Portable WiFi Hotspot locked... so much for being a Nexus Phone!

aanasa

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping being a nexus phone VZW wouldn't require the extra data subscription to use the hotspot feature like you can with the Nexus S.... looks like I was wrong... How foolish of me!

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Portable WiFi Hotspot locked... so much for being a Nexus Pho

Works for me but I pay for it.

DrPancake

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

im not payin for that! if you root your GN you should be able to use it as a hotspot for free right? thats what I did on my last phone

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

Im glad to pay the 30 a month for the unlimited hotspot. It's so freaking fast!

Reactions: aggie

Sal

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Im glad to pay the 30 a month for the unlimited hotspot. It's so freaking fast!

But how reliable is the GN wifi hotspot connection? Have you tried tethering various devices through it yet? There are some reliability inconsistencies with most Verizon 4g phone hotspots, it seems from what I've seen. Hate to pay for it unless it works really well with Macs, tablets et al.

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

if you root the phone, shouldn't you be able to tether w/o the extra service fee?

Hilbe

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Wonder if it's possible to steal the GSM version's hotspot....

pharmboy24

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

when i ordered mine via telesales today she gave me the option to drop unlimited and take their 4 gb double data promotion and said that includes mobile hotspot with no monthly fee. If you kept unlimited you had to pay the monthly fee to have it. I kept the unlimited, but didn't realize that was an option until I called in.

Reactions: Deenybird

Johnbibbs

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping being a nexus phone VZW wouldn't require the extra data subscription to use the hotspot feature like you can with the Nexus S.... looks like I was wrong... How foolish of me!

Sprint locked the NS4G down as well. It's still a Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Absurdo

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

when i ordered mine via telesales today she gave me the option to drop unlimited and take their 4 gb double data promotion and said that includes mobile hotspot with no monthly fee. If you kept unlimited you had to pay the monthly fee to have it. I kept the unlimited, but didn't realize that was an option until I called in.

Fairly certain you got lied to...the cheapest plan with mobile hotspot and 6G is $50 a month. The normal 2G plan is no mobile hotspot and $30 a month. This is what is on the Verizon site.

pharmboy24

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Fairly certain you got lied to...the cheapest plan with mobile hotspot and 6G is $50 a month. The normal 2G plan is no mobile hotspot and $30 a month. This is what is on the Verizon site.

Another case of verizon being clueless? I didn't think I'd ever seen that mentioned before, but thought I may have just overlooked it. Glad I didn't give up my unlimited then, they actually had me considering it.

drumzalicious

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Another case of verizon being clueless? I didn't think I'd ever seen that mentioned before, but thought I may have just overlooked it. Glad I didn't give up my unlimited then, they actually had me considering it.

I work for a VZW re-seller and I assure you that you weren't lied to. They have a quiet promotion going on with all of their 4G smartphones where you get double the data for the same price.

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I work for a VZW re-seller and I assure you that you weren't lied to. They have a quiet promotion going on with all of their 4G smartphones where you get double the data for the same price.
I don't think that is the issue. The question is whether the hotspot is free with the limited data plan.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

He said it was double + free mobile hotspot, not just double data. I'm pretty sure that isn't a real option. I asked if I could keep my free mobile hotspot from my palm pre+ time, but they weren't having it :p

dricket

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Another option: here is a wifi hotspot app that doesn't require a monthly subscription, and doesn't need root:

Search Android Market for "Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether" by SVTP or use these links:

Paid Version $9.99 - 5-day money-back guarantee
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspot

Free Trial - 2 days
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo

5 posts all advertising this app?

sounds fishy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38