All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
At the risk of adding to all the metadiscussion noise... I'm surprised to see how many people think there is something strange or nefarious going on with Verizon's launch plans for the Galaxy Nexus. I just wanted to offer a tiny bit of perspective, for what it's worth. Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO inside knowledge, just some anecdotal experience and some opinions.

During the summer of 2010 I was in the throes of a major obsession with the Samsung Fascinate. (Sounds silly now, but at the time the Galaxy S was about the hottest thing around.) For about two months, I followed every leak and rumor connected with the Fascinate and visited all of the relevant forums multiple times per day looking for any scrap of information about when the phone would be available. And it was all *exactly* like what we're going through now for the Galaxy Nexus.

I remember people wondering why the Fascinate had been "delayed" (even though no date had been announced). People wondered why Verizon was being so silent about its release plans, and some speculated that they had secretly decided to cancel the phone. Some even proposed conspiracy theories suggesting that Verizon didn't care about the Fascinate because it wasn't a Droid, and therefore they didn't really want to sell any.

So none of this is unprecedented or unusual for the Galaxy Nexus. This is just the way Verizon operates. Their decision about when to release a phone has a little to do with their marketing plans, and a lot to do with when the phone is ready to sell, and when they're ready to start selling it. Verizon tests any new phone heavily, and it isn't until after they're satisfied that they set the wheels in motion for a release date. That's a big operation that involves marketing materials sent to stores, employee training, advertising, support plans, etc., and no amount of complaining or tweets from impatient Android geeks is going to affect that process in the slightest.

The notion that Verizon wants the Galaxy Nexus to fail, or doesn't really want to sell it, is just absurd. There's a significant investment involved with any phone they decide to sell -- not just the cost of the phones they buy from the manufacturer, but the cost of shipping them, warehousing them, training sales and support staff, stocking accessories and repair parts, and so on. It costs lots of money just to have a phone in their inventory. They have a duty to their shareholders to make money from that investment. If they didn't want to sell the Galaxy Nexus, they would not be offering it. Period.

So far, this experience with the Nexus has all been very familiar to me. I remember the sequence of leaks and rumors with the Fascinate. First it showed up in Cellebrite systems. (Check.) Then third-party retailers started listing it. (Check.) Then training materials showed up at Verizon stores. (Check.) Then, two weeks after that, it was released, with the announcement only two days before. I've seen nothing so far to suggest that things will be significantly different with the Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure it's all perfectly on track and on schedule.

I'm not going to tell everyone to relax, because this post probably demonstrates that I'm spending just as much time obsessing about this phone as anyone else. This is the fun part: anticipating a new toy, feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve, hunting for clues about the release like it's some kind of scavenger hunt. But I think we should all try not to make the mistake of thinking that there's more going on than meets the eye. This is just another phone working its way through Verizon's normal corporate processes, and they will release it as soon as all the pieces are in place. That really is all there is to it.

Last edited:

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen ag

Good read and very interesting. Seeing as you were once in my shoes, I have a question for you that I hope more will chime in on:
Why does Verizon launch their phones without the droid branding this way? It seems as if the phones that do not have the Droid name, do not get marketing pushes or pre-orders. Like you said, the fascinate was just announced and then sold two days later. Why do you think this is?

Edit: And if this is the process which verizon uses to launch ALL their phones, why no delay on the Iphone?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

At the risk of adding to all the metadiscussion noise... I'm surprised to see how many people think there is something strange or nefarious going on with Verizon's launch plans for the Galaxy Nexus. I just wanted to offer a tiny bit of perspective, for what it's worth. Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO inside knowledge, just some anecdotal experience and some opinions.

Last summer I was in the throes of a major obsession with the Samsung Fascinate. (Sounds silly now, but at the time the Galaxy S was about the hottest thing around.) For about two months, I followed every leak and rumor connected with the Fascinate and visited all of the relevant forums multiple times per day looking for any scrap of information about when the phone would be available. And it was all *exactly* like what we're going through now for the Galaxy Nexus.

I remember people wondering why the Fascinate had been "delayed" (even though no date had been announced). People wondered why Verizon was being so silent about its release plans, and some speculated that they had secretly decided to cancel the phone. Some even proposed conspiracy theories suggesting that Verizon didn't care about the Fascinate because it wasn't a Droid, and therefore they didn't really want to sell any.

So none of this is unprecedented or unusual for the Galaxy Nexus. This is just the way Verizon operates. Their decision about when to release a phone has a little to do with their marketing plans, and a lot to do with when the phone is ready to sell, and when they're ready to start selling it. Verizon tests any new phone heavily, and it isn't until after they're satisfied that they set the wheels in motion for a release date. That's a big operation that involves marketing materials sent to stores, employee training, advertising, support plans, etc., and no amount of complaining or tweets from impatient Android geeks is going to affect that process in the slightest.

The notion that Verizon wants the Galaxy Nexus to fail, or doesn't really want to sell it, is just absurd. There's a significant investment involved with any phone they decide to sell -- not just the cost of the phones they buy from the manufacturer, but the cost of shipping them, warehousing them, training sales and support staff, stocking accessories and repair parts, and so on. It costs lots of money just to have a phone in their inventory. They have a duty to their shareholders to make money from that investment. If they didn't want to sell the Galaxy Nexus, they would not be offering it. Period.

So far, this experience with the Nexus has all been very familiar to me. I remember the sequence of leaks and rumors with the Fascinate. First it showed up in Cellebrite systems. (Check.) Then third-party retailers started listing it. (Check.) Then training materials showed up at Verizon stores. (Check.) Then, two weeks after that, it was released, with the announcement only two days before. I've seen nothing so far to suggest that things will be significantly different with the Galaxy Nexus. I'm sure it's all perfectly on track and on schedule.

I'm not going to tell everyone to relax, because this post probably demonstrates that I'm spending just as much time obsessing about this phone as anyone else. This is the fun part: anticipating a new toy, feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve, hunting for clues about the release like it's some kind of scavenger hunt. But I think we should all try not to make the mistake of thinking that there's more going on than meets the eye. This is just another phone working its way through Verizon's normal corporate processes, and they will release it as soon as all the pieces are in place. That really is all there is to it.

Went through the very same thing. took forever to even get a release date.. I'm happy I'm not the only one realizing this.

I wish people would stop beating up Verizon.. they are running a business.. and running it much better then most of their competitors in every asset.. one of their biggest advantages is their customer service.. they havent announced a release date yet and they may very well be putting the nexus at the end of the line.. but if its the best of the 3 super phones doesnt that make sense?

We all want a release date.. I'm having serious deja vu of just not even caring when it launched.. but just wanting to be told when.. that I went through with the fascinate..

The phone will come.. hopefully sooner or later

Last edited:

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Never went through this ordeal with another phone since my first (and current) phone is the Incredible, which I only really heard of and cared about after the release. But the wait for it to ship was horrible. 23 Days...

Still, this basically sums up how I see things with this phone. Verizon is a business, which means their goal is to make money. They know that selling this phone will make them money, but I don't think they will invest quite as much money into marketing and advertising this phone as they do to the Droid line of phones. There is no way Verizon doesn't care about the phone at all. There are always plenty of phones to buy outside of the Droid line even though they aren't marketed heavily.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Also, I dont believe that people 'cant stand' verizon. I believe everyone knows (or believes) Verizon has the best network in the U.S and so they just want what they to believe to be, the best phone. So I believe its because they like Verizon so much, that they want them to make decision which would make them better (in the consumers eyes). Just my 2 cents though.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

From what I've seen, a lot of the people bellyaching have already upped their agreement with Verizon. They've been sitting on their upgrade and they're impatient because they've been waiting for this phone to come out since late summer when the GS2 was announced to not be coming to VZW in favor of the Nexus.

Amongst the voices of calm are a lot of people who just got a Charge, Bionic, or Thunderbolt this year

Yes, it's easier to be patient if your current phone is working correctly. I have a phone with a broken power button and have been sitting on an upgrade since July.

Some people are a little too impatient. Everyone should relax. Although, this is the second thread in a week with a long winded tale about the process... yadda, yadda, yadda...

So people are either complaining about the wait or complaining about people complaining about the wait. Everyone deals with this stuff different.

Reactions: FishPharm

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Why does Verizon launch their phones without the droid branding this way? It seems as if the phones that do not have the Droid name, do not get marketing pushes or pre-orders. Like you said, the fascinate was just announced and then sold two days later. Why do you think this is?

I doubt if the Droid branding makes as much difference as people seem to think. The Droid 2 wasn't announced until two days before its release. (There were leaks and rumors, but Verizon did not even admit that it *existed* until it was in stores and ready to sell.) I don't remember seeing a big marketing push for the Droid 2, the Droid 3, or the Droid Pro. The Thunderbolt, on the other hand, got major advertising and marketing, and it's *not* a Droid. Heck, I've seen more marketing for the HTC Rhyme than for some of the Droids. Basically, it's different for every phone, whether it's a Droid or not.

I don't pretend to understand the logic behind which phones get the Droid brand and which don't, but I doubt it has much to do with how much of a marketing push Verizon intends. It probably has more to do with the perceived target market: Droid phones are aimed at power users, whereas (for whatever reason) something like the Fascinate is treated like a sort of high-end feature phone. (Hence the Bing thing.)

It probably also has to do with whatever agreements are in place with manufacturers, who might have their own wishes where branding is concerned. I always suspected that the only reason the Fascinate wasn't a Droid was because Samsung is big on their Galaxy brand, and they didn't want that submerged under the Droid brand. (We're seeing that again now -- I'm sure that's why this phone is the Galaxy Nexus and not the Nexus Galaxy. Samsung wants top billing.)

Verizon has a huge lineup of phones, and their marketing people probably realize that that can be confusing. So they wisely choose to feature just a few in each marketing campaign, which makes it seem like the others are neglected. But I don't think it has anything to do with which ones are Droids, or which ones they want to sell more than others. It's just to get you in the store.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

From what I've seen, a lot of the people bellyaching have already upped their agreement with Verizon. They've been sitting on their upgrade and they're impatient because they've been waiting for this phone to come out since late summer when the GS2 was announced to not be coming to VZW in favor of the Nexus.

Amongst the voices of calm are a lot of people who just got a Charge, Bionic, or Thunderbolt this year

This is a fair comment. My wait for the Fascinate was excruciating because I was still living with an old Samsung BlackJack, and I was desperate to upgrade. It's different now because I was fully prepared to keep my Fascinate for the full two years, and it was a surprise to me when I was told I was eligible for an early upgrade. So I'm excited to get the Galaxy Nexus, but my Fascinate is still working just fine, and I'm in no real hurry. But I sympathize for those who are counting the days. I've been there!

kharrigan

Now using God's Phone
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Last summer I was in the throes of a major obsession with the Samsung Fascinate. (Sounds silly now, but at the time the Galaxy S was about the hottest thing around.) For about two months, I followed every leak and rumor connected with the Fascinate and visited all of the relevant forums multiple times per day looking for any scrap of information about when the phone would be available. And it was all *exactly* like what we're going through now for the Galaxy Nexus.
This is hitting a little too close for comfort...

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I am perfectly fine waiting, and I have a Droid X. I would like a new phone, but I do not need a new phone nor do I feel that I am entitled to the Galaxy Nexus or any immediate information pertaining to it.

After all, my phone still works. I will live if I must wait a bit longer. The world will go on.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

but we all remeber what happened with the N1, and if half the rumors are to be belived, they had the actual devices ready to go, and still dropped it, likeley due to the fact that they knew the incredible was very similar.
i know this is not going to be canceled like the n1, but its hard to not feel a little bit of paranoia after spending months clinging to any shred of information about the N1, only to have it taken away at the last minute.

another funny thing about the droid name, verizon really likes it, but they are also totally random about using it. In fact, I was in a verizon corprate store about 6 months ago, and they had the facinate labled as 'droid facinate' I was beyond confused by this.

This is a fair comment. My wait for the Fascinate was excruciating because I was still living with an old Samsung BlackJack, and I was desperate to upgrade. It's different now because I was fully prepared to keep my Fascinate for the full two years, and it was a surprise to me when I was told I was eligible for an early upgrade. So I'm excited to get the Galaxy Nexus, but my Fascinate is still working just fine, and I'm in no real hurry. But I sympathize for those who are counting the days. I've been there!

See, I was originally planning to keep my incredible for full 2 years, but when i switched to a family plan I was told I'd get an upgrade every year. I naturally expected to get an upgrade back in april (one year after getting my inc) and went for the revolution, only to find that the yearly upgrade cycle started when we got the family plan. So while i was disappointed then, and had grown ansy for an upgrade, but in the end i'm glad it worked out this way, because i'm getting a MUCH better phone.

Last edited:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Very good points by the OP. I don't actually need a phone. I have a Iphone 4 and it works fine for everything I want to do. I got spoiled with the big screen of the Bionic and, I that's part of the reason I'm anxious about this phone. ICS is another big reason I'm anxious and, my experience with my previous Nexus phones.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I also had the Bionic (briefly), and was spoiled by the screen size when going back to the OG. Currently using a Droid X I got from eBay, and am very content with it while I wait for the Galaxy Nexus.

I'll be passing this on to my fianc?e when I get the Nexus, and am looking forward to loading ICS on it for her whenever the dev community makes it available. Running Sensei Mod at the moment, which she likes, so I'm good for now. I know she'll be itching for some ICS once she plays with my Nexus though.

*customized tapatalk signature*

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

The exact same thing happened with the Thunderbolt.

I remember perusing through the TB forum at launch. Yea it was a mess. Samsung John was stirring up all kinds of stuff. There was a guy Ben something or other who claimed he had some inside info and hands on with the TB.....That thread went viral. 3000+ posts in a couple days as I recall.

The Charge launch was similar. They actually "officially" launched it on a thursday in May, then it got delayed almost 2 weeks for a 4g activation issue. Those 2 weeks were agony. Conspiracy theories were flying.

But in the end the phone gets here and its all good....till we start finding bugs. The charge has its fair share of em.

So, yea +1 with all the points the op is making here...this stuff has happened before.

Ready for the Nexus. Totally don't mind the wait...it'll get here when it gets here.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I don't actually need a phone. I have a Iphone 4

Not following...

I doubt if the Droid branding makes as much difference as people seem to think. The Droid 2 wasn't announced until two days before its release. (There were leaks and rumors, but Verizon did not even admit that it *existed* until it was in stores and ready to sell.) I don't remember seeing a big marketing push for the Droid 2, the Droid 3, or the Droid Pro. The Thunderbolt, on the other hand, got major advertising and marketing, and it's *not* a Droid. Heck, I've seen more marketing for the HTC Rhyme than for some of the Droids. Basically, it's different for every phone, whether it's a Droid or not.

And the reason most people say that Verizon cares so much about Droid phones is that it's an easier way to market a phone to the masses. I'm sure you have seen the commercials of weird robots doing nothing phone related telling you to buy the next Droid phone (like the Razr commercial where it flies around cutting through stuff). Verizon pays LucasArts to use the Droid name, so they obviously care about the brand name a lot. I can't tell you how many people say they just bought a "Droid" when they have a lower end Android phone on AT&T or something. I'm not saying that all Droids are marketed heavily, such as the D2, D3, DPro, etc. but I see Verizon ads less often for their non-droid phones. Also I think that more of the non-droid advertising such as the HTC Rhyme is done by the manufacturer.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I can't tell you how many people say they just bought a "Droid" when they have a lower end Android phone on AT&T or something.

omg, I know! i'm starting to think that the droid advertising worked out better for android as a whole than it did for Verizon. so many (as phil puts it) civilians in correctly refer to their phones as droids, and i explain that verizon only uses it for their favorite devices because they pay so much to use the name.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87