No Turbo for me; Verizon thinks red tape is so much fun (vent/rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
She cannot Edge up unless it is to the Turbo. That is the promotion. I'm sure I could call a few times and find random VZW CCR No 39242 and get some resolution to that, but I saw the guy at the store pull up our info and it said for the Edge program the only phone that could be used is the Turbo. Again, if someone is WILLING to give you more money... I guess it's just me, but I'd be like, okay, fine, you want to pay money per month? Go for it! Trade up! But common sense is dead and the obituary is quite the read.

Anyway there are a few valid ideas in this thread since I last read it. I will not deny that you guys have good suggestions to try. But at the same time, the point is, why does something so simple require me to run through a brick wall? Wile E. Coyote has better success with ACME products.

If I have time tomorrow before football (because I need a day predominantly composed of rest), I'm going to go to the store and trying one more time. If that fails, well, so be it. The swapping sim cards may work, BUT, Murphy's Law probably says, "Well, Mr. Moocow, you were under contract since December 2013, and we see you traded in this phone with this ID number, and we have this ID number on file for you, so unless you fix this, we'll charge you $300 or whatever we feel like."

We'll see... it's just frustrating. It should be simple, and it isn't.

EDIT: The Sim Swap probably won't work. When I log into my account, my phone is CLEARLY identified as the 32GB model and hers as the 16GB in red color model. So even if I did the whole swap sims and make my phone hers and vice versa, then walked into the store, that Murphy's Law comment probably would happen. And I'm sure the whole "Turbo only" upgrade is a lie, too. At this point, I admit, I've had a wild Thanksgiving weekend and my mind is spinning enough as it is. Maybe it's best I go to bed and approach fresh tomorrow.

Whenever I've switched phones, it does change the device on the account. It may not show up immediately, but it will show the change when you log into My Verizon. I've run into this when I've made an insurance claim and they want to replace my old device I activated after breaking the current phone I want to make a claim on. Apparently, the phone switch idea won't work according to some who claim to know otherwise. I'm not so sure after my insurance claim experience.
At any rate, you could go ahead and Early Edge giving up your 32GB, then your wife can Early Edge after 1yr. (It looks like she's about 7 months in?)
I've done it with 3 of the lines on my account, and it works out to be a net zero on my bill, except for activation fees of course. No two year contracts, and the ability to Edge Up after 1yr. I think you can even Edge Up after 6 months if you're willing to pay some money...

Posted via the Android Central App

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Moo Cow, sorry man it really does suck and Verizon is wacked sometimes! Makes me wish I would have looked into a different cell phone company! I thought that might work for you but each situation is different and I wish you the best of luck

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep, Verizon blows.

I switched over the upgrade with someone else on my account, and then ordered the turbo to ship to store online.

When I went in, they told me they needed the person whose name was on the contract.

When I brought her in, they told us something went wrong. They made us wait for about a half an hour.

Then, some dweeb came up to me and told me there was an error - but no worries, he could save me money with the edge plan! I laughed and told him NO, I would not like the edge plan, I would like what I ordered online.

He then tried to tell me about the edge plan and I had to cut him off. I told him again I would not like the edge plan, and that I knew everything about it. I said if I wanted it, I would have gotten it.

Then, he whimpered something about "but it'll save you money...". I sternly told him that I wanted the phone that I ordered online, plain and simple.

He went to the back of the store, and half an hour later came out with my turbo.

It seems like every time I get a new phone, Verizon gives me [languaged removed by Moderator]for it. Ridiculous. If anyone else had as good service, I definitely wouldn't still be with this [language removed by Moderator] company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So after tonight, I am questioning if I stay with Verizon. And I will probably cross-post this elsewhere (I try NOT to cross-post because it's spamming a board, but in some cases, you have to bend protocol a bit and I want to ensure I get a wide audience, not only from you guys -- who have been nothing short of wonderful in replying and trying to help or offer Devil's advocate stuff or whatever -- but from those who will hopefully provide insight on their strifes. Anyway...) Some of this will repeat earlier or give clarity in detail. But anyway...

So this is the detailed wall of text breakdown of everything this holiday weekend.

The background:

I am on the Nationwide 700 plan with five people total, myself, my wife, my in-laws, and another family member (who joined this year with a basic phone, but unfortunate medical issues +may+ have us canceling her line early, so essentially, it's four people except for the bill showing five.) The account is in my name and I've been with Verizon since Spring 2005, so I am a long-time customer and essentially have had this Nationwide plan since it was introduced whenever. (I forget now.)

I own a Droid Maxx black 32GB model that I got in mid-December 2013, so almost one year now. I use my phone for everything. I have photos, videos, music, etc., that are on my phone. I don't stream a lot, but when I do it's the spot sporting event on Watch ESPN, NBC Live, NFLST, etc. I have the phone on my arm band when I go run or work out. It is an integral part of my life from FitBit to web surfing to finance apps... you know, all the good stuff a smart phone is used for. And the battery life is just awesome.

In May 2012, the wife and in-laws came onto my plan shortly after my wife and I married. So I went from flying solo to a family plan. So May 2014 meant it was re-up time and they all got new phones. My wife and mom-in-law got Droid Maxx red 16GBs. My father-in-law remained on a basic phone; he's not a tech person like the rest of us.

The current:

So, here we are in November 2014 for Thanksgiving weekend, leading us into Monday, Dec. 1. VZW has come out with the Droid Turbo, the sequel to the Maxx essentially. It has a 64GB model. I've found myself needing more memory and the Maxx isn't expandable in memory. My wife has a 16GB model, but her iPod died, so we need to get her a phone with more memory so she can support her music collection. A lot of it is our personal media and we don't want to deal with the cloud. We do use it for Drive and Photos, but we also like stuff on our devices as well.

We figured, hey, they have Verizon Edge. Regardless what you think about Edge, let's put that aside and keep the story going. My plan going in was I'd have Verizon give me a 64GB Turbo. I'd then give my 32GB Maxx to my wife, and she'd turn in her 16GB Maxx to Verizon. On Black Friday night, I stopped into an official Verizon Wireless store (not a "certified to sell VZW items" store but an authentic one) to ask about it and they said no, they can't do that. The phone tied to your line has to be the one turned in. Okay, fine. But the salesman then said I could call customer service and inquire about if they can do any overrides, then stop back in and proceed.

So, thinking, "Okay, maybe there's a way," I called Saturday morning. The first customer service rep made a monotone rep sound colorful. This CSR put me on hold a couple of times and said nope, can't do it, no other options, blah blah blah, etc., call over.

Now, as a CSR in a different field myself, I know two things: I HATE it when people call in over and over to get what they want. BUT, I also know sometimes CSRs screw up and the next person gets to play damage control, clean up, whatever you want to call it. I confess, I've caused damage and also cleaned it up. It happens. So while I despise being the guy to call in and ask the same question, I swallowed my pride and did it later Saturday in the late morning/early afternoon, just to be sure. And the lady gave me a yes with one caveat: I'd have to use my wife's Edge up, turn her phone in, and then she and I swap around.

Whether this is true or not? I don't know. But the wife and I declined. It was too much red tape, especially if she wanted to edge up herself down the road, then we'd have more complications and headaches and we said the heck with it. We had plans Saturday, so everything was tabled for the day.

Sunday, I go back to the store. I see the same salesman. I told him what was up and that basically, it was a no-go as we didn't want to deal with the hoops. We'd just stay put and deal with our memory issues. But the guy saw we were on the Nationwide plan and said give him a few to do some math. Now we've done the More Everything share plan math in the past, and it's cheaper for us to be on the Nationwide plan. I have 6GB of data (lost unlimited when I upgraded but I never used all that anyway, so I'm not one of those to hold onto something for the sake of doing so.) My wife and mother-in-law joined during the double-the-data days when it was 4GB for the price of 2GB. So, they have that. The More Everything plans have always been more expensive than what it's worth.

But no, this time around, the guy did the math and said, "Yeah, it works now." It's because you can buy 10GB for the price of 6GB, and you have to have 10GB to truly take full advantage of the Edge program. A smartphone is $40 line access, but with 10GB of data you get $25 off if you have an Edged phone. So if the Edged phone is $25 or less per month, blam! It's $40 for month and essentially a free payment, and that covers my 64GB Turbo which would be $25 (key point here). Good math, right? (My mistake here was not getting a CLEAR explanation of the changes. In hindsight, I failed here.) The salesman assured us the price was negligible, maybe $3-4 more. Okay, we can do that, AND get our phones? Awesome!

Now, he said the upgrade of our Maxx's still were for the Turbo only. Again he recommended we call Customer Service to see if they can allow my wife to get a different phone. She really wants a LG G3, but in May, we went with what we had to do as for price reasons, and the Maxx was her best best given the deal at the time. Things have changed now, so she wants her phone of choice.

So I call Customer Service. For being at an official VZW store, we sure have to call Customer Service a lot. Can't they take care of everything. But anyway, I spoke to my third CSR in basically 24 hours and explained, "Hey, this guy at the store has found a way to get us onto the More Everything plan for virtually the same price we're paying now, we want to edge up, wife wants LG phone to replace Maxx, can you do it?" She comes back after a while and says no, the system won't allow it. I said on the website, when I select her phone and it says Edge eligible, it shows that phone in the list. (Mistake two on my part, I admit: I never went further than this. I didn't feel the need to. It showed it, right?) The CSR says that absolutely I can order off the website and go ahead and do it that way and get the early edge and she'd have her LG phone, I'd have my Turbo (and later on, my mother in law decided she wanted a new phone, too), and it would be free. My mother in law wanted the Note 4, and it was $29 so she'd have $4 to cough up, but okay, fine.

So we go back to the store. Our rep was with someone else, which is fine. Knowing he'd be a while, he said he'd switch our plan over that day, it would be reflected by evening, and we can order the phones. We took him for his word (hindsight: another mistake) and left.

Well evening arrives and no changeover. I'm not doing anything until I see the new plan in place, so I call Customer Service yet again to verify what is going on. And then these bombshells came out.

1.) No change was made to the plan. We were still Nationwide 700.
2.) This CSR did the math and based on the changes we were verbally told by the in-store salesman, we were told it would be a $40 increase in our bill, NOT the same price. And this matched what I saw when I tried to build my own edge plan by using the plan comparison feature. So, the in-store salesman lied or screwed up his math or something.
3.) Maxx's can only edge up to Turbo, period, no exceptions. The CSR said if another phone goes through, they'd honor the glitch, but he said it wouldn't. So while I was on the phone, I tried to upgrade my wife to both a Turbo and the G3. The Turbo 32GB is $25, but the 64GB model is $27, so the in-store salesman lied about that price. But the G3 only had a "full price" option and no edge up option like the Turbo, so the CSR from Sunday afternoon lied and her call notes were vague so there's nothing except for a call recording to be pulled.

Nothing has changed on the plan. We are still Nationwide 700 with everything we have had for a long time. But I told the CSR that I was very upset about the in-store rep lying, the two reps Saturday giving different information, and the fact that he and the previous rep Sunday also had different info on how to upgrade to something outside a Turbo.

In short, there is a lot of different storytelling going on and there is absolutely NO consistency whatsoever. I expressed this to the CSR politely. It's not his fault personally, and I realize that, but at the same time, someone needs to know I am frustrated and I calmly explained this to him. Never yelled, never cursed, just calmly explained my plight and how it's frustrating. I don't care if I can't get the phone unless I do this specific procedure; just tell me up front and I'll move on. Don't give me ideas of false hope and/or full of complications if it somehow can be done. That's not what I want. And being loyal for nearly 10 years, I deserve better.

What's next:

I plan on doing two things Monday to bring this issue to a close, because I'm finished with it.

1.) I'm going to speak to a manager at the VZW store and tell them everything from above, and I'm going to basically ask him what he can do to make it right. He needs to put his DIY Network hat on, play the role of Mike Holmes (great show, by the way), and fix it. I just spent Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and now Monday dealing with an issue that if properly dealt with by a truly knowledgeable rep from the start, could have been avoided completely! And that rep is under him. And while the CSRs aren't his responsibility, well, it's all Verizon, and he's the front line now. (Being a CSR and being the front line sucks, but that's our job, until it's clear a supervisor is needed/requested.) I want to know what he's going to do for me to address these issues and show to me that I should remain a customer. If I feel the answer is not satisfactory -- the "I'm sorry, blah blah blah" crap won't cut it -- I'll ask how much my ETFs are because we can and will switch once we decide on a company. I'll gamble on someone else if this is how VZW will treat me. If that doesn't spark anything, then nothing will, and it will likely seal my decision, barring something from...

2.) I'm going to call the customer service line and demand to speak to a sup, and I'll specifically request the call be pulled from Sunday afternoon where the woman lied to me. If they magically cannot pull that call and listen to it, well, that does seal my decision. But this will be a build-on to what is/isn't accomplished at the Verizon store. And I'll also ask them what my ETFs are because I have no qualms in going elsewhere after this experience. That, and it seems like every single time we need something at a VZW store, we're always told to call customer service. Well, what the heck is the point of a store if we have to call and talk to CSRs? Can't store workers be knowledgeable of their product? But something has to be done.

That's where I'm at right now. Basically they fix it, or I ask for ETFs and when the moment is right, we're gone. I don't know what is realistic to ask for as compensation, but for all this BS we've put up with, we deserve something for our troubles more than a simple, "I'm sorry," because I wasted a ton of time dealing with an issue that could have been quashed from the start. Knowledgeable people on these AC forums have given good answers I WISH I could have read beforehand, and now I know to ask before doing something to know what to expect. I had that resource here and fail to use it, so shame on me. At the same time, you would like to put trust into a store, right? Ultimately, I wasn't trying to fraud anybody, I just wanted my 64GB Turbo and to make my wife happy and my mother-in-law happy if she wanted to upgrade, and now it all seems to be a big waste of time. And I'm serious, I will explore options. I'm not afraid to go elsewhere and take a stab with them. Couldn't be any worse than Verizon, could it?

But almost 10 years, and I'm thrown around like a rag doll because of their own incompetence? That angers me. It took me an hour to write this so I could get Monday's battle plan in place with advice from you guys. Something has to be done. What it is, I don't know, but your help is appreciated.

If something isn't clear, I apologize. I was supposed to be in bed an hour ago, as on Sundays I go to bed after SNF ends on NBC. I am tired. So just answer with assumptions of both ways if need be. I'll surely be reading this at some point Monday when work breaks allow.

Thanks for reading all of that, and I hope you understand my frustration and can be of constructive help. I want to do what is right, but I gotta stick up for myself, too.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So, in the last year you've upgraded phones, knowing that you'd be able to upgrade them after two years, and now you're upset that you can't game the system to upgrade the device you want to upgrade a year early? I'm not so sure I'm sympathetic with you. You knew what you were getting into last spring when you did this.

Verizon is offering a very specific deal and you want to break their rules. Well, OK, I guess.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Sprint has ads that says they'll pay your etfs if you switch, at least part of them, on tv right now. Maybe that's your best bet.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the first to be a negative on this...

I'll be the first in line to shake my fist at the heavens and scream "curse you Verizon!" but my head hurt reading all this....

No offense, but I think part of the reason companies like Verizon seem so utterly unreasonable and douchey is because of the endless amounts of energy people are willing to expend trying to game the system. You're eligible to Edge up, your wife isn't but neither of you want the phone she picked just 6 months ago so you want to turn that one in and get a new one and switch them around. If you were them why would you want to do this? They offered you a solution - have her Edge up and swap her phone then switch phones with you but that's too much "red tape" and obviously resets the clock for her...Sorry, I just don't think they are being all that unreasonable.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Based on the length of your post I have to say you're spending way too much energy on this and getting yourself away too worked up. I couldn't afford to take that much time out of my life writing a post that long. I'm not saying don't be upset, but really to devote this much effort to a post?

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, in the last year you've upgraded phones, knowing that you'd be able to upgrade them after two years, and now you're upset that you can't game the system to upgrade the device you want to upgrade a year early? I'm not so sure I'm sympathetic with you. You knew what you were getting into last spring when you did this.

Verizon is offering a very specific deal and you want to break their rules. Well, OK, I guess.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Sprint has ads that says they'll pay your etfs if you switch, at least part of them, on tv right now. Maybe that's your best bet.

So if I go in, and they say no, I walk away and this is all done and over. That could have happened Friday. It is my right to ask a question but I expect a solid answer. I accept answers when it is final and that's that and what not.

But then they say call customer service to double check, who then gives conflicting answers. Then we go back to the store and say we were given an option and we declined due to the chaos it would cause, and wanted to see if there were any other options. They advertise Edge Up a lot so it is our right to do so IF we choose.

Then the salesman lied to us about the plan And a CSR lied about what we can do. and probably the CSR from last night is the only guy who knew anything, if he is trustworthy.

I never hid what I wanted to do. Doogald you know darn well there are people out there who use and abuse the system badly. They hide what they do, they exploit, and they keep doing it. Search around, the stories are here. But if what I wanted wasn't possible, then why tell me it is or say this or that?

I think what I am more pissed about is the lack of consistency of information. And I do my homework and ask questions when I feel I have one.

If ANYONE comes from this thinking I am an intentional crook or any likewise description, they are wrong. I am not out to scam. But if I have a question, why have 20 answers? That's what I got here. And why did they lie to me about a plan change to accomplish what I wanted? That's $40/month I don't want to spend when I was told that wasn't the case.

I just hate being lied to and misled. And this situation is full of it. All they had to do was be 100 percent firm Friday, and none of this happens. But if you tell me to try something, of course I'm trying it, because you are supposed to know.

But I'm not a crook. I was pretty transparent in what I wanted to do and never wanted to lie or steal, and crooks don't openly state their plans. And if you want to call me one, you're dead wrong.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Based on the length of your post I have to say you're spending way too much energy on this and getting yourself away too worked up. I couldn't afford to take that much time out of my life writing a post that long. I'm not saying don't be upset, but really to devote this much effort to a post?

If I say little people assume based on little detail. If I go long form, people get upset they have to read. If I go in the middle some details are omitted and people ask followups anyway. It is a catch 22. People ***** at me on this subject regardless so I've learned to just do what I do and be done with it. I can't change peoples views on my writing habits and there's more important stuff to worry about.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been through the different story from Verizon on different day thing, so I feel your pain.

Your solution is simple. If your wife truly needs more than 16GB of memory both you and your wife Edge up to a Turbo and select the 10 GB plan. (Your mother in law is not going to be eligible for a Note 4. Verizon will allow people to get out of their contract early and get on Edge if they get the Turbo, and only the Turbo. She could get a Turbo.) Your plan will cost about $35-40 per month more than you are paying now. You'll have to decide how to apportion those charges amongst the plan members. When you have paid 75% of the cost of the new Turbos you can Edge up again to the latest, greatest phone. In your wife's case that is conveniently around the time her 2 year contract would have expired, in May 2016.

Otherwise, your wife keeps her phone and you Edge up to a Turbo. Or you both do nothing.

Verizon is under no obligation to break their rules for you. They don't need to put on their DIY Network hat on and "fix it" because there is nothing to fix.

There is one thing you can try, which I found useful. I would suggest that you go on the Verizon website and do a Live Chat. Ask for a supervisor. Bring up your issues. Lay out the best deal you can make and then ask the supervisor to make notes in your customer account file. Make a print out of the chat session and bring it with you to the store. Also email a text file of the chat to yourself. Having a written description of talking to Customer Service will put an end to the nonsense of the stores requesting YOU contact customer service.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@ All,

OP had requested the thread be removed because they had changed their mind on the direction they are taking. Since we don't usually remove threads I have decided to close the thread. I thank the OP for coming forward and expressing their thoughts and was willing to take some of the possible heat the that comes with it.

Thank you all who participated and kept things on a professional level :)

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ Android Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali