Time to Rent. Rezound vs. RAZR

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Nemov.....what did you end up going with and how do you like it? Any chance you stick with it when the GN comes out?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet for one of the reason raised above. If the phone gets damaged I'm stuck with it. I wouldn't be surprised at this point for further delays. Using a phone for 3 weeks makes me nervous.

mykenyc

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I love my Razr :), i think most people don't like the width of the phone, the bezel area and i can agree. I love the water resistant perks, i actually like the width on it because when i type it feels good in my hand, also the gel case adds depth to the phone. Love the way the glass is flushed into the bezel, not like a previous devices i owned ::cough:: Dinc 2 ::cough::

altimax98

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't pulled the trigger yet for one of the reason raised above. If the phone gets damaged I'm stuck with it. I wouldn't be surprised at this point for further delays. Using a phone for 3 weeks makes me nervous.

Lol.. sorry.

But I couldn't imagine being struck with a device for 2 years that I hate for 2 weeks or so of happierness lol

dchawk82

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I just rented the Razr. Everything is fine, just a big change from HTC to Moto. It's fast and incredibly light (I knew it would be light, but I wasn't expecting this). At first I thought it felt "cheap," but the more I hold it and mess with it, I think it's just the weight playing games with my head. Overall, I enjoy it, but it won't keep me from getting the Nexus when it's released. I do have a question though. When the Nexus is released, I'll return the Razr, will my upgrade be available immediately or will it take a day or two to go through? I'll be kicking myself if it isn't immediate.

mykenyc

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
You know what i do wish though, Motorola would get rid of this horrid skin on the razr and i don't mean really blur, but the colors are horrid.

Somethingsfishy

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
How much do you think the phone costs to manufacture?

MAYBE 50 dollars, I'd be stunned if it was that much.

I'd estimate that they get them from Moto, HTC, and Samsung for less than 100 a pop.

Even with preowned, they make a killing.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd consider going the rental route, but my fear is I'll enjoy the switch so much I'll not worry about the Nexus anymore. Being my first Android phone, everything is going to be a giant step forward.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site

I'd estimate that they get them from Moto, HTC, and Samsung for less than 100 a pop.

How much do you think it costs to develop and engineer one of these phones???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Are you serious? Do a google search and see the average high end smart phone costs around 200 to produce+ shipping and labor. Verizon gets them for same price you and I pay full retail. They make money back off of the plans. How much does it cost Apple to make the iPhone 4? How MUCH Does it actually COST to PRODUCE your Smartphone? | NO BUNS NO LIFE

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm possibly going to rent the Rezound today until the GN is out. The fact that the Rezound does not have NFC is the reason I know I'll still make the switch once the GN hits.

The Rezound feels really good in the hand. I too was worried about the thickness, but it pockets just fine. The screen is amazing, highest ppi of ANY phone out, and I've been seeing positive posts about battery life.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have no desire to rent a phone, i just need one because my Droid 2 is on its last leg. C'mon release the Nexus!!!

dchawk82

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
After a few days with the Razr, I have to report that it's nothing special. I even went back to Verizon to pick something up and the salesman asked what I thought, after I told him it was nice but wasn't anything mind blowing he just laughed and said, "I know." There's absolutely nothing wrong with the phone, it just doesn't do anything for me.

whartpence

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I was debating about renting a phone since my current phone was having many issues including the latest which is difficulty making and receiving calls. I didn't want to keep dealing with it until December 8th or whenever the GN is released. Then I checked my account since I have four lines on it. My upgrade has been available for few weeks and my mother's line has an upgrade on Nov 27th. She always prefers to keep the phone she has rather then have to learn how to use a new phone. I usually have to drag her there to get a new one. So I went ahead and used my upgrade to get a DINC 2 (small-ish, cheap, and most importantly it's a world phone). I asked the salesman if I can use one of my dumb phone upgrades to get the Nexus and he said yes so I will use my mother's upgrade for that. The thing that I wanted most that the GN doesn't have is world phone capability for my work trips so now I can switch back to the DINC 2 before each trip.

As for my mother's upgrade, if her phone breaks I can buy her a replacement for $200 max since she always gets low-end phones.

I don't know how many of you guys can get away with something like this, but check your account for when your upgrades are if you have family plans that don't include a smartphone on every line.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
They really don't make any money off renting when have to resell it at refurbished price. I will be renting the Rezound because I prefer Sense to Blur and I'm curious to see if Beats makes a noticeable difference. Plus if I need to break a window the Rezound seems like it would do the trick.

Moto did away with blur on the razr. There is still a skin but its very light.

Motorola Razr Android smartphone • reghardware

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
After a few days with the Razr, I have to report that it's nothing special. I even went back to Verizon to pick something up and the salesman asked what I thought, after I told him it was nice but wasn't anything mind blowing he just laughed and said, "I know." There's absolutely nothing wrong with the phone, it just doesn't do anything for me.

That's one of the main reasons I didn't even bother. When I went into one of my local Verizon Wireless Store, I played with the RAZR for a bit. In my opinion there wasn't much of any difference between it and my Bionic. It also seems that Motorola and Verizon, haven't fixed some of the problems that Bionic owners first started experiencing with the 4G/3G switch.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The problem with getting another phone now and then getting the GN when it comes out is that once you have the GN you are stuck with it. I've been reading about the various issues on this phone and I'm not absolutely convinved that it is the perfect phone for my needs (notice I said "my needs").

I will get it when it is finally released and give it a try. If I don't like it then I can always move to another device. I don't want to use up that option in advance without at least a hands on with the GN. Also, I'm not keen on the idea of carrying around another phone as a "rental". If I were to drop, scratch or do some damage then I'm stuck with the phone. It just doesn't seem a like a rational way to go while waiting for the GN. Too many downsides and no real upsides other than letting personal narsicism feed some instant gratification.

JRZLocal

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the rezound as a replacement to my thunderbolt and couldn't be happier. The battery is improved, the screen is honestly better than my iPhone and the beats audio which I thought would be a gimmick sounds significantly better than my thunderbolt did. I really noticed the improvement in sound quality when using it with my fm transmitter in the car. I looked at the razr but it just felt strange in my hand, almost too thin. I think I'll still get the nexus when it comes out and give my iPhone to my gf.

Reactions: Droid800

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
One thing you all may want to check out with the extended return policy since everyone does this around the Holiday is that, is it for a device that was NOT used/activated? They usually extend the policy for new devices that were never activated in hopes people will purchase phones as gifts.

If you activate the phone, it may (again I say MAY since i am not sure and that is why I am saying to double check) still fall under the 14 day window. Also you will only have ONE exchange to another device. If you pick up the Rezound or Razr then return it for the Nexus then realize that for whatever reason you do not like the Nexus and want to go back, you will not be able to, they will only exchange the Nexus for another Nexus is there is a problem.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The problem with getting another phone now and then getting the GN when it comes out is that once you have the GN you are stuck with it. I've been reading about the various issues on this phone and I'm not absolutely convinved that it is the perfect phone for my needs (notice I said "my needs").

I will get it when it is finally released and give it a try. If I don't like it then I can always move to another device. I don't want to use up that option in advance without at least a hands on with the GN. Also, I'm not keen on the idea of carrying around another phone as a "rental". If I were to drop, scratch or do some damage then I'm stuck with the phone. It just doesn't seem a like a rational way to go while waiting for the GN. Too many downsides and no real upsides other than letting personal narsicism feed some instant gratification.

I have posted this on another "rent" thread out there. 2 reasons why I'm not "renting" a phone. Besides the fact that I think it is just wrong to do when you have no intention of keeping the phone.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Also to the OG, if you call Verizon about your phone they will usually send out a "Certified Like New" device to you and have you send the old one back/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non