iPhone convert. Quick question about some differences

Peter Baron

Aug 23, 2019
Visit site
So I took the plunge and traded in my iPhone X for the Note 10+ 512gb
Sure, there are a few differences, but overall, I'm in love with my new Note.

I have a few questions to help my transition though, and I'm hoping someone here can ease my frustrations as I'm assuming it's simple settings that I never had to worry about with the iPhone.

First: This will sound silly and basic, but a phone is, well, an actual phone. So my first frustration is that when I'm on a phone call, when I pull the phone away from my ear, the screen remains turned off. On the iPhone, the screen turns on as soon as you pull it from your face.
This is important so you can a) hang up the call, b) open the number pad to make selections, and c) turn on speakerphone.

But on the Note, this simply isn't the case. The screen remains off, so now I have to fumble around and try to turn the screen on with a frustrated routine of tapping on the screen while cussing, hitting side button while cussing, trying to see if it's looking at my phone for faceID or passcode or fingerprint to turn the damn screen on.

Perfect, screen is finally on... now where in the F is the actual phone call I'm in? It opens to home screen, NOT the actual phone that I'm using. And you can't click the phone icon, you (from what I'm seeing) have to swipe down from the notification bar and touch the phone call you're in.

There's no way that it has to be this painful to press 1 for english or hang up a call.

Is there a setting for this?

Second: Unlocking the screen to use your phone. On iPhone, you simply pick the phone up and it automatically scans for your face and unlocks the phone... simply by picking it up and looking at it. No swiping, no buttons, no nothing.

Is there an easier way to unlock the Note 10?

If I have fingerprint enabled, I have to pick up phone, touch screen to turn it on, place thumb on sensor, then it unlocks. That's 3 steps instead of simply picking a phone up.

If I have faceID on, then from what I'm finding out, do I simply click the side button to turn it on and it scans face? Cause if I don't hit that button, it doesn't. No amount of tapping the screen will make the sensor scan for my face.

Thanks everyone. I know these are probably n00b questions, but hey, I'm switching platforms, so I am a n00b. haha

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
As far as the screen turning off while in a call I don't think there's any setting it just works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I think it has to do with whether the phone was locked or not when you answered the call.

The fingerprint sensor works with the phone off you just press on the area where the sensor is. Eventually you'll become accurate enough to make it a one step process. The double tap to wake for the face unlock I believe is a setting that you might have to turn on.

Hope this helps a little and hopefully some updates come out to make the proximity sensor work properly when in a phone call.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Lol!!!

First: This will sound silly and basic, but a phone is, well, an actual phone. So my first frustration is that when I'm on a phone call, when I pull the phone away from my ear, the screen remains turned off. On the iPhone, the screen turns on as soon as you pull it from your face.
This is important so you can a) hang up the call, b) open the number pad to make selections, and c) turn on speakerphone.

But on the Note, this simply isn't the case. The screen remains off, so now I have to fumble around and try to turn the screen on with a frustrated routine of tapping on the screen while cussing, hitting side button while cussing, trying to see if it's looking at my phone for faceID or passcode or fingerprint to turn the damn screen on.

Perfect, screen is finally on... now where in the F is the actual phone call I'm in? It opens to home screen, NOT the actual phone that I'm using. And you can't click the phone icon, you (from what I'm seeing) have to swipe down from the notification bar and touch the phone call you're in.

There's no way that it has to be this painful to press 1 for english or hang up a call.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So I took the plunge and traded in my iPhone X for the Note 10+ 512gb
Sure, there are a few differences, but overall, I'm in love with my new Note.

I have a few questions to help my transition though, and I'm hoping someone here can ease my frustrations as I'm assuming it's simple settings that I never had to worry about with the iPhone.

Second: Unlocking the screen to use your phone. On iPhone, you simply pick the phone up and it automatically scans for your face and unlocks the phone... simply by picking it up and looking at it. No swiping, no buttons, no nothing.

Is there an easier way to unlock the Note 10?

If I have fingerprint enabled, I have to pick up phone, touch screen to turn it on, place thumb on sensor, then it unlocks. That's 3 steps instead of simply picking a phone up.

If I have faceID on, then from what I'm finding out, do I simply click the side button to turn it on and it scans face? Cause if I don't hit that button, it doesn't. No amount of tapping the screen will make the sensor scan for my face.

Thanks everyone. I know these are probably n00b questions, but hey, I'm switching platforms, so I am a n00b. haha
It should actually work similar to your iphone. There is a proximity sensor so it knows when it's up against your faces and turns off the screen to avoid actual button presses. When you take it away the screen SHOULD turn on. Do you have a case on your phone? Maybe try it with the case off?

It SHOULD also bring you back to your phone call but if you find yourself back at the home screen your call should be up in the notification tray. Just swipe down and tap on your call to get back to the phone app.

Peter Baron

Aug 23, 2019
Visit site
Thanks guys, I think the phone sensor is just temperamental as 10 mins after posting this, it was working and hasn't had a hiccup yet. So thank you for answering :)

I'm hoping I get accustomed to just hitting the side button to turn faceID sensors on. I suppose I could double tap like durandetto said, but not sure that would be any easier than the physical button. Time will tell. I know it was about a 2 week "get use to it so it's second nature" learning curve when iPhone went away from the home button for fingerprints and straight to faceID, so here's to hoping.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
As to unlocking: You can use trusted places or trusted devices to keep the phone unlocked. For example, you home can be a trusted place and the phone won't unlock there unless you press the power button when it's on. With trusted devices you can trust your car's bluetooth or your smart watch, anything bluetooth, and when those are connected then the phone will stay unlocked.

I have a Wear OS watch and as long as I'm within 30 feet of my phone it stays unlocked. If I want to lock the phone when it's across the room I can do it with a watch app.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Use Face ID and in your settings you should see below and untick stay on lockscreen.. You will go to phone when you pick up like iPhone
c49842496d0e953c08cd7f69c5c0cb0e.jpg

Peter Baron

Aug 23, 2019
Visit site
One other question please.

Android Auto

There is no messaging app on android auto for voice text messaging? Is this right? I know I'm comparing apple to android, but CarPlay has it and I just assumed Android Auto would as well. I mean, texting is one of the biggest reasons to NOT use your phone, so if it's integrated like CarPlay where it reads you the texts and you can reply with voice texting, that would be the #1 (aside from maps) reasons to even have Android Auto exist.

I can't for the life of me find settings to fix this, and I've google searched for this, but nothing.

If anyone knows how I can get the basic, came with the phone messaging app to show on AA, I'd be forever in your debt.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
One other question please.

Android Auto

There is no messaging app on android auto for voice text messaging? Is this right? I know I'm comparing apple to android, but CarPlay has it and I just assumed Android Auto would as well. I mean, texting is one of the biggest reasons to NOT use your phone, so if it's integrated like CarPlay where it reads you the texts and you can reply with voice texting, that would be the #1 (aside from maps) reasons to even have Android Auto exist.

I can't for the life of me find settings to fix this, and I've google searched for this, but nothing.

If anyone knows how I can get the basic, came with the phone messaging app to show on AA, I'd be forever in your debt.

For android auto it just uses what ever text message app you have as default to send messages. You just say hey Google send a message to so and so and it works. When I'm connected it also plays messages out loud and asks if I want to reply. I use Samsung messages app.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Just press the microphone button or say "OK Google" respond with "send a text message" or "send a text message to sally". It uses the default messaging app.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys, I think the phone sensor is just temperamental as 10 mins after posting this, it was working and hasn't had a hiccup yet. So thank you for answering :)

I'm hoping I get accustomed to just hitting the side button to turn faceID sensors on. I suppose I could double tap like durandetto said, but not sure that would be any easier than the physical button. Time will tell. I know it was about a 2 week "get use to it so it's second nature" learning curve when iPhone went away from the home button for fingerprints and straight to faceID, so here's to hoping.
Over time the double tap will become second nature, even in phones that don't have it. Back in the day when I switched between LG and Samsung there was always a transition period where I was double tapping my Samsung phone everyone I pulled it out and hitting the non existent home button on my LG. Moral of the story give yourself a couple weeks to adjust.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail