Google still hasnt fixed this problem..

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Google is always going to have something wrong with its OS till something drastic happens.. and from how android is an open OS.. I dont think it will ever be fixed.

The Galaxy Nexus is going to usher in a new wave of fragmentation.. a problem thats already evident on Android.. but seriously.. google is doing a promotion on the amazon market.. and thanks a bunch for the heads up AC.. but I downloaded a half dozen of the apps for sale and almost all of them are glitchy in ICS..

Are we suppose to expect developers to rush around and get everything patched up for ICS? and ignore whatever they are doing for other revs? Are we suppose to just wait around with a brand new phone for months until its actually usable by the majority of apps.. dont get me wrong.. plenty of apps work.. but even the ones that work seem glitchy and you cant deny the fact this isnt ideal.. this fragmentation is horrible.

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Google is always going to have something wrong with its OS till something drastic happens.. and from how android is an open OS.. I dont think it will ever be fixed.

The Galaxy Nexus is going to usher in a new wave of fragmentation.. a problem thats already evident on Android.. but seriously.. google is doing a promotion on the amazon market.. and thanks a bunch for the heads up AC.. but I downloaded a half dozen of the apps for sale and almost all of them are glitchy in ICS..

Are we suppose to expect developers to rush around and get everything patched up for ICS? and ignore whatever they are doing for other revs? Are we suppose to just wait around with a brand new phone for months until its actually usable by the majority of apps.. dont get me wrong.. plenty of apps work.. but even the ones that work seem glitchy and you cant deny the fact this isnt ideal.. this fragmentation is horrible.
This will happen with just about any operating system update (except for iOS which almost never changes...). Developers do have the responsibility to keep their apps working for their users. App developers not getting their apps up to date is not Google's fault, just like how apps released in the market that are broken aren't their fault.

If there are apps you use that are broken in ICS, tell the developer. They can at least use the emulator to make sure it's compatible with Ice Cream Sandwich. That's a minimum for app developers.

Plus you're running a custom ROM, so some apps are incompatible with certain combinations of hardware and software regardless.

Reactions: qnet and Premium1

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
What apps are glitchy for you? I've only had 1 app not be completely functional (Facebook), but every other Android app is running perfectly fine on the GNex.

Huhsh

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You will have this same problem on any os that supports multi vendor hardware. And by os I don't just mean phones. If you have a closed source of hardware (Apple) it's very easy to test those few devices for compatibility. But that's not what android is. This same problem exists for Windows, Linux, etc.

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you positive that it's not the ICS ROM on the Fassy that's the issue? Is the ICS ROM you're running unconditionally stable with that phone?

Sometimes I've seen software behave in strange ways on devices other than phones, that I've personally coded and tested reliably. Usually, it's due to drivers and/or hardware anamolies on certain hardware that causes instability and malfunction.

You might want to reserve judgement until the Nexus comes out, I would recommend. Not saying that ICS runs great on the Fassy, but still...

Edit: LOL, in the time it took me to type this, three other replies stated basically the same thing... doh.... :)

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So, you realize ICS isn't actually even available in the US right? And that you're running a unofficial ROM?

a large percentage of the forum users on here run unofficial roms..

believe me.. id be happy to know that my problems are ROM related.. but I doubt it.

JoeUserTx:

I havent had one lockup, or any issue.. been running it for over a week as my daily phone.. does everything. I havent had problems with alot of my apps.. But I am not denying this could be Custom ROM related.. Its just its running great for me and Ive seen people in the international galaxy nexus forum complaining about the same issue..

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What apps are glitchy for you? I've only had 1 app not be completely functional (Facebook), but every other Android app is running perfectly fine on the GNex.

he isn't using a g-nex. he's using an ICS ROM. which as, most of us know, ROMS always have issues that get ironed out with each revision that is released. so a fascinate running an early build of an ICS ROM having issues shouldn't be surprising to him.

all of the apps that have enough of a following, and that are popular enough, will get ICS updates and have compatibility issues taken care of (just like how audiomanager did very early on).

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

believe me.. id be happy to know that my problems are ROM related.. but I doubt it.

if they aren't ROM related, then just wait it out and be patient. ICS has barely been available for a couple of months. give developers a chance to update their apps and in due time they will.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I've had plenty of app problems due to iOS upgrades too. This isn't a result of being open/closed, it's a result of being an OS that receives updates and allows third-party apps.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
he isn't using a g-nex. he's using an ICS ROM. which as, most of us know, ROMS always have issues that get ironed out with each revision that is released. so a fascinate running an early build of an ICS ROM having issues shouldn't be surprising to him.
Yeah I know. My point being that I have a production phone running an official build of ICS and I don't have any app issues to talk about.

ROMs are a lot of fun but a world of pain too. It's great that you can get bleeding edge builds, but right now people building ROMs are rushing just to get an ICS build out there. Good software takes a while, which is also why you don't see the CM folks releasing anything. It's done when it's done.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
my point isnt my personal issue.. my point is this is a clusterF of a way to do things.. its the way google set it up and it might of helped them gain their foothold but its limiting the OS as a whole.

If Android was like IOS.. and had no custom UI's from the hardware vendors.. about 25 different phones could be updated to stock ICS this month and all of the developers would know exactly where to focus there energy.

This isnt a new issue.. I'm just pointing out its sad to see with the new flagship google phone arriving and another OS build.. that we are no closer to ever fixing this problem.. that will never go away.. and will always limit Android.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
my point isnt my personal issue.. my point is this is a clusterF of a way to do things.. its the way google set it up and it might of helped them gain their foothold but its limiting the OS as a whole.

If Android was like IOS.. and had no custom UI's from the hardware vendors.. about 25 different phones could be updated to stock ICS this month and all of the developers would know exactly where to focus there energy.

This isnt a new issue.. I'm just pointing out its sad to see with the new flagship google phone arriving and another OS build.. that we are no closer to ever fixing this problem.. that will never go away.. and will always limit Android.

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site

So Google is responsible for the issues that you are having with app compatibility with your custom ROM?

You are starting to sound like a troll...

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Plus there are so many apps there is no way in hell Google can test for complete compatibility. It's up to the users and devs.

I

thedeceiver

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it limits Android. How many customers care if they are running Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich? Right now, not very many. In the future, I agree I think more customers will be focused on what new stuff Android has coming out.

But right now, the skins that the Phone manufacturers put out help glaze over some very negative UI aspects. ICS starts to change that. A good, solid UI was built into the OS instead of relying on someone else to come up with something that an end user would want to use.

One of the benefits of Android is the choice... you can choose Blur, Sense, Nothing, TouchWiz. Apple, you get iOS and that's it. Yeah, you get the latest features all at once but if you don't like how it looks or works... then you're stuck.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Its your rom, not google. Watch ESPN doesn't work on my cm7 from... is that google or espn's fault?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So Google is responsible for the issues that you are having with app compatibility with your custom ROM?

You are starting to sound like a troll...

try using some comprehension.. not even sure why im bothering to reply to such a bad post.

ihyln

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow this is like using Windows 8 and complaining that apps aren't working properly. OP needs to step back into reality.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

e
Fragging is the hazard in androids OS. Let's cool the jets on the fragmentation drama w/ ICS. There's no sense in jumping the gun and getting paranoid before the release the GN. I don't think you can seriously start a debate at this point, based solely on a single rom, alone, cuz we have no idea how big the issue is/isn't until ICS gets official in our hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s