Best Buy Finally Called and Asked Me To Return The GN

ihyln

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Do not under any circumstances accept a promise of ANY sort, even in writing from the manager's mom and the pope. Best Buy will stab you so hard in the back the knife would appear on the other side with inches to spare. If you do want to return the phone get the largest GC you can get and run out of there.

bmoore0909

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I think this would be an easy one for me. I would return it but say that you have no other phone. They should give you one (rezound, razr, etc.) with no problem. I wouldn't ask for it to be a loaner. I'd ask to keep it for all the trouble you're having to go through (coming back to the store, time, etc).
That way you have a nice phone to sell at retail for maybe $400-$500, and you'll get the nexus when it comes out. So essentially free nexus and some left over money.

This seems much more probable than just getting a large gift card. This way they're not just "giving" you money. Just a phone, and for a valid reason.

edit: make sure the phone they give you doesn't take away your upgrade eligibility.

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
He's called 3 times now. I'd answer and deal with it now but I'm at work and don't have the time to handle this. I'm guessing all hell is breaking loose over at that store right now. I'm a bit worried.

and that's 3 times in one hour.

Call him back and tell him you are unable to talk now, as you are at work, and don't want to get in trouble, but you will come meet with him to work out something when you get off work. Leave the phone in the car and go inside and discuss what they will do for you. Do not address anything about where the phone is, they don't need to see it.

Get everything in writing, signed by the store manager, with a copy of their business card. Make sure they note releasing you from the Verizon contract if you return the phone.

If you don't call them, or follow some of the advice given here, expect the phone to be left inoperable, and never be able to work on Verizon's system. At that point VZW will tell you to deal with BB - and it gets nasty and the lawyers get involved. No one wins when they get involved. If anyone gets terminated, the lawyers will be involved, and it will be nasty.

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Do NOT return the phone. You did nothing wrong. THEY did. Let them suffer the consequences. You are under zero obligation to do anything at this point.

Reactions: crzycrkr

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Is there something here I've missed? Take the phone back and get your money back. Someone made a mistake. It's not the end of the world to have to return the phone. And, as has been mentioned, VZW will probably deactivate it. Then where will you be?

Reactions: Ezduzit

Tee312

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Call him back and tell him you are unable to talk now, as you are at work, and don't want to get in trouble, but you will come meet with him to work out something when you get off work. Leave the phone in the car and go inside and discuss what they will do for you. Do not address anything about where the phone is, they don't need to see it.

Get everything in writing, signed by the store manager, with a copy of their business card. Make sure they note releasing you from the Verizon contract if you return the phone.

If you don't call them, or follow some of the advice given here, expect the phone to be left inoperable, and never be able to work on Verizon's system. At that point VZW will tell you to deal with BB - and it gets nasty and the lawyers get involved. No one wins when they get involved. If anyone gets terminated, the lawyers will be involved, and it will be nasty.

He's not dealing with Apple here. Lawyers won't get involved, Verizon won't brick his phone, and he doesn't HAVE to return it. It's more of an ethical issue than anything else. If he doesn't return it, someone could get fired. That's the WORST that will happen, which is still pretty bad, but he himself won't be in any trouble.

EDIT: Also, Verizon most likely already knows since he got a call from Best Buy about it. They're not going to deactivate it, not when launch is so close. Think of how much bad press they would get? Verizon is going to let this stay on the downlow.

Berzerker

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Verizon can and most likely will brick your phone. Trust me.

This is completely and utterly false. Verizon has no way of bricking your phone besides deactivating your SIM, which then would just be as easy as going into another store and asking for a new mSIM. Most likely after deactivating the first SIM they will just mark the account as closed and move on, not even paying attention if you get a new SIM.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd tell them it's the only phone you have. You'll bring it back for a Razr to use as a loner until the GN is released and a $300 gift card so you can buy the GN on them for all your trouble.

callmebob

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
If this phone is supposedly coming out in 3 days, why the panic to get it back? If this guy is calling 3 times an hour and BB has been contacted by Verizon to get the phone back, that causes me to worry that it will not launch this week. I can't see a company with 100 million customers or another multi-billion dollar company worrying about one phone that was sold 5 days early. Something doesn't smell right.

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Demand this. Demand that. Whatever happened to just being NICE to people? Understand, people make mistakes. Don't let whoever sold it to you get canned for this.

OP, just take it back and get a refund. If you don't have a spare phone, surely you have a friend who does, just to hold you over. Just because you might have them in a compromising position doesn't mean you have to take advantage of it.

Don't Be Evil.

EDIT: The guy calling you like mad is probably begging for his job right now.

trebores

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I vote that you return it, I wouldn't negotiate or anything else for a "better" deal. You had prior knowledge that the phone wasn't supposed to be sold. Yes the CSR at BB messed up by selling you one in the first place but you have to accept responsibility for your part in this as well.

Honestly these days everyone spends way too much time and effort into taking advantage of any situation. While not everyone here will agree with what I said IMHO it's the right thing to do.

You had a few days to play with an unreleased device, you'll get your money back and you have a head start on everyone else in knowing what we are getting.

They may offer you a discount or a gift card for your time and trouble, but that is up to them.

I hope you will let us know what you decide to do.

I agree - bring it back if they're asking - you'll get your money back and have another one in a few days.. and really, what's with (most) everyone? Get a grip.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If this phone is supposedly coming out in 3 days, why the panic to get it back? If this guy is calling 3 times an hour and BB has been contacted by Verizon to get the phone back, that causes me to worry that it will not launch this week. I can't see a company with 100 million customers requiring another multi-billion dollar company to get back one phone that was sold 5 days early. Something doesn't smell right.

Because it was all over the web. I think it may be more a thing with bb than with verizon. I think the employee got in hot water for using a fake sku and selling something before hand. Seems if verizon wanted you to return it they would have called but with bb calling maybe the manager and rep who sold it are facing termination or something if they do not get it back.

st0ic_1

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree - bring it back if they're asking - you'll get your money back and have another one in a few days.. and really, what's with (most) everyone? Get a grip.

Why are they making such a big deal of getting it back if it's releasing in a few days? Open your eyes

ryanlc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
If you don't return it, you will simply be banned from every BB in the country.

All your personal info they have will be sent to all the BB security departments. If you were to escape detection in a BB in the future, you will have to pay cash, because anything with your name on it will set off warning lights and buzzers.:p

In all seriousness, I don't really envy your position now. If it was me, I would reluctantly return it. and wait for the official release.

At least you can come away from all this will one hell of a good story.

This is the stupidest thing I ever heard! Seriously...he aquired the phone LEGALLY! There is nothing they can do! They won't blacklist him! He was sold the phone, so if anyone was going to be flagged in the BB system, it would be the douchebag that sold it to him!
Keep the phone, unless you can get something awesome for it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38