New Galaxy Nexus owner, few questions.

NY Jets_6

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums.

Long time Android user, from the OG Droid -> Droid 2 -> Droid X -> Droid X2

As I was checking the mail on Monday, I got an early upgrade offer (thanks Verizon)!

So I jumped onto the Samsung Galaxy Nexus! I was long awaiting this phone ever since the Hong Kong conference. My first Samsung and 4G LTE phone. Unfortunately, my area does not have 4G but if I drive 5 miles east of my town, I get it, since it's right by the airport (Dulles Airport if you guys were wondering) ...

The reason I got the Galaxy Nexus was to get the pure Google experience because every phone I had ... had a stupid skin ontop of the Android OS (except for the OG Droid). So I missed it dearly, because I hate Motorolas MotoBLUR!

I'll admit one thing though, the way Samsung makes their phones are freaking cheap! Motorola makes stronger built phones, no doubt. But I got a double case from Verizon by incipio so I guess it makes up for it.

Alright, aside from the story, here are a few questions/regards I have concerning the Galaxy Nexus -

• What's up with the reception? Even though I don't have 4G, my 3G has been acting really slow. Never had this problem with the Droid X2. I read all the threads about the signal issues. My question is ... is it a phone hardware issue or can it be fixed through a software update?
  • Is anybodies Facebook app loading pages slow? I don't know if it's just me orrrr ...
  • Battery life. It drains fast! Is it because of the signal issues and/or can it be fixed through a software update? I'm considering the extended battery since it's at a reasonable price of $25.
  • Speaking of the extended battery ... will it fit my double case by incipio?

Other than all that, I really love this phone! The screen blows me away. Especially playing videos in 720p is jawdropping.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Reception varies... If you aren't in a 4G area then make sure you toggle it to CDMA only, will probably help reception a bit and will definitely save battery.

I think the facebook app is a bit slow too, but I think its the app's fault, when I updated it on the Bionic is was equally sluggish compared to the old one. Just need to wait for them to update it better.

ABSOLUTELY get the extended battery! Lol it should have been the stock one, doesn't add any noticeable size to the phone, just a must have. I never even took the stock battery out of its wrapper :)
Not sure if it will fit your case if its a really tight, form-fitting case. There have been mixed results with cases. I'm waiting on a verizon silicon case (they were all out in the store so I had to order it), which are said to fit just fine with the extended batt.

Also you should absolutely unlock and root this phone and grab SetCPU from the market, if battery life is bugging you. There are also many options ALREADY for custom kernels which will help your batt life... but if nothing else, you can set profiles for SetCPU to really help. For example one of the profiles I set limits the processor to .350 ghz when the display is off. I also limit it to .700 when I'm in a phone call (since I'm never using phone and data at the same time anyway)... just tons of things you can do to help save some juice..

Hope my advice helps some!

Chief83

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm new here too an have some questions.

1 how do you get rid of a widget? I can drag it to the home page and delete that, but it still is on the widget page.

2/. Is there a way to see you have a voice mail other than the tiny icon in the upper left?

3/. On my old storm bb. If I missed a call itvwas on the home screen.

4/. Does the 3G and 4g pertain to Internet only or is that the same "connection" for a phone call.

5/. It seems I need to reset going to my wireless home connection every time I come home. Is there a way for it to automatically pick it up?

6/. If my old car charger fits in the new phone is it safe to use or could the input power be different and hurt the phone?

7/. When on speaker phone the person I am taking to says hears his own voice back about 3 seconds later. Anyone else have this?

8/ on contacts how to you add pictures?

9/ when I plugged the USB into my computer it indicated the battery was charging and I had no way to put iTunes , etc on the phone. How to you get around this?

Any help would be appreciated.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm new here too an have some questions.

1 how do you get rid of a widget? I can drag it to the home page and delete that, but it still is on the widget page.
I don't know how to remove from the widget page.. I guess just live with it for now (I'm sure there's a way, probably by deleting something in /system or /data but I don't know what)
2/. Is there a way to see you have a voice mail other than the tiny icon in the upper left?
What else would you want? lol I don't understand the question? Notifications are there to notify you..?
Now its in your notification pulldown. You get the icon on top, then pull down the bar and see all your notifications. Tap one to be taken to the app, or just swipe it off the screen to ignore it :)
4/. Does the 3G and 4g pertain to Internet only or is that the same "connection" for a phone call.
Data only. Your voice and text is on a different signal. Even if you are getting no data (in a crappy area or something), if you have bars you are still getting voice/txt signal.
5/. It seems I need to reset going to my wireless home connection every time I come home. Is there a way for it to automatically pick it up?
Make sure you saved the settings for it in the Wifi menu, after clicking your network. Also from the list of networks, hit Menu then Advanced and set it to Keep Wifi on during Sleep -> Always.
6/. If my old car charger fits in the new phone is it safe to use or could the input power be different and hurt the phone?
If it is the same connector and seems to work (you don't encounter any issues) it should be fine. I use my old blackberry charger on it sometimes because the cord is longer, no problems.
7/. When on speaker phone the person I am taking to says hears his own voice back about 3 seconds later. Anyone else have this?
I think its a glitch.. I noticed on speakerphone when entering numbers for somethings, the service I'm at will think I hit them twice. I'm willing to bet its a software issue that can be fixed with a quick update, hopefully soon.
Click the contact, click the default image above their info, hit the Menu option (3 box thing on top right), hit Edit, then click the image again on the right. Note, you can do it from your computer just editing the contacts in google and it will be quicker, and sync right to your phone.
9/ when I plugged the USB into my computer it indicated the battery was charging and I had no way to put iTunes , etc on the phone. How to you get around this?
I don't use iTunes with my phone, can't comment.
Any help would be appreciated.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
One more question. What effect or what does let/CDMA mean as compared to CDMA only?

Lol.. its LTE/CDMA... LTE is the 4G network. That setting will connect you to 4G if available, if not then it will connect to the 3G (CDMA) network. If you are in a bad 4G area, or just want to save battery, then set it for CDMA Only. You can switch it back and forth at your leisure.

If your in an area where it seems your phone is constantly switching between 4G and 3G, that will cause a bad drain on battery, and you are best setting it to CDMA only. For example that happens to me at work, but when I get home its a good 4G area so I switch it back to CDMA/LTE.

Reactions: Chief83

FlyertalkerVulcan

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Another new owner and new Android user.

If I am in a strong WiFi area, is there a setting to force the phone to browse over wifi as opposed to 3G/4G Data network? Or is it automatic that the phone will select WiFi when a signal is available?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Another new owner and new Android user.

If I am in a strong WiFi area, is there a setting to force the phone to browse over wifi as opposed to 3G/4G Data network? Or is it automatic that the phone will select WiFi when a signal is available?

If you have Wifi turned on from your settings menu, and it's one of your networks you've enabled, then it will only grab data over wifi :)

NY Jets_6

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. One more question.

Anybody been experiancing sluggish browser performace? Mine tends to lag a lot especially when loading up this webpage.

Also, the accelerometer. It seems really delayed in the youtube app

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. One more question.

Anybody been experiancing sluggish browser performace? Mine tends to lag a lot especially when loading up this webpage.

Also, the accelerometer. It seems really delayed in the youtube app

I'm not a fan of the stock browser.. I just use Dolphin Browser HD. I got very accustomed to it on the Bionic and the stock one still doesn't impress me too much.

Accelerometer is hit or miss.. sometimes it seems pretty quick, sometimes a little slow, no big deal to me.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Signal reception and battery drain are a result of the software that isn't 100% complete yet. Either Google or an independent developer will fix these issues very soon. In the meantime, search the forums. There are many things that can be done to improve battery life.

Browser performance is likely the fastest available on any platform. And I've used them all. If you're having issues, I would take a look at what apps are running. Perhaps something you are running is a memory or cpu hog.

Most (if not all) accessories will also work with the extended battery.

chriskidwell

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the accelerometer goes extremely slow any time I switch to landscape, which is rare for me because I tend to press the . key rather than space bar in landscape by accident. I did come from my iphone 4 and the accelerometer and keyboard are a couple of only a few features I miss I love my gnex

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Another note on the accelerometer.. the app using it has to be designed to have it move that quick.. some apps are likely designed with a delay to keep them from flipping on you unintentionally.. but you can try like a game that uses the accelerometer and you'll see it is actually very responsive.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
1 how do you get rid of a widget on the widget page.
You can't
2. Is there a way to see you have a voice mail other than the tiny icon in the upper left?
Try putting the Voicemail app icon on a homescreen and see if the count shows.
There are missed call widgets.
Internet
See answer above from another user above
Check to make sure it is 5V and no more that 1W
That is a network echo, not hte phone.
See answer above from another user above. The real thing you want is to have a Facebook sync so that all your photos stay updated all the time. Try Friendcaster.
Try DoubleTwist