, GV was one of the core apps. you set your port forwarding to your GV number and, if you already had a GV account you just open the app and signed in.

I don't think VZW will mess with it or have anything to do with it. In a pure Android phone you can set up call forwarding through the settings. On phones that are bloated and have custom software (like Motoblur) you have to dial *71 and your google voice number to manually forward it.

It was a pain to set it up on my bionic until I figured it out. With the Galaxy nexus, I don't think this will be a porblem. We won't know for sure until we get the phone but, I don't think it will be a issue.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Based on what I remember specifically from the announcement (and looking over the new features for developers), this whole "visual voicemail" deal everyone likes to talk about involves connecting a voicemail message (whether on the carrier's voicemail service or on GV) to specific phone calls and marking them in the call log. So Google Voice is able to interact more deeply with ICS than with previous version of Android, in being able to mark a missed call with a voicemail.

I could be slightly wrong about that though.

Your not wrong, I think you explained it very well, better than I have, I didn't see your post before.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
If I use GV, will that phone number show up on outgoing calls or will my true cel number show in their caller id?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The video screen shots at the bottom do look to be fullscreen, hiding the buttons.

Cool, so HD dimensions and 4.65" when watching video, while really same as hard-key 4.3".

However I bet there will be tweaks from custom ROM or root apps that will enable users to hide the software keys (i.e Honeybar)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If I use GV, will that phone number show up on outgoing calls or will my true cel number show in their caller id?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It doesn't have to, it just depends how you set it up. If you want to just use it for voicemail, then you can select to not use GV to make outgoing calls.

After you install GV and, make a call, a window will pop up, prompting you which to use, your GV number or regular cell number. At time you will be given the chance to choose which one and, check to always use that number by default and, you won't see the window again. You can also do this through the settings.

I'm not sure how the Galaxy Nexus will be but, this is how my past Android phones have done. Once we get our phones, if anyone needs help, I'll be glad to help as I'm sure many others will also.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
In the presentation they showed visual voicemail being used with Google voice. It's never worked with other phones because the manufactures had their own software installed.

This isn't true actually. GV voice email is really really easy to set up on any Android phone. I have it on my Fascinate (VZW bloat on board) working fine. I use just the visual voice mail part of GV and I love it, and it works flawlessly.

Perhaps you meant something different though above, if so I apologize.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
This isn't true actually. GV voice email is really really easy to set up on any Android phone. I have it on my Fascinate (VZW bloat on board) working fine. I use just the visual voice mail part of GV and I love it, and it works flawlessly.

Perhaps you meant something different though above, if so I apologize.

I just meant the Visual Voicemail part, that's built into the phones software; not the email or GV itself. Like you said GV is visual itself when you open the app or when you receive emails or text when getting a message.

I've got GV to work well on all my Android phones and, even the Iphone but, the visual voicemail part was always tied to the carrier.

I think people are concerned that Verizon will try to take over the visual voicemail that seems to be built into ICS now. After thinking about it, I admit I'm concerned about this also since you can't use the VVM built into IOS on the Iphone unless you connect through VZW. ( I could be wrong because I haven't actually tried it)

I'm leaning to thinking it won't be a problem based on how they showed it working in the presentation. Like hyperdude mentioned, when you miss or ignore a call, it will show up in the call log as a visual message, no matter what you choose to use for your voicemail GV or VZW.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think VZW will mess with it or have anything to do with it. In a pure Android phone you can set up call forwarding through the settings. On phones that are bloated and have custom software (like Motoblur) you have to dial *71 and your google voice number to manually forward it.
If you add your phone to GV via the web browser on your desktop, it'll automatically perform the actions needed to forward your voicemail to GV. The process prompts you to select the carrier you are with, and it's done lickity split.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Correct. It's more of just a feature for when watching movies, but I'll take it.

question though, and we may have to wait until more reviewers have the device in hand... How do you exit out if the only buttons are gone during video playback and other full screen apps? Like, lets say I'm kicking ass in Angry Birds, but my boss walks in, how do I get out of the app? I'm pretty sure we'll be able to hide the buttons for some things, but thats why I wanted to believe the touch sensitive bezel, cause it would have been genius (or annyoing).

Lazerz

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
question though, and we may have to wait until more reviewers have the device in hand... How do you exit out if the only buttons are gone during video playback and other full screen apps? Like, lets say I'm kicking ass in Angry Birds, but my boss walks in, how do I get out of the app? I'm pretty sure we'll be able to hide the buttons for some things, but thats why I wanted to believe the touch sensitive bezel, cause it would have been genius (or annyoing).

There will be "dot" indicators where the bottons should be. I think there is video of it. Watch a few more hands-on videos and watch the lower part of the screen to see what appears when the buttons go away. Faint LED dots glow just enough to idicate where the buttons are, and if you pres them, the buttons appear again. At least, this is what was shows during the vidoes...