upgraded to Galaxy Nexus, but VZW says I'm eligible for upgrade?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
All 4 lines on my account were eligible for upgrades. (been eligible since 7/2005, yes, 2005)

When I upgraded the primary line to the Galaxy Nexus, I expected that line's eligibility date
to become 2 years from now.(or is it 18 months?)

Anyway, I have been checking my VZW acct online and all 4 lines are still showing eligible
for upgrade right now. I don't get what's happening here.... When I casually spoke to a
VZW rep on the phone asking about when my account can be upgraded, she asked me
to wait a moment. She came back and said "WHY HAVE YOU NEVER UPGRADED?
It's unusual to see upgrade eligible dates of 2005.... all four of your lines can be upgraded
right now...." She said it like a teacher from The Simpsons asking Bart Simpson why
he has been a 6th grader for 20 years! :)

Any ideas?

NY Jets_6

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: upgraded to Galaxy Nexus, but VZW says I'm eligible for upgra

shhhh ;)

Just stay quiet and take advantage of it lol. Something better could come out in 2012 and you can hop onto that phone without waiting two years, hehe.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

What i believe is happening is that within 14 days of your upgrade, your account will still say eligible because you can exchange. This should change soon.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

What i believe is happening is that within 14 days of your upgrade, your account will still say eligible because you can exchange. This should change soon.

seems logical... I'll give it another couple
of weeks...

if it still says that line is eligible for upgrade,
I'll call Verizon and complain. ;)

oxidant11

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah probably not, when something like this happens its usually not a good thing, meaning you didn't accept the terms and conditions or sort and if you don't get it taken care of they will charge you for the phones, another is it can take a few days for 4g phones to show up but the contract usually shows up I would call customer service back and tell them what's going on, because if you don't and the charges show up on a bill its pain in the ass to credits back, trust me I work for them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My sister recently upgrade her phone on T-Mobile after not upgrading for about 4 years. She upgraded and they said she can upgrade again anytime because she hasn't in a while.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

All 4 lines on my account were eligible for upgrades. (been eligible since 7/2005, yes, 2005)

When I upgraded the primary line to the Galaxy Nexus, I expected that line's eligibility date
to become 2 years from now.(or is it 18 months?)

Anyway, I have been checking my VZW acct online and all 4 lines are still showing eligible
for upgrade right now. I don't get what's happening here.... When I casually spoke to a
VZW rep on the phone asking about when my account can be upgraded, she asked me
to wait a moment. She came back and said "WHY HAVE YOU NEVER UPGRADED?
It's unusual to see upgrade eligible dates of 2005.... all four of your lines can be upgraded
right now...." She said it like a teacher from The Simpsons asking Bart Simpson why
he has been a 6th grader for 20 years! :)

Any ideas?

I think there is a lag period before it reflects online. I have seen it reflect in correctly either way. I've had it show that I'm not eligible for an upgrade when I am, as well as what you are seeing.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Usually it takes a few days for it to change in their system and I am sure with the holidays it may take a little longer for some.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah probably not, when something like this happens its usually not a good thing, meaning you didn't accept the terms and conditions or sort and if you don't get it taken care of they will charge you for the phones, another is it can take a few days for 4g phones to show up but the contract usually shows up I would call customer service back and tell them what's going on, because if you don't and the charges show up on a bill its pain in the ass to credits back, trust me I work for them.

With all due respect, this is all a lie, especially saying that you work for them. How do i know? Because i have worked for the wireless industry for years, and this usually occurs because there is a period of exchange that the websites will interpret as being eligible for upgrade. I have seen it happen dozens of times.

I may be wrong on this instance, but since i have seen it happen so often, this is probably the case.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
With all due respect I upgraded to the nexus on release day and I show an upgrade date in 2013. I am well with my return period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oxidant11

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
With all due respect, this is all a lie, especially saying that you work for them. How do i know? Because i have worked for the wireless industry for years, and this usually occurs because there is a period of exchange that the websites will interpret as being eligible for upgrade. I have seen it happen dozens of times.

I may be wrong on this instance, but since i have seen it happen so often, this is probably the case.

So instead of listening to this guy what is the harm of calling customer service again and letting them know what's going on, better safe than sorry, just trying to help, and yeah have upgraded several people online and myself there has never been a waiting period, AFTER you have accepted the terms and conditions which you don't have to do when activating a 4g device, so again just call CS.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

This happened to me one time, I upgraded the same line 3 times within a 14 month period before my date changed. The 2nd time they even had me go into a store and sign a updated/new contract yet it never updated my account. I think it is just a glitch in the system.

hull22

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

Did you know that you probably wasted a lot of money by not upgrading for 6 years. Even if you didn't need or want the upgrade, you could have "upgraded" to the latest phone and resold it for a profit every couple of years if you knew you were gonna stay so long.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Did you know that you probably wasted a lot of money by not upgrading for 6 years. Even if you didn't need or want the upgrade, you could have "upgraded" to the latest phone and resold it for a profit every couple of years if you knew you were gonna stay so long.

Exactly. One of my friends has 5 family plan accounts with VZW. His family just uses regular phone feature, and he has been a VZW customer for almost 10 years. He recently became eligible for upgrades and upgraded all of his lines to the most expensive phones, and then resold them. He now has two years to go with VZW. But, guess what? He made almost one and half grand out of this!!!! Since he was going to use VZW for the next two years anyway, it was a win-win for him.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

spoke with another VZW rep at the corporate store today. my account is still showing ALL lines
eligible for upgrades right now. the rep was curious as to why I have a recently activated Galaxy
Nexus on the primary line that still showed eligible for upgrade. after several minutes, she and
the manager had no clues... they called someone at corporate and got no where. well, at least
I got them to put notes in the account showing that I made an effort to inform them of this
situation.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site

yep this. after 14 days, that's when you're locked. i got mine from costco and that's what they told me. that's why i have 14 days for a return.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

yep this. after 14 days, that's when you're locked. i got mine from costco and that's what they told me. that's why i have 14 days for a return.

It's been almost a month since I got my Galaxy Nexus.

After several phone calls (including one this morning, the Verizon Wireless website still shows my line as
eligible for upgrade. The VZW customer service rep seemed genuinely puzzled. I kept bugging them
about it because I do not to be caught with a surprise charge on my account a few weeks/months down
the road. If I want another phone, I can easily use one of my other lines to upgrade. There no need for
to have this recently-upgraded line to continue to show "eligible for upgrade" at this time.

Unfortunately, there must be a glitch somewhere in VZW's system, as all the reps and supervisors
in the last month have been unable to fix this issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch