ICS GN (Love/Hate) RANT!!!

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Okay as someone who uses a touchpad and a Pre2 regularly. Your kidding yourself if you think webos 2 or 3 are less buggy than Android 4. And the multitasking runs circles?! Lol your joking. Webos miltitasking is horrible the browsee refresges more than ios upon returning to it and if you have more than 2 apps open yiu get a too many cards error. How many reboots has the touchpad had? Well over 100. And the bootup time for webos is ridiculous. I dont know when the last time you used webos was but your notions are very far off. That OS is a mess which is why it failed.

Now.onto.other things. Android 4 does have some annoying aspects. One thing thag oeeves me to no end is live wallpapers. Why the hell is something that was introduced in android 2.1 still slowing the phone down in android 4. I hope android 4.0.3 fixes some of the lag issues. This phones hardware is far too powerful to be lagging.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay as someone who uses a touchpad and a Pre2 regularly. Your kidding yourself if you think webos 2 or 3 are less buggy than Android 4. And the multitasking runs circles?! Lol your joking. Webos miltitasking is horrible the browsee refresges more than ios upon returning to it and if you have more than 2 apps open yiu get a too many cards error. How many reboots has the touchpad had? Well over 100. And the bootup time for webos is ridiculous. I dont know when the last time you used webos was but your notions are very far off. That OS is a mess which is why it failed.

Now.onto.other things. Android 4 does have some annoying aspects. One thing thag oeeves me to no end is live wallpapers. Why the hell is something that was introduced in android 2.1 still slowing the phone down in android 4. I hope android 4.0.3 fixes some of the lag issues. This phones hardware is far too powerful to be lagging.

I agree about the live wallpapers. It is weird that phase beam does not slow the phone down yet the other live wallpapers do. Google needs to get on this because if one can work without slowing the phone down they all should( at least all the preinstalled ones anyway)

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I share similar feelings with the OP and feel that he(she?) brings up some valid concerns. I am a former webOS user and chose to move to a new OS due to the lack of apps and subpar hardware offered by HP. I had a Pre(-), Pixi, and Pre2, so i also share in the frustration of having to settle for(read:adapting to) Android/iOS.

When I moved, I went to iOS, mainly due to its smooth UI and reliability. While I am happy with my iPhone (flame suit) , I miss the multitasking and gestures of webOS. I bought one of the firesale TPs to 'rekindle' some of my webOS love, but have since sold it due to the same resons i originally left: subpar hardware and lack of apps.

Recently, I have decided to give Android a shot through a Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus, running Honeycomb. So far, I am adapting, but things seem less sorted and lacking finish. I kinda feel like Im constantly running a beta OS. I am hoping that ICS will help, as HC is the least stable of the OSs that I have used (with possible exception of webOS on the TP) .

While I know there is a chance that we will never see another webOS device, I still hold out for hope that the best features of webOS will be adapted to android or iOS. For now, there is a slight feeling of dissatisfaction with the current OS offerings. :-(

Sent from my SGH-T869 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ohiomoto

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ice Cream Sandwich in a nutshell, is great. I love that it's innovative, smooth, and more polished than any Android OS in the past. However, my main gripe is that whatever they did with ICS in the Galaxy Nexus, the battery drains too much.

One may immediately say "It's an LTE phone what do you expect." I know, but the fact is It isn't the LTE that is killing the battery. In an effort to save battery, I've been using this phone on CDMA, strictly 3g.

The screen uses a lot of battery, even on auto brightness settings, but the battery drainer that I have a problem with is "Android System". In previous phones, "Android OS" would be low on the list on the battery stats. However, this "Android System" takes up way too much battery. I've taken this phone off the charger at 100% and within one hour, its down to 83-83% range, Android System taking up over 20% over the battery usage, the screen being slightly above in the high 20% range. So not only is Android OS draining battery, but now Android System is draining more. So the two of them combined make up 40% of the battery's usage, both when idle and in use. Also, when I looked further into the Android System usage I have noticed that it has been running for almost twice as long as my screen has been on, sometimes more. So there is something syncing or going on in the background that is sucking this battery and it is NOT LTE, Screen, or Google+, which is currently disabled. I also have all of the network location settings off, and froze apps and widgets via Root Explorer that I do not use. There is an invisible battery sucker out there and I want it dead!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Ice Cream Sandwich in a nutshell, is great. I love that it's innovative, smooth, and more polished than any Android OS in the past. However, my main gripe is that whatever they did with ICS in the Galaxy Nexus, the battery drains too much.

One may immediately say "It's an LTE phone what do you expect." I know, but the fact is It isn't the LTE that is killing the battery. In an effort to save battery, I've been using this phone on CDMA, strictly 3g.

The screen uses a lot of battery, even on auto brightness settings, but the battery drainer that I have a problem with is "Android System". In previous phones, "Android OS" would be low on the list on the battery stats. However, this "Android System" takes up way too much battery. I've taken this phone off the charger at 100% and within one hour, its down to 83-83% range, Android System taking up over 20% over the battery usage, the screen being slightly above in the high 20% range. So not only is Android OS draining battery, but now Android System is draining more. So the two of them combined make up 40% of the battery's usage, both when idle and in use. Also, when I looked further into the Android System usage I have noticed that it has been running for almost twice as long as my screen has been on, sometimes more. So there is something syncing or going on in the background that is sucking this battery and it is NOT LTE, Screen, or Google+, which is currently disabled. I also have all of the network location settings off, and froze apps and widgets via Root Explorer that I do not use. There is an invisible battery sucker out there and I want it dead!

It seems you have an app that may be constantly running/syncing that is killing your battery. Did you go through and check to see what in particular was using the most/running the most under android system? jw

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It seems you have an app that may be constantly running/syncing that is killing your battery. Did you go through and check to see what in particular was using the most/running the most under android system? jw

Underneath Android System it says:
SDM
System UI
com.android.RTN
Settings
Google Backup Transport
Android System
Key Chain
VpnDialogs
Settings Storage

So the battery drain is coming from one or more of these system processes.

I have no apps that require sync of any type.
Ad free android
Android System Info
Bank of America
Battle.net mobile authenticator
GO SMS Pro (stock Sms frozen)
Miren Browser (stock Browser frozen)
Beautiful Widgets
Flixter Movies
Root Explorer
Swiftkey X
WiFi File Explorer Pro
Wow Armory
Volume+

Location settings are turned and I have absolutely no social networking applications installed on my phone. Android System is running in the background doing something that is draining an extraordinary amount of battery. As of right now, I have a screen on time of 7m and an Android System on time of 32m. Something is going on here.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Underneath Android System it says:
SDM
System UI
com.android.RTN
Settings
Google Backup Transport
Android System
Key Chain
VpnDialogs
Settings Storage

So the battery drain is coming from one or more of these system processes.

I have no apps that require sync of any type.
Ad free android
Android System Info
Bank of America
Battle.net mobile authenticator
GO SMS Pro (stock Sms frozen)
Miren Browser (stock Browser frozen)
Beautiful Widgets
Flixter Movies
Root Explorer
Swiftkey X
WiFi File Explorer Pro
Wow Armory
Volume+

Location settings are turned and I have absolutely no social networking applications installed on my phone. Android System is running in the background doing something that is draining an extraordinary amount of battery. As of right now, I have a screen on time of 7m and an Android System on time of 32m. Something is going on here.

Yeah something is running that shouldn't be. Maybe someone more informed could look at that and see which may be the culprit.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

I use my Touchpad on a daily basis and for the record my Firesale Touchpad has been rebooted 1 time since I purchased it. That's right, ONE TIME and the app that locked it up was Google Picasa. Yet my Galaxy Nexus has had 5 random reboots already. Kind of ironic.

TMC errors? NONE on either device. I actually typing this on my Touchpad so maybe my "notions" are not as far off as you think.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I share similar feelings with the OP and feel that he(she?) brings up some valid concerns. I am a former webOS user and chose to move to a new OS due to the lack of apps and subpar hardware offered by HP. I had a Pre(-), Pixi, and Pre2, so i also share in the frustration of having to settle for(read:adapting to) Android/iOS.

When I moved, I went to iOS, mainly due to its smooth UI and reliability. While I am happy with my iPhone (flame suit) , I miss the multitasking and gestures of webOS. I bought one of the firesale TPs to 'rekindle' some of my webOS love, but have since sold it due to the same resons i originally left: subpar hardware and lack of apps.

Recently, I have decided to give Android a shot through a Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus, running Honeycomb. So far, I am adapting, but things seem less sorted and lacking finish. I kinda feel like Im constantly running a beta OS. I am hoping that ICS will help, as HC is the least stable of the OSs that I have used (with possible exception of webOS on the TP) .

While I know there is a chance that we will never see another webOS device, I still hold out for hope that the best features of webOS will be adapted to android or iOS. For now, there is a slight feeling of dissatisfaction with the current OS offerings. :-(

Sent from my SGH-T869 using Tapatalk

ICS feels like a buggy version of Honeycomb.

Your Samsung experience won't be quite as nice as vanilla Honeycomb on the Xoom (I have a xoom and sg tab 10.1) for the most part the bugs have been worked out.

Anyway point being if you think hc is bad I would hold off getting the GN until at least version 4.1 or 4.2 come out a few months or so.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Imo, multitasking is not early adoption. It's a basic function that a shouldn't have to be waiting for. remember when iphones didn't have copy and paste, I was like it's about time.

But with ICS and multitasking imo it's ridiculous!

I love my GNex still.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
ICS feels like a buggy version of Honeycomb.

Your Samsung experience won't be quite as nice as vanilla Honeycomb on the Xoom (I have a xoom and sg tab 10.1) for the most part the bugs have been worked out.

Anyway point being if you think hc is bad I would hold off getting the GN until at least version 4.1 or 4.2 come out a few months or so.

Really?... sigh.... Thank you for the info... I bought it to try out Android and in hopes that ICS would fix many of its problems... however, it MAY be going back to T-mobile today. (I am within my return policy.)
sigh....

Sorry for jumping somewhat OT.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
No, you are not jumping off topic. Your comments mirror my own. It seems we were hoping for a little better experience. I'm a programmer by day and do a lot of beta testing with Lubuntu, so I may suck it up and see were ICS goes. It's not like I don't like to tinker with stuff, I just thought I was going to like it more than I do and didn't expect the bugs that I'm running across.

Like you said in your previous post nothing is going to multitask like webOS. Plus we know it's pretty much dead right now and there really aren't any hardware options. I agree, the options still leave a little to be desired and feel ICS is still probably my best option.

NoICon

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I generally like ICS on my Nexus as well, but I have to admit that I think I prefer the webOS experience better. Maybe it is just what I am used to and that with time this will change as I become more familiar with the Nexus and ICS. I am not knocking Android in any way; just an opinion.

apRPhle

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Im currently a webOS user (I have the pre minus to be exact) but I'm looking to making a switch bc i need some new hardware. Ive been playing w/a lot of platforms (iOS, android, wp mango) at some stores and basically narrowed it down to android and windows. Just felt that although iOS was safe and stable, it was just too boring, I kind of view it as a kid's phone now, but i am excited to see apple has a new OS with hopefully a new hardware. The ONLY reason i was attracted to ICS was bc of Matias Duarte hoping that his webOS influences would be found in ICS; but the more I read about ICS from previous webOS owners on this forum the more I realize that ICS is not really so much webOS like at all. The more I play with other OS's the more upset I get at HP. IMO, webOS is simply the best, hardware wise it's another story.
I'm leaning towards going with a windows Nokia Lumia 900 (which is rumored to be released in March), it just feels the most webOS like to me. I just fear windows going down the same path as webOS and having to deal with all the hoopla again, that will just suck.
I'll just have to keep playing around and researching each platform before I make a final decision but I do like ICS and what it has to offer and having Matias doesnt hurt either, hahaha.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys figured I would post what's new.

I'm on my second GN now. I flashed a stock 4.0.2 ROM on it on 12/31/11 and it fixed my signal issues completely. I was getting data reliably and the 3g to 4g hand-offs worked fine. I used it for a week and all of the little bugs were still there, but I expected the little bugs. The only issue that still concerned me was the random reboots so I decided to exchange the phone for another unit this past Friday.

The new phone hasn't rebooted yet and has good radio performance right out of the box. Honestly, I still don't think the radio in the GN is that great, but it works good enough when it's working correctly. I'm hoping for a driver update that might make it better, but it gets the job done. Still having some issues with Bluetooth and Google Music doing it's own thing when it wants to, but I'm willing to live with it.

I'm getting use to ICS. I still don't love the UI, I doubt I ever will, but it works. I like that GPS works when I need it. I like voice actions even though they aren't perfect. I love the phone, but I'm scared to death that I will crack the screen soon or later. I still prefer the way webOS handles the basics (I know, "how dare I say that on this forum!"), but since that isn't an option, it's ICS from now until I find something that is better for me.

So I would say that I'm to the "Love/Still don't like a few things" stage.

BTW, I did make my Galaxy Nexus work with the best piece of hardware Palm ever produced. See my signature for the details.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non