Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 220
Like Tree17Likes
  1. #76  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    My Galaxy S2 is flashing an error message "Security Policy restricts use of Internet Sharing".

    Anyone know how to get around this?
  2. #77  
    Bad_Robot's Avatar

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Robot View Post
    Funny. Worked fine for me yesterday. Just tried it on again, flipped the bluetooth sharing on and got a pop up about subscription services. Relaunched with regular wifi tethering and it hasn't popped up yet. Unfortunately I don't have another device within reach to determine if it is working properly or not.
    Figured this out. So I put the Wifi Tether widget on my desktop. When I launch the phone with the widget it opens up the stock ICS Wifi Tethering app, not the one from the market. Very weird. When I open the app through the icon in my app drawer works fine.
  3. #78  
    calikingz's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    I'm on 2nd day testing and it's working fine for me. I've tested my HP laptop, my Color Nook and my Asus Transformer and I was never re-directed to any other page. I've also checked my Verizon account and so far it's just being seen as regular data. I will keep checking and testing.
  4. #79  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Hot damn, I mean Hot Spot! Works fine for me on my Galaxy Nexus, Verizon. At first it didn't allow internet access, but eventually did on its own. But if it doesn't, look in the help section, and it gives you suggestions to rename the network and other things. This is a God send, as I'm in the field most days with no wi-fi for my netbook, this is wonderful!!!!! It is a life changer for me.

    But..... it shows the USB tether will not supported on this phone. Is that the same for others? What are we missing. Or is just the same as we already have in plugging into the computer USB?
    Last edited by animalwatcher; 12-19-2011 at 04:27 PM.
  5. #80  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryMasters View Post
    That's the second user in this thread to report a redirect. So like I said, Verizon CAN see you using this and start charging you for it as they see fit.
    I think there may be some confusion with other tethering apps or bluetooth tethering; for example, it's easy to accidentally end up in the verizon hotspot app or widget instead of this one. As far as I have seen this app works without a redirect on Galaxy Nexus ICS stock rom.

    The main point I would share here is that I have never heard of any carrier charging a customer who didn't explicitly sign up for the hotspot service, out of thousands of users.
  6. #81  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Thanks it works great without root.

    Ironic thing is I just called VZN this morning to add the $30 unlimited hotspot, and they told me it's not available anymore! Their loss!
    Its not ironic Verizon only offers the unlimited 4G Hotspot for $30 to only the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Droid Charge, and LG Revolution. All the phones that were part of the free 4G Hotspot promo that went on from Tbolt launch to July 6th (or sometime in that area). It was only offered (and still is) to customers with those phones and customers with the unlimited $29.99 data plans still on their phones.
  7. #82  

    Default

    So u have to pay 9.99 for two day trial or is it 9.99 period and it works forever?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  8. #83  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    I reloaded the app and it is working.

    Most likely I downloaded a different wifi hotspot, not the one with USB

    Working as advertised, and sent this message from my I pad tethered via the app
  9. #84  
    MikeNY's Avatar

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Works great for me! Wifi hotpost connected my laptop to my phone with no problem...at 1st it was nto working then I clicked the troubleshooting on my laptop and fixed it right up. I am not a techie but I assume the tethering w/usb that is part of this is not needed.
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
  10. #85  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Boot loaders unlocked, have not we been talking the benifiets for years? ha ha! Finally VZW, I love YOU!!!!
  11. #86  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    so im trying the two day free trial. I was able to connect after downloading, deleting and redownloading. Now if i try to reconnect via the app shortcut login the hotspot is greyed out. If i try to go in by the widget i get the ics native app, or at least it looks just like it! It does say androidap and the password is the same as the first time BUT am i staying hidden from Verizon or not? Dont wanna buy if it cant keep working....did great the first time sharing with my xoom.
    Just a good explanation would be appreciated....thanks guys. Love this forum!!
  12. #87  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    It works for my nexus. Mine is unlocked and rooted with 4.02 update. This is faster than my road runner turbo lol. This has to be why d=big red does not want it. Free ther should be part of the plan. I have unlimited and I think it's bs to charge 60 bucks for ocasion use I will do with thether. But know that I am thinking about it. this is faster than my home service so I should dump them and just use this I am not a heavy user. For home and on the go I will use around 5 gig or so a moth.
  13. #88  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Just trying it agin for the 2nd time, hooked up to my iPod and it is still working. Yeah sucks using it on my iPod but Xfinity isn't working on the GN yet, bast*rds!
  14. #89  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineM3 View Post
    So u have to pay 9.99 for two day trial or is it 9.99 period and it works forever?
    2-day trial version is free. $9.99 is a one-time charge for the paid version of the app.
    Thanked by:
  15. #90  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer21 View Post
    so im trying the two day free trial. I was able to connect after downloading, deleting and redownloading. Now if i try to reconnect via the app shortcut login the hotspot is greyed out. If i try to go in by the widget i get the ics native app, or at least it looks just like it! It does say androidap and the password is the same as the first time BUT am i staying hidden from Verizon or not? Dont wanna buy if it cant keep working....did great the first time sharing with my xoom.
    Just a good explanation would be appreciated....thanks guys. Love this forum!!
    Sorry it's confusing -- an earlier poster mentioned correctly that both this app and the Verizon one toggle the same hotspot, which was built into Android by Google since version 2.2 Froyo. So if you use this app to turn on the hotspot, there may be a hotspot icon that is the same one from the system app; or if you go into the system app it will show the hotspot is on. But I have used this app for 6 months myself with no complaint from the carrier, and I have never heard of a carrier complaining to any other user of this app. I imagine it is not worth their time to care about the small % of people using this kind of thing, and at worst they may disable it in a future software update.

    If the hotspot icon is greyed out when you start the app, it could be that data connectivity is not available. Be sure you are on 3G/4G before running the app.

    For more details related to your specific case, please check the Help page in the app which also has a link to email me privately.

    Thanks,
    Doug
  16. #91  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by angermeans View Post
    Its not ironic Verizon only offers the unlimited 4G Hotspot for $30 to only the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Droid Charge, and LG Revolution. All the phones that were part of the free 4G Hotspot promo that went on from Tbolt launch to July 6th (or sometime in that area). It was only offered (and still is) to customers with those phones and customers with the unlimited $29.99 data plans still on their phones.

    This isn't entirely true. I have the option now through My Verizon to add 4g Mobile Hotspot to my account.
    I have never owned any smartphones other than the DX and the Nexus. I can also get the feature for 20% off because of my work discount.

    When I called CS last night to ask about an equipment order, he mentioned he could add it. I also have unlimited data on my line which the OP may or may not have. If he doesn't have unlimited data, that may be why he was told it isn't available. Otherwise, he should call back or try to add it through vzw.com.
  17. #92  
    Cauhauna's Avatar

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    This isn't entirely true. I have the option now through My Verizon to add 4g Mobile Hotspot to my account.
    I have never owned any smartphones other than the DX and the Nexus. I can also get the feature for 20% off because of my work discount.

    When I called CS last night to ask about an equipment order, he mentioned he could add it. I also have unlimited data on my line which the OP may or may not have. If he doesn't have unlimited data, that may be why he was told it isn't available. Otherwise, he should call back or try to add it through vzw.com.
    x2, same here. Just went legit and added unlimited hotspot 2 days ago. Feels good man.

    Went from droid x to nexus, added 4g hotspot unlimited
  18. #93  
    Donato13's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Will this work on the samsung galaxy s2 (epic 4 touch on Sprint)???????
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #94  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donato13 View Post
    Will this work on the samsung galaxy s2 (epic 4 touch on Sprint)???????
    Try the free trial

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  20. #95  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    why does this work without root, but prior to ICS it needed root? Did ICS change the internals where gingerbread needed some extra permissions?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #96  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    why does this work without root, but prior to ICS it needed root? Did ICS change the internals where gingerbread needed some extra permissions?
    It did nit need root prior to ICS
    It worked on my Charge with Froyo without root

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  22. #97  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Will this work with the RAZR as well?
  23. #98  

    Default Re: WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by eikphoto View Post
    It did nit need root prior to ICS
    It worked on my Charge with Froyo without root

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    my confusion was that I was using code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ on my incredible. Why does need root and this wifi does not?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #99  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJBarnes View Post
    Will this work with the RAZR as well?
    In my experience no

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #100  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    my confusion was that I was using code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ on my incredible. Why does need root and this wifi does not?
    The developer of this app found a workaround is the best of my guesses

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B