only charge to 98%?!

EaglesFANdroidPHAN

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I plug my phone in at night and take it off the charger and the past 8 days it ALWAYS shows 98% I've never been able to get it to 100%. This is what I've tried so far. Stock battery / extended battery with battery stat clears . I've rooted /unlocked tried resetting bat stats again on both batteries. I've tried charging the phone off then turning it on to see 98% again! I even relocked unrooted and tried all of the above to no avail. Am I just crazy?!(not to beat a dead horse but my battery life sucks like Jenny mcarthy on basketball).

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Stop ranting. There are plenty other threads on this topic. But what you are experiencing is completely normal. Since the gn has a lithium ion battery, to avoid damaging it, it doesn't charge up to 100%. It will go up to 98% and then continue to loop between percents up to 98.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: digitalslacker

EaglesFANdroidPHAN

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Stop ranting. There are plenty other threads on this topic. But what you are experiencing is completely normal. Since the gn has a lithium ion battery, to avoid damaging it, it doesn't charge up to 100%. It will go up to 98% and then continue to loop between percents up to 98.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If only I could get that 2%! Hah, thanks for the info.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You can get 100% if you unplug, wait a min or two, plug the phone back in. If it really matters to you.

If you REALLY need the 100%, bump charge it.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
i thought my Extended Battery was messed up until i saw this thread.
BTW i get back 2-4% thought out the day. i look at the battery graph and there is a 1% increase through out the day. 1-4 times.

Screenshot_2011-12-25-20-24-30.png

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Apple does the same thing. :D

yup! HTC also.

People freak out about this one. There are forum and blog posts all over the internet about it and it's never really explained that well.

This is how i heard it explained, tried to dig up the article I read but couldn't find it.

The idea behind how/why they do this is that trickle charging reduce their ability to hold a charge. So to fix it some (most) manufactures change how they charge. They never get all the way to 100% and when they do hit whatever the upper threshold (typically 98%) is that's set it'll stop charging until it gets to a lower threshold, usually about 94%...then start charging again. It'll repeat that process.

I will admit that it's very confusing because it's reasonable to assume that 100% is the max cuz that's how math works.

The Gnex's battery sucks for 3 reasons. 1) The screen 2) LTE 3) I can't stop playing with it.

But, I'd much rather my phone still hold a good solid charge in a year....which is the problem that this practice is designed to solve.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have seen mine get up go 100%...just last night in fact. It does not stay there however. Once it gets there it stops charging and starts up again about ~95%

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
did a test for you guys.

Screenshot_2011-12-29-14-55-47.png

when it hit 100%
I left it on the charger to see how long it takes before it starts going down.

Screenshot_2011-12-29-15-18-54.png

can say it takes about 20mins on the charger after it hits 100%.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
My xoom will get to 100% and stay there for a few minutes of use. If its in deep sleep it will stay there about an hour. My iPhone won't however.

I think its just how the strength is being reported via the software....