Boot loader unlock for dummies?

Brooke

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
There is a thread - can't find it now - with a link to instructions for unlocking. It involves first dl-ing to the PC. After that, I'm stuck. Instructions look simple enough, but their steps don't seem to match what I'm seeing.

Is there a -real- dummies version? Better yet, anyone in the North SF Bay Area want to give hands-on help?

TIA

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There is a thread - can't find it now - with a link to instructions for unlocking. It involves first dl-ing to the PC. After that, I'm stuck. Instructions look simple enough, but their steps don't seem to match what I'm seeing.

Is there a -real- dummies version? Better yet, anyone in the North SF Bay Area want to give hands-on help?

TIA

I can give you help remotely using logmein

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I may take you up on that. Happy to make a donation if we do it. Would like to do it myself, though ...

Nah, I don't do this for money. I'd walk you through it though if you want. Make sure the drivers install properly. When you boot into fastboot mode, your computer will need a driver installed first (may fail first time, mine did).

moondrius

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
It is really simple. Make sure you have the Android sdk setup as well as fastboot in the folder with adb and follow those directions.

The only issue I had was getting fastboot drivers that worked. I was able to boot into the bootloader using adb but fastboot oem unlock was not working. These drivers work for both adb and fastboot. [ADB/FB Driver] Naked Samsung Driver 1.7 - xda-developers

Once you have the sdk, fastboot and the drivers set up its as easy as "adb reboot bootloader" and "fastboot oem unlock"

llasch

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Guys....I need help, forgive me if this is so rudimentary to you it makes you queasy. I have never rooted a phone and and not really sure what it does. Does anyone have a link or enough time to explain to me what it is exactly (including ROMs...clueless on those too). I need some informative reading and would rather trust someone on here than googling it. I jail broke my iPod touch a few years ago...is that similar? Sorry for the nub'ness

JoeUserTX

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It actually is very simple. Like what has been mentioned, the only real challenge was getting the Nexus to communicate with the proper USB driver. The xda-developers.com link mentioned has the necessary USB driver, so you're covered there.

Just remember to NOT panic and think that the colored blocks animation is stuck and looping (and yank the battery)! It's normal, and takes a few minutes to fully wipe and unlock. Also, back up any photos or emails that you want to keep, as unlocking will wipe the phone as if you were doing a fresh unboxing (that is why it is recommended to do this before heavily configuring your phone after unboxing).

Edit: "Rooting" and "Unlocking" are not the same thing. You unlock the phone so that you can then root, if you desire to later. Root allows you access to fully control your phone, its operating system (ROM's), and everything else (including bricking it, if you're not too careful). Also, rooting voids your Verizon warranty, whereas unlocking does not (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone).

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get my PC (Win 7) to load Samsung's USB driver, so I never got very far when I tried last night. I was able to download the proper driver but couldn't install it, for some reason. Because of that, my PC wouldn't recognize the GN in fastboot mode.

BriMcFly88

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I am somewhat familiar with this process, having done this before.

HOWEVER, it's been 18 months... and I have a new laptop. Problem is that I can't get the usbwin (or whatever it's called) to work on my 64bit windows 7 machine. So when I go to control panel/devices and try to select the driver, it fails.

Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa