Galaxy Nexus Updated to Version 4.1

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
P3Droid mentions in that link: Improved performance with updated radios and a new screensaver.

KEWL STORY

December 8th can't come quick enough!

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
So a .1 change in version number means a name change ala eclair, froyo and gingerbread?

Sent from my SCH-I510

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
2.0 and 2.1 were both eclair and 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 were all honeycomb, so no this does not mean a new name.

True 2.0 and 2.1 were eclair, but 2.2 was froyo and 2.3 was gingerbread. And there are some highly respected members of the community who are doubting the 4.1. Seems kind of odd to go 4.0.1, 4.0.2, then 4.1. Especially when these respected members know people who have test phones and those show 4.0.2. I'm just saying.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
There are noticeable software changes if someone were to look hard enough. Android bug fixing would be going from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. You have always been able to find differences in functionality with version changes like this.

Honeycomb was the same way. Very notable differences from 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2, minor bug fixing was 3.0.1 to 3.0.2....

Reactions: gshock413

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
By no means am I privy to googles naming schemes, they may stay with ics for the whole 4 series of the os. I've heard the name jellybean tossed around. Where do you guys think that would come in to play? 4.2? 5.0?

Sent from my SCH-I510

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
By no means am I privy to googles naming schemes, they may stay with ics for the whole 4 series of the os. I've heard the name jellybean tossed around. Where do you guys think that would come in to play? 4.2? 5.0?

Sent from my SCH-I510

Starting with Honeycomb they started keeping the initial version the name. Ie 3.0 3.1 3.2 are all HC. They will do the same with ICS. There is no way they would talk up ICS like they did and never release it....OR fragment versions across manufactures ie Motorola razr gets ICS but the nexus gets jelly bean...that's going against everything they are trying to avoid...

Reactions: EggoEspada

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There are noticeable software changes if someone were to look hard enough. Android bug fixing would be going from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. You have always been able to find differences in functionality with version changes like this.

Honeycomb was the same way. Very notable differences from 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2, minor bug fixing was 3.0.1 to 3.0.2....

At least someone around here understands software version numbers.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

Starting with Honeycomb they started keeping the initial version the name. Ie 3.0 3.1 3.2 are all HC. They will do the same with ICS. There is no way they would talk up ICS like they did and never release it....OR fragment versions across manufactures ie Motorola razr gets ICS but the nexus gets jelly bean...that's going against everything they are trying to avoid...

They might not have named the Honeycomb versions because of how it was fragmented from the phone OS. But now they're one again.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my SCH-I510

I think it would make sense to go from 4.x.x to 5.x.x, If they only go up .1 like from froyo to gb some may think of it as only a minor upgrade. Who knows though.

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
they're just version numbers, the developers can call them whatever they want. There is no real standard for it

Now someone really understands version numbers. There are generally accepted conventions such as
x.y.z where x is major revision, y is substantial functional changes, and z is minor enhancements fixes. However, each organization handles version enumeration differently.

With that being said, it is important for companies like Google to establish standards for versions so that phone and app developers can interpret and understand them more simply.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
My post from a different thread:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is a major part of getting this phone ready for release. Only the people that are part the VZW testing program know for sure.

I am a member of the test team for a Satellite TV provider and we download new software each week. We submit reports via our receivers (through a broadband connection) when we find issues. Fixes are implemented each week until the software is deemed suitable for general release. Sometimes the process just takes awhile.

My guess is that an issue was identified with the radio which made the phone unsuitable for release. Probably among other things that needed to be tweaked. The fact that VZW is being super cautious regarding the release of this phone is no surprise. They know that the early adopters of the GN will be techies who will push this phone to it's limits. Although some refuse to give VZW any credit for anything and would rather throw internet tantrums than use logic and reason, I am happy that VZW is taking it's time to ensure that this phone is ready for release.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38