Unlocking bootloader voids warranty

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and for clarification, the act of unlocking it does NOT void the warranty in and of itself. Its when you start doing things WITH that unlocked device that you may void it.

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
My store and I am sure many others do not give a crap at all, I had my Droid X boot into CWR sitting on the desk of the VZW store since I had an issue with it. He said oh what this, you rooted it? I am like I dont know what that is, he laughed and said its fine no one here cares lol.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Can you re-lock it though? I had a Nexus One way back when and it showed the lock/unlock on one of the boot screens to show if the bootloader had been unlocked. At that time, it was a one way process. I haven't kept up with Android development, so is that still the case?

fastboot oem unlock <-- To unlock the bootloader.
fastboot oem lock <-- To lock the bootloader.

deadlyv2

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
My store and I am sure many others do not give a crap at all, I had my Droid X boot into CWR sitting on the desk of the VZW store since I had an issue with it. He said oh what this, you rooted it? I am like I dont know what that is, he laughed and said its fine no one here cares lol.

LMAO! Thats funny because the first week i started working at my VZW store i helped root and rom my Managers DINC. Nobody at the stores really care its just a job 99% of people just dont care about what you do with your phone they just want to go home.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
unlocking your bootloader.. so that implies the bootloader is locked?

I thought it was "motorola sucks, they lock their boot loaders"

do all bootloaders come locked and motorola just has more encryption?, or is this the first nexus phone to have a locked bootloader?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

do all bootloaders come locked and motorola just has more encryption?, or is this the first nexus phone to have a locked bootloader?

No.

Alll Nexi have had locked bootloaders, but the difference is that they're UNLOCKABLE. Motorola's are not.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

As has been said many times, a locked bootloader is not the problem. Even the Nexus One had a locked bootloader. A locked and ENCRYPTED bootloader, like those on Motorola devices, is a problem.

Reactions: revickulous2001

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
As has been said many times, a locked bootloader is not the problem. Even the Nexus One had a locked bootloader. A locked and ENCRYPTED bootloader, like those on Motorola devices, is a problem.

That is correct. The word "locked" is frequently thrown around when describing bootloaders. Most people use it to mean "encrypted." All phones have a locked bootloader. The difference is that some phones require quite the ordeal to figure out how to unlocked them. Especially when being placed on U.S. carriers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non