It appears that Google just learned the same lesson Apple did

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Didn't apple go to Verizon first with the original iPhone, and vz was like nope.exe so apple was pretty much forced to go to at&t. Also, didn't apple want to escape that sooner because of at&T's sh*ty network?
Also, the original iPhone didn't have apps, so I would assume it lacked YouTube, though I could be wrong.

rainman353

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Didn't apple go to Verizon first with the original iPhone, and vz was like nope.exe so apple was pretty much forced to go to at&t. Also, didn't apple want to escape that sooner because of at&T's sh*ty network?
Also, the original iPhone didn't have apps, so I would assume it lacked YouTube, though I could be wrong.

Nope youtube was built in but didn't have flash support and that was before html5 was so prominent. It didn't even have itunes store but it had a youtube at launch.

anon(7454)

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I may have recently looked at a Verizon Galaxy Nexus today and it had 4.0.2. Last week it had 4.0.1.

It appears as though 4.1 may be something else. Who knows, but so far it's 4.0.2.

Good call, didn't think of it that way.

1.5 - Cupcake
1.6 - Donut
2.1 - Eclair
2.2 - Froyo
2.3 - Gingerbread

Up until honeycomb the increase from 4.0 to 4.1 would usually indicated a new version of Android

lfeuln

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
While I agree Apple has mostly had their way over the years, you can't say they paid no price for the exclusivity agreement. Imagine if they'd been able to launch on Verizon even a year earlier, within 6 months of the original Moto Droid. Would Android be near as big today in the US? I suspect not...

Last edited:

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the 1.0 iPhone? That wasn't even a 3G device so a WiFi only YouTube was probably just as much for customer expierence then anything else. I could be wrong though.

Yes, I was. It was later changed after most people complained. AT&T didn't want their already slow network being bogged down.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Apple and Google are just buying time until they have their own networks. Eventually Google will have their own data network running google voice. Apple will roughly do the same.

Sorry but that's far fetched. Steve Jobs already wanted to and tried to do that before the original iPhone came out but he realized it would be too costly, too difficult, and not practical. As awesome as Google is, I don't see them envisioning this either.

taylorbb

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Apple went to Verizon first because Verizon had best customer service ratings, like apple. Verizon wanted control over where the phone was sold and they wanted to control the software. Apple said no and was stuck wiht AT&T who basically let Apple remain in full control over every aspect from software to sales. Only reason Apple came back to Verizon was because sales had dried up with AT&T and they needed to sell more new contracts. If Verizon was smart they would have made Apple drop AT&T when they formed the deal so they could actually make money off the phone. But as we can see verizon doesn't seem to be in the business of being smart lately with the way it launches new phones.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I may have recently looked at a Verizon Galaxy Nexus today and it had 4.0.2. Last week it had 4.0.1.

It appears as though 4.1 may be something else. Who knows, but so far it's 4.0.2.

Google swapped to not giving new names except on X.0 changes. 4.X changes are still ICS, this changed in Honeycomb and Google vowing only two iterations per year instead of a month like before.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
well, that's why i put MAYBE in my post to cover my bases. And ive heard about bugs. BMX said VZ apps weren't playing nice with ICs, the volume bug is also noted.

Volume bug is not really an issue in the US, though, since it only happens when you get a strong 900 Mhz signal close to the phone. Only thing rocking that frequency on this side of the pond are some old cordless phones.

5. i wish Google would buy Sprint and use it as a foundation to build their own Google network on and thus combined with Motorola have a true pure Google end-to-end offering.

As much as I like this idea, I don't think the DOJ would ever allow it to happen. They'd be too afraid that the resulting Sproogelola company would have too much ability to engage in "anti-competitive practices".

Last edited:

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I doubt Apple rolls over for Verizon. When Apple has an announcement release date and price are included....none of this dickin around.

Keep in mind that Apple does in fact have these same issues, everyone's gotta work together. Its just that Apple keeps all info about new devices under extremely tight wraps. Android phones aren't like this, because they involve a number of different companies, rather than just one, and there are quite a few devices released and in development, again rather than just one. With an iPhone, Apple handles all development, manufacturing contracts, software, and most of the marketing, and keeps very tight reins on what's in development so people don't just wait for the new model, considering they're already working on the new model before each new release.

Apple has the ability to bargain more with other carriers, especially ATT, because they consider it a flagship device, and it accounts for alot of new contracts. The GSM carriers already have compatible networks, and Sprint is too small and just feeling lucky they even get one. There's also the fact that Apple could threaten to launch them off-contract ahead of carrier schedule in their Apple stores, which other manufacturers can't do. But ultimately, its just that Apple keeps this stuff completely quiet, and has only one device to focus on, so it works out.

Of course Google has to work on Verizon's time too, but you'll notice that Android phones tend to have a flagship status with Verizon because they do put up with their crap a bit more. Verizon is more lenient with Apple, but when's the last time you even saw an iPhone commercial that Verizon paid for? Verizon has made it quite clear time and again that they don't really have loyalty to a particular kind of device, they just handle the network and focus on activations. Whichever devices allow them to best showcase their network, support their services, and drive the most activations get the most attention, and that's why Android is #1 with them.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
As much as I like this idea, I don't think the DOJ would ever allow it to happen. They'd be too afraid that the resulting Sproogelola company would have too much ability to engage in "anti-competitive practices".

why? they have would have no monopoly on anything. plenty of competitors in every area.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non