Is there a way to enable mobile data while wifi is active?

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
Apparently in Android 11 developer mode there was an option for this, but I can't find a way in Android 12.

The problem I have is that as soon as my phone wirelessly connects to the Android Auto device in my car, it is unable to access the internet, so apps won't work.

None of the settings for data roaming, mobile data, wifi+, portable hotspot, etc allow the phone to access internet data while the wifi connection is active. Considering the number of devices that require wireless connectivity, it is incredible that Android 12 doesn't allow wireless and internet connectivity at the same time. Does anyone know a workaround?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure? I still have it on a Pixel6.
c29a5e7707dba851cb2cc5078956ef2b.jpg

I have mine off as a holdover from when I only had a 2GB data. And I know that was android 12 .

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I am not sure I understand the problem. For my phone and Android Auto, it uses mobile data just fine with also wireless Android Auto (via WiFi), and I don't need to specifically set anything in developer options in order for it to work like that.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
You need to enable developer options by pressing on the build number under settings about phone. You press build number 7 times and it says "you are now a developer"
Then you should see a category under settings with developer options. Scroll down until you see the label in the screenshot above and tick it to turn it on.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
I am not sure I understand the problem. For my phone and Android Auto, it uses mobile data just fine with also wireless Android Auto (via WiFi), and I don't need to specifically set anything in developer options in order for it to work like that.
Is your phone running Android 12? With mobile data set to on, my Android 12 phone gets no internet while connected to wifi.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Is your phone running Android 12? With mobile data set to on, my Android 12 phone gets no internet while connected to wifi.
I am on Android 12, and when connected to wireless Android Auto (that's via wifi) the phone successfully uses mobile network/data for whatever it needs to do for reaching the internet, google assistant, etc.... I do not have the "Mobile data always active" toggled on in developer options.

Greenfingers

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for confirming that. So now I believe this is an issue related to my Huawei P20 phone. There is a clue in user manual that came with the Android Auto MMI unit that mentions incompatibility with Huawei mate 20. I'll probably give up on a solution now and just use the USB connection instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201